sim_k37

Hotel Reception Ideas

13 days ago

Hi there, I am wondering this is an empty hotel reception. The carpet is uploaded. I want it to look nice bright and welcoming. The carpet is the main feature. What colours would I do the walls? Any ideas? One solid colour or have have a combination colour? Thanks in advance ๐Ÿ˜Š

Comments (38)

• 13 days ago

I think you should consider the style of the bedrooms and be consistent in reception. Can you post a picture of a bedroom?

• 13 days ago

Bedroom is a cream on the walls with a feature wall of this brown shade. The carpet in the bedrooms will be in the picture provided. I wanted the reception to not be too brown themed and to make it slightly different in reception and landing. Thank you for your comment

• Related Discussions

Q

Comments (13)
    One possibility would be to swap the living room and the dining room. Since the current living room is larger than the current dining room you could still keep some comfortable seating (couch and upholstered chairs?) against the front wall for a keeping room/dining concept. Then your new dining areas (kitchen and dining room) and living areas (living and drawing room) would have good flow between them, which would work well both for family and entertaining. You could also add some builtin bookshelves in the drawing room or new living room to create a library area to add another fun element to the living areas. These bookshelves could be against the long walls in the drawing room, around the window with a window seat in the living room (former dining room), or built to create some separation in the open area between the drawing room and living room/stair area. Your plan seems to show some sort of builtin there, but I'm not sure what it is.
    ...See More

How to utilize area under this staircase?

Q

Comments (19)
    Hi, There are a number of ways in which the area under a staircase can be utilized. In case of a cramped house or space restrictions, this space can be used for providing storage, services or even a powder room as elaborated below : In case there are no space constraints and all the other areas are taken care of, the space below the stairs can be used for add ons such as a library, study, cellar or a minibar. In case there are any dogs in the house, this area serves as a spacious and compact kennel too : Apart from this, if the space is to be treated solely considering aesthetics, it can be livened up using a bit of indoor landscaping, sculptures and water body : Hope these ideas help. Do let us know what you decided to choose. All the best! Regards, RnD Atelier Nagpur
    ...See More

Hotel Room study table design

Q

Comments (1)
    please find attached
    ...See More

wants to convert a residential building to hotel plz contact

Q

Comments (4)
    Dear Mr. Sanjay, Before you initiate the conversion process, it is imperative to define conversion of the existing spaces and utilities with minimal intrusion to existing structure in case of renovation. You could convert them into various hospitality formats as a simple B&B, homestay, boutique hotel, business stay, serviced apartments etc. all depending on the geographical location and business model. You could select any model and proceed with any professional available at your location . Regards, Aurum Ideas and Spaces Bhubaneswar +91-9078942136
    ...See More
  • 13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

The reason I was asking about the bedrooms was to try and find a theme. I think you should try to mimic the room colours but perhaps make it look more decorated with wallpaper or art. Is there a bar in there too? If so I think you should get professiknal help with lighting and furniture as the bar could increase your income dramatically

• 12 days ago

Do you already have an idea about furniture and a reception desk? You cannot choose a wall colour randomly, it all has to work together. What about mirrors and lighting? I think you might need a bright or at least a deep colour in there to add some character. Wallpaper is another good option. Post a pic of what you want to include in reception.

• 12 days ago

Wallpaper I stripped off as I think it looks dated. Yes a bar area too. What is progessional gel?

No idea about furniture. There is already a reception desk there. Lighting are spotlights with a warm yellow light. I have a chandelier led one coming for the middle of the reception which will also be a statement piece. It is only a 3 star hotel. I will post a picture of what Ideas I have so far. Thank you guys

• PRO
    12 days ago

I think you are going this the wrong way around.

do you have some inspirational images of what you want your hotel to be, and feel like?

Who is your customer, and where are you located?

I strongly suggest that you get that sorted first. Ether by looking at hotel room ideas on Pinterest or hotel and B&B receptions online.

Don't think that you need to copy every detail, but it gives you ideas on materials, and colour palettes styles ( modern, contemporary, traditional,, beachy, rustic, biophilic, ....)

Once you have that, then it's easier to design the areas so everything is cohesive.

and I wouldn't consider that carpet "the room feature" but I think it can work with various design options without the need to be replaced.

Alternatively, you can hire an interior designer to help you with that.

• PRO
    12 days ago

Hi Sim, perhaps you can share some ideas with us? Choosing a wall colour based on just a carpet is the wrong way to go. You want everything to flow and have purpose, and the choice of furniture is just as important.

• PRO
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Here are some examples of nice hotel rooms that might inspire you.

And what customers look for in 2024. With soo many airbnb, B&B and boutique hotels you have to have beautiful comfy rooms to attract customers.

• 12 days ago

Iโ€™m sorry but your chosen carpet is awful. I would choose a wood type flooring, maybe with rugs if there are lounging areas. Easy to keep clean and will have a modern theme. I wouldnโ€™t go brown either, done well it can look amazing, but done badly will not attract customers. Ive stayed in a beautiful hotel in Southwold a while ago (The Swan Hotel). Every room was beautifully decorated. Some rooms were colourful and some were subtle. The decor and the fantastic service is what keeps me going back, plus the location of course!

First picture is part of the lounge.

• 12 days ago

This is a 5* hotel, but the decor is easily copied on a tighter budget. Paint is cheap!

• 12 days ago

Thank you for your comments I will update with pictures shortly. I can take criticism but may I just include this is my first project Iโ€™ve dealt with. And as any new project you make mistakes along the way. The carpet may not be a first 10/10 pick but Iโ€™ve picked it and ordered it now and thereโ€™s no going back. Furniture wise again unsure as what used to be here were purple sofas. Itโ€™s a very old hotel and has been closed for years. This is why I have come onto this app for help. Willing to pay for advice as I know things donโ€™t come for free. I have attached some pictures of what the layout used to be like before and maybe you can get a jist of why I wanted to strip it all down and make it look a bit better. Thank you

• 12 days ago

Thank you for your comments I will update with pictures shortly. I can take criticism but may I just include this is my first project Iโ€™ve dealt with. And as any new project you make mistakes along the way. The carpet may not be a first 10/10 pick but Iโ€™ve picked it and ordered it now and thereโ€™s no going back. Furniture wise again unsure as what used to be here were purple sofas. Itโ€™s a very old hotel and has been closed for years. This is why I have come onto this app for help. Willing to pay for advice as I know things donโ€™t come for free. I have attached some pictures of what the hotel reception used to look like before and maybe it can give you all an idea as to why I wanted to change it as it looks very dated and old. I wanted to spruce it up a tad! I have also attached a picture of the light that will be hanging from the middle of the reception along with spot lights around the edges of the reception.

• 12 days ago

Light is fantastic so that could be your inspiration. You may still be able to cancel the carpet order so worth looking at the companyโ€™s cancellation policy. You may charged a cancellation fee. I rather liked the original carpet. There are several interior designers on Houzz under Professionals if you decide to get help.

• 12 days ago

Piur has said what I intended to say but without autocorrect changing the words professional advice. By asking for a bedroom picture I was trying to establish a bit more about your market and the planned feel for the hotel. From this thread I donโ€™t feel like that has been stated- itโ€™s unclear if this hotel is catering for families on holiday, business travellers or any one of many niche. And itโ€™s important to know your market- if your patrons are travelling manual workers then this area needs a small reception desk, a large bar with a sports subscription and tables not sofas to serve burgers. If your clientele are older they might prefer a more sumptuous decorating style than the clean modern style you envisage and business travellers have the pick of large corporate hotels so you need to decide how you get them to stay with you- likely price wonโ€™t be the influence you need perhaps to feel more homely.

Consider getting the expert opinion of a business manager about your target market and then recruiting a designer to help maximise this income producing area if for no other reason that these are the principal pictures you will use for marketing and first impression pics tend to be the ones that travellers post online.

• 12 days ago

Hi,

This hotel used to be more catered to older folk coming past as a half way stop point to get to their destination. Coaches used to come and park and old folk used to stay in this hotel. It is in a village type country side. It is only located near to village shops. There is another few hotels 5 or so miles up. Since the company went into administration during Covid it has been closed. I just want to tidy it up first as I do not want to spend extortion amounts of money on a project which I am unsure will give me the revenue back. It is a trial and error. I wanted to touch it up and be basic with it to know who my clientele will be after such a long period of being closed. We are based in Gloucestershire which is located near to Cheltenham/Bristol/Bath all tourist type areas and Iโ€™m presuming will be very busy during peak times in summer. I want to build a repor with customers when open to then know what my market will be. Itโ€™s all fair and well hiring a business manager when the business has been closed for years if that makes sense. This will just be like a complete new start. Hotels must be making some sort of money as thereโ€™s a couple located along the same road as this one. We have ample parking the space is so big. Itโ€™s about finding the right people to help me along the way. Ask me anything about cooking and cleaning! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I will have a look under the professionals tab and see if I can get further help. I do appreciate everyoneโ€™s feedback.

In regards to do I have a rough image of how I want the hotel reception to be? Yes and no. You see so many ideas on Pinterest where do you stop?! I have gone waaaaaay over budget. Do I re upholster the furniture I have or should I just buy new?

• 12 days ago

Sorry unsure as to why the pictures posted again! Apologies

• 12 days ago

If you are over budget you cancel the new carpet get the old one cleaned and work with that. Get the existing furniture cleaned and then decorate around what you have.

Separately I imagined the hotel was abroad but since itโ€™s in an area lots of us know and you want it to be a commercial success you should also use this forum to tell people exactly where it isโ€ฆ.. and those of us who lived in Cheltenham for decades will will likely have some insight about your clientele

• 12 days ago

The hotel is called The Prince Of Wales Hotel in Berkeley, Gloucestershire.

Unfortunately the carpets cannot be refunded. The old carpet is not good, itโ€™s been in here so many years since it was built I think. Itโ€™s faded, even more dirty now since everywhere has been plastered etc. Iโ€™m trying to think of the hotel as somewhere homely, welcoming and cosy. Not your typical hotel. I want to build the clientele. Support local farms by buying produce from there etc. Thank you

• 12 days ago

Hi Sim, just wanted to say Good luck in your new venture! Let Jonathan guide you. Heโ€™s the best. I haven't stayed in that hotel but the area is beautiful. @Sonia I used to stayed at the one in Southwold many years ago before their refurb when we visited family in Lowestoft.

• 12 days ago

@robert thank you Robert for your kind words.

• 12 days ago

@Jonathon would be great to discuss further.

• 12 days ago

I think we should arrange a coach trip over to The Prince of Wales and help design a room each! So many exciting possibilities.

• 12 days ago

@Sonia most welcome anytime! I will get the tea and biscuits ready!

• 12 days ago

The best free advice here ever from Jonathan and Sonia. You also need to think about spending enough to attract clientele. Speculate to accumulate. Go all in or don't even start. I am not suggesting crazy spending but research is free and maybe a few hours with an interior designer to formulate a plan, recommended sourcing and maybe trade discounts are worth considering. It isn't just a house. You could waste your entire investment if you get it wrong. I'm afraid I totally agree with Sonia on the choice of carpet. I understand the need for hardwearing and pattern but not that one. Off to The Swan now as it looks fantastic.

• 11 days ago

This is also a three star hotel. It's stunning I've stayed there. Just to give you some ideas. It suits all ages not a target market.

https://gannetstives.co.uk/

• 11 days ago

Iโ€™m surprised about peoples reaction to the carpet. But if you consistently get feedback you canโ€™t ignore it. So with this in mind you should approach the supplier to see if you can switch to an alternative. You will have to roll with it if you canโ€™t change the order but be persistent- sometimes people say something canโ€™t be done just because they donโ€™t want the extra work.

• 11 days ago

Personally I donโ€™t mind this carpet for the reception. Whilst I think it is serviceable and will work with lots of decorating schemes I think itโ€™s overall brown feel is inconsistent with what you were saying about having a modern and light feel. Personally I think the original carpet was probably a better choice for the look you were going for.

And I have seen the grottiest carpets brought back to life by professional cleaning so would seriously consider seeing if the original can be revived. Perhaps you should hire a cleaner and try?

• 11 days ago

And Iโ€™m not keen on this- I understand itโ€™s pattern is forgiving but I think guests have become suspicious of that preferring a lighter carpet and a feeling of cleanliness.

• 11 days ago

Thank you for your in depth comments Jonathon. It is truly appreciated. Unfortunately with the carpet I am unable to change. With the reception and the rooms. So it will have to stay. Either way I am very confident that this hotel will look immediately better from what it was. I have to go with the carpet I have already purchased now. Noted for next time though! Thank you.

I have arranged to have a call with an interior designer to give some advice too. Hopefully things will get sorted. Are you local to the hotel Jonathon?

• 10 days ago

Just had an idea! How about laying large jute/hessian rugs on top of the carpet in strategic places to calm everything down?

• 10 days ago

Sim- I moved away 10 years ago I now live in Leeds but I know Dursley and Sharpness and Berkeley very well.

• 9 days ago

Are we sure Jonathan isnโ€™t Lord Sugar in disguise? P.S. the idea of rugs in reception isnโ€™t a good idea, it trips up the zimmer frames!

• 9 days ago

Eileen- Youโ€™re Fired

• 9 days ago

Oh Noโ€ฆ. And here is me thinking Iโ€™d get through on my looks, oh well back to the drawing board.

• 8 days ago

Eileen you may be right about tripping over rugs. My living room rug had puckered a bit like they do and I went flying landing on my poor old kneesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆwhereโ€™s the Zimmerman frame? ๐Ÿ˜Š

• 6 days ago

I know Iโ€™m not an AI, but am now wondering which one of Krle-15 or SIM.R isโ€ฆ.odd how both have identical problems re smoke house/restaurant, so sad.

• 6 days ago

Eileen- I think both of these posts are real. I think if you smell an AI you should be speculating about one of the professional designers who leaves a generic comment on every post and never posts a picture. I think they are real but they have purchased a service to create noise.