mapelalg

Can James Hardie siding be combined with old cedar shake siding?

mapelalg
10 years ago
My home is covered with random width cedar shake siding. I want to re-side the two badly sun damaged sides with James Hardie random width shake siding and leave the other two sides with the old shake and then repaint the entire home. Has anyone tried this and does the blend work?

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    As long as the hardie siding is closely related in style and on a different side of the house it would be acceptable.
  • PRO
    Dunrite Contracting
    10 years ago
    I agree it will work , but make sure you replace all your corner moldings and trim with either versatec , azac, or some type of composite board . It's a bit more money but it will not rot later on down the line and then you will pay double
  • PRO
    American Home Contractors
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    If your home has a lot of trim, you may want to consider residing the whole house with Hardie, verse paying the cost difference for the composite trims and painting everything. It would be a one source warranty too, which is valuable, and a lot less maintenance. If you keep the cedar shakes, make sure to use a composite to separate the cedar and the Hardie.
  • PRO
    PPF.
    9 years ago
    old post