webuser_158157511

Porcelain Countertops Chipping

HU-158157511
2 years ago

I did a full remodel to the studs. Porcelain slab kitchen countertops were installed and within 1 month we have had two separate chips in the countertop. One of the chips was caused by my 3-year old who I watched bump a clay bowl into the countertop as he placed it on the counter. He didn't slam the bowl and there was no damage (not even a scratch) to the bowl. The other chip was caused by pyrex tupperware banging into the mitered edge from about a half inch off the surface.

The manufacturer claims chips are "rare", but that they happen. I was willing to live with the first chip (caused by pyrex), but two chips in one month doesn't seem "rare" makes me worried for the future. And the damage to countertop but not the bowl I described above makes me think this product is anything but strong or durable.

Can anyone suggest a remedy here? My contractor agrees this shouldn't happen and he hasn't seen it before in his experience. The manufacturer initially said they'd send a rep out and would investigate my fabricator to determine whether it was a fabricator or manufacturer issue, but then backed off that and instead just gave me the line about chips being "rare" but that they do happen.

Damaged caused by pyrex:

Damaged caused by cereal bowl:

Comments (42)

Sponsored