dowdowburns

Bathroom Tiles....

dowdowburns
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
Hello....

I need some help regarding my bathroom tiles.

I would like to know if I do one wall (like a feature wall) with blue pattern tile and the other 3 walls in wood tiles would be OK or not with my existing floor (similar to stone like tiles).

Quick sketch of my bathroom also attached.

Thank you.

[New floor tiles' image attached]

Comments (43)

• mariaed
    10 years ago
    The blue tile and wood are beautiful and will look lovely together.
    It's a bit hard to tell but is there a pink or green tone to the floor tiles?
    dowdowburns thanked mariaed
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No, the photo looks like that. The floor tile has light cream, beige and off-white tones
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Floor tiles are like the ones in this photo.... but in 60X60
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Any ideas please?
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Two highly patterned tiles on four walls and a basic neutral tile make a lot of tile. I'd go with one main color and one accent color. But it is a personal decision.
    dowdowburns thanked apple_pie_order
  • PRO
    Torch Lake Glass
    10 years ago
    It looks to me like you are trying to cram a lot of decoration into a very small bathroom. I appreciate what you are trying to do but if you consider your dream photos again, you will see that the space in both of those bathrooms is WAY larger than what you have to work with.
    You can still have wood and the patterned tiles, but in smaller quantities. How about a border of the blue tiles in the shower and maybe on the front of the dividing wall to the toilet? Wood on the window wall only?
    Possibly remove a few of the larger floor tiles and replace them with the blue ones as accents - if sized correctly, you could probably remove one floor tile and replace it with 4 blue ones - or remove some of the center tiles in the floor and do an insert of the blue tiles or a border of the blue - depends on current layout of floor tiles.
    Then paint the other walls in a neutral tone and accessorize with the colors that you like.
    dowdowburns thanked Torch Lake Glass
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    10 years ago
    I think It will look way to busy, TLG is right! In my opinion the smaller baths should be somewhat lighter colors on walls and darker on he floor.
    dowdowburns thanked Stecki Construction
  • cinderellaslipper
    10 years ago
    I think it will look very stylish, quite retro with an uplifting atmosphere...I'm much more a vintage girl than retro, but love other people's take on this wonderful style source..
    dowdowburns thanked cinderellaslipper
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Does it look bad if I'll make all the 4 walls in wood tiles [with the stone floor tiles] ?
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Another idea I was thinking about was, I'll make the sink wall with patchwork and the other 3 walls I'll make them in very very light grey. But I'm not sure how it looks with my existing floor tiles :/
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I know I'm asking too much.... but another problem I had when I was considering patchwork tiles.... I cannot fit 20 exact tiles for example, I can fit 19.5.... I'm completely lost :(
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    It would be easier to comment if you posted photos.
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I have nothing ready, I still need to buy the wall tiles. But I need to decide before buying anything....
  • cinderellaslipper
    10 years ago
    The only other thing would be to be very careful how you do the lighting for a bold colour scheme such as this..you need up lighters and down lighters to give it life...
  • PRO
    TileWorks
    10 years ago
    That's a lot of different tile patterns and lines for one bathroom IMO .
    dowdowburns thanked TileWorks
  • liasosa
    10 years ago
    Where did you get the white tile from, what are they called, I'm looking for an off white tile for my kitchen Renov, has dark cabinets, thanks
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    "If the tiles don't fit exactly the tiler should be able to center the tiles and cut the end ones to size." Thank you for this :)
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    If I want to make one whole wall [behind sink] with small hand-painted tiles, and keep the floors tiles, can I go with white tiles (with light grey grouting) for the other walls?
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    If you post a photo of your current floor tiles, it will be easier to get useful advice.

What decorative effect are you aiming for?
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    apple_pie_order, she has photos of her floor at the top. I don't know if they are coming through to your computer.
    dowdowburns thanked J Petempich
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Photos attached....

I'm still waiting for the floor tiles to be installed in the bathroom.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Sounds like to much going on in a bathrm. I like the wood but not the blue tiles.
    dowdowburns thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Don't do whole bath in wood just a accent wall. Paint other walls. A darker color than floors.
    dowdowburns thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Forget the wood walls....

If I want to make one whole wall [behind sink] with small hand-painted tiles, and keep the floors tiles, can I go with white tiles (with light grey grouting) for the other walls?
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    @J. Petempich: thanks. Okay, I think I understand now. "Keep the floors tiles" means get the new beige ones installed.
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    What I meant was; to keep the idea of installing the beige ones.
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    Talavera tiles are quite expensive in the United States and the blue wall will run you more the $2,000 just for the wall tiles. If you aren't in the US and are where the tiles are made and costing you much less my feeling is that you can be more creative with these type of tiles. I heard you mention a patch work and I think I know exactly what you mean. I picked out the bright blue and most people probably say OMG what was she thinking and I also have a green bath done the same way with green talavera. I think there maybe some beige or off white porcelain tiles that I have seen that may look good with the blue.
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    Ok, I did my math and went on e-bay and it is considerably less for talavera tiles than I originally calculated. Good thing.
  • jentconnelly
    10 years ago
    Check out these floors in the bathroom that look like wood... But they're porcelain. Just an idea
    dowdowburns thanked jentconnelly
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    If it was mine, which I know it's not, I would go with 1 wall of the blue talavera tiles that you like, three walls with some kind of white/beige porcelain and a wood tile floor like the one jentconnelly has. I have heard the crevices in the light beige tiles in your photo get dirt in them and they are hard to clean. I forgot about the walk in shower. I wonder how the wood tile would work there?
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like your comment above :)

The good thing about the floor tiles is that they are very easy to clean, due the fact that the tile feel is like a glossy one, even those it's matte. I don't know if you could understand what I'm trying to say :) But I'm also considering a wood tile floor or more solid floor tiles.

And about the feature wall with those tiles, I find a good price on 20X20 hand painted tiles.
    Now is it bad if I make the other 3 walls with white tiles and light grey grouting?
    And what size should I get them please? Because I don't want to try to match the grouts of the 20X20 tiles.

Thank you :)
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    I think a very light grey for all the tiles would be good. I really think the walls should all be grouted the same color. I would have the larger white/beige tile laid length wise but not offset. I am hoping others beside me will weigh in on this.
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    Thank you, all, for your wonderful comments and questions! We've had such inter · More Info

What do you think of this. I started looking at pictures and because your grout is probably going to be close to your tile color, it probably wouldn't look bad to offset the tiles either.
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This is the 20X20 hand painted tile [for the feature wall behind the sink].
  • J Petempich
    10 years ago
    I really like Talavera tiles. Not everyone has tile with a rich history starting with the Moors/Spain/Mexico they are unlike tiles that seem to be going out of style every 10 years or sooner. If you don't have a couple of these tiles I would order them so you could get a true background color to match.
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your help but I will be the blue tiles locally at a very good price, because I already got a quotation. BTW did you like the tile pattern? :)
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Wow! The blue and white tiles are absolutely gorgeous. I would start with those, match their white background with plain white tiles for the wall, and put in a wood grain or dark blue tile floor. I would use white grout on the wall tile because it allows the blue and white tiles to be the star like they should be. Nothing should compete with them. The J. Petempich photo above shows how effective using a single strip of pattern can be. Put the blue and white tiles at a level where you can see them easily, but not at the level where towel bar holes get drilled.

I'll try to put your proposed floor tile and the blue-white tile photos together below.
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I don't think white grout is great in a bathroom. I really like it but by time it won't stay white :(

BTW I like the combined pictures too.
  • kathyjohnstonkathy
    10 years ago
    I would do wo od tiles on the floor and use the gorgeous blue and white as a feature with white wall tile surrounding them. I think the originally planned floor tile is way to boring for the blue and white. The combo with the wood on the floor seems more authentic with the blue and white.
    dowdowburns thanked kathyjohnstonkathy
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Hmm. Well, you could use light gray or light beige to match the floor tile for most of the grout and white between the blue-white tiles if you end up making a stripe with them. Can you buy one sample tile of each of the blue-white and the beige and a couple white-ish tiles? What country are you in?
  • dowdowburns
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm from Malta (Europe) :) No, that particular tile I cannot have a sample, but I'm going to print 4 tiles pattern on a3 sheet, so I can see the pattern more clearly, and take the print with me when I will go for the other tiles.

I really appreciate every single comment guys :)

I also have this discussion open, if you would like to help you are VERY welcome :)
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/modern-mid-century-bedroom-ideas-dsvw-vd~930784
  • teresa23185
    9 years ago

who makes floor tiles?