incubus_of_habit

Unobtrusive closet doors for hallway laundry?

Darrel Austin
10 years ago
Our laundry is in our entrance hallway under the stairs. This causes a traffic jam when doing laundry as the bifold doors when open block half of the hallway. I'm trying to figure out a solution.

A barn or pocket door would be ideal, but due to the length of the hallway (short) there'd be no place for a door like that to go.

That leaves 3 options I can think of:

1) find a narrow stacking set. The catch is that I don't think I have enough vertical room for a full size stacked system. However, if I find one, I could have two sliding doors as I'd only need to open one door to access the washer and dryer.

2) curtains. Remove the doors and use curtains. This might work but a this seems a bit tacky/unfinished looking to me. Anyone see this work well?

3) use that amazing set of doors I never knew about or that other great idea both of which I'm sure you all can offer! ;)

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Alabama Sawyer
    10 years ago
    Can you post an image of the area? Is bi-parting an option?
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Can you have doors made that retract into the closet,
    Similar to this?

http://houzz.com/photos/52234
  • Judy M
    10 years ago
    Look at door on far right
    http://houzz.com/photos/3022750
  • Darrel Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cliff: will try to get a photo up soon
    Judy: that's a great idea! Any idea what those are called? The one catch is that we're under stairs so the door on the 'up' side of the stairs could do that, but not the ones on the 'down' side but it's definitely a good idea.
  • Darrel Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hard to get a good angle but here's a photo. As you can see, if the Buford's are fully open they stick out a good 15" from the wall.
  • Darrel Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fred: THAT is an interesting product! That said, I think I found another solution on that same site: Full Access Bi-folds. It looks like instead of a track it uses a hinge arm so after the doors are folded open, you can then fold them flat against the wall. While think doesn't get rid of the problem completely it looks like it will greatly reduce it for us. And the price looks like an easy gamble to give it a shot.
  • Darrel Austin
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • User
    10 years ago
    Very nice. I knew they had a lot of good stuff, but had forgotten about those.