hobbshire

Realistic Porcelain "Slate"?

hobbshire
10 years ago
I have fallen in love with Daltile's California Gold gauged cleft tile flooring, but the realities of putting this tile down in a household that includes multiple dogs gives me grave pause. Does anyone have the name of a porcelain tile that comes close to rivaling the look of real slate, hopefully in the soft gray/brown/green/gold tones of the California Gold?

Comments (13)

• hobbshire
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Deborah. It looks like a good possibility. Did you use the "autumn", and if so, did it have a rosy tint? I don't want to go in that direction, but fear that the "multi-color" would be too dark and too busy? But thanks so much for the reference!
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Why are you afraid of using natural surface? No issues with black slate and my puppies :)
  • hobbshire
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The slate I have fallen in love with has a rough, cleft surface and would probably snag dog hair quite easily. I don't think that all slates are necessarily as rough as this one, especially the darker, more monochromatic ones. But my color scheme needs a lighter slate with more of the brown tones.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    We did use the Autumn. It is a very nice tile. I'll try to find a picture when I get back to the office.
  • hobbshire
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks Deborah. I'll have to see where I can find this tile locally. I've found that bringing a sample into the space where it will be used is the safest way to make a selection!
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Absolutely you're right to get a sample and look at it in your space. We sampled several before deciding on the Autumn.
  • PRO
    STONE SOURCE INC. (INDIA)
    10 years ago
    YOU CAN TRY DIS MATERIAL
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I can't find the picture of the Autumn except in a book here at the office. I tried scanning it but the quality is pretty bad. It does not have any rose tints to it.
  • PRO
    Valley Floors
    10 years ago
    If your biggest concern is the cleft finish, check out other suppliers who may offer the same stone in a honed or tumbled finish. California Gold is a pretty popular stone, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.
  • hobbshire
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Deborah & Valley Floors - Thanks so much for your comments. I think I will have to spend some time visiting more flooring showrooms to better investigate all our options. We used to live in Las Vegas . . . A veritable "candy store" of sources for flooring. Not only stores that carried multiple brands, but many manufacturers (Daltile, Arizona Tile & Stone, Walker Zanger, Interceramic, to name a few) had their own large showrooms and stone yards. We now live in the Pittsburgh area, and the sources are more limited. But I am slowly finding some that we will be visiting. Deborah - I am glad that the tile you mentioned doesn't have rosy tones; now I just have to find a sample, hopefully locally. And to Valley Floors, I may still try to find a less fragile slate, perhaps in a honed version. I have to wonder whether the Daltile that I got from Home Depot is of lesser quality (seconds?) than what I would have gotten by sourcing through Daltile?
  • PRO
    Valley Floors
    10 years ago
    Sometimes Home Depot does purchase seconds. But, some slates just want to shale and flake off.