webuser_138149670

Decreasing Bedroom Size To Add Closets vs Home Value

Everton Media
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi everyone. I live in a 19th century Italinate Wood Frame home (think Brownstone style) with modest bedroom sizes. The third bedroom is a tiny 8'9x8'4 room without a closet which gets to "qualify" as a bedroom because of the time it was built. Attached is the current floor plan of the bedroom floor alongside a possible layout change.

In your opinion, would this change be worth it with respect to home value? A contractor that I am working with suggests turning the existing closets into one large master closet for the master bedroom, and then taking off close to two feet of space off of the second bedroom to make closets for the tiny room and second bedrooms. The current closets are currently only 15" deep! However, modifications could bring them out to at least 17 or 18 inches. I'd probably then add custom woodcrest systems to increase functionality and usability.

The tiny room, though it qualifies as a bedroom, would then be a true bedroom in the modern sense even thought it will still be tiny (still big enough to fit a full sized bed with walking space and space for a dresser and TV stand however).

What are your thought and thanks in advance for answering! Would making that second bedroom smaller be a major negative?

Comments (21)

• houssaon
    3 years ago

I would not change the layout.

Everton Media thanked houssaon
  • marylut
    3 years ago

A bigger master BR closet is a big plus. But 18” wide is the absolute minimum because the hanger shoulder will be right up against the closet wall. An extra 2” for the closet would make a bigger impact than losing 2” in the BR. Where is the BR door, I assume it is not moving? The full size platform bed will be snug but workable in the middle BR.

Everton Media thanked marylut
  • marylut
    3 years ago

Meant “little BR” not middle BR.

• Everton Media
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi marylut. The doors will stay exactly where they are. I quickly created the modified floor plan so readers of this thread would know exactly what my intentions were.

I did the measurements for a full size bed and in the little bedroom, there will be walkable space. It would fit between the wall and doorway with two inches of space on either side. The previous owners had a twin bunk bed in there.

I will heed your advice for the closet space thank you!

• PRO
    Beth Patrick @ Closet Factory (Cleveland)
    3 years ago

Closets do add real value to a home. Custom closet, especially in the master, increase value as well. However, in order to hang clothes, you need a minimum of 24" in depth. I would enlarge the master closets and add, even though small, closets to all the bedrooms. This will make a difference for resale!

Everton Media thanked Beth Patrick @ Closet Factory (Cleveland)
  • Everton Media
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi @Beth Patrick @ Closet Factory (Cleveland). Thanks for your response. The current closet in the Master Bedroom has about 18" behind the closet door and the wooden hangers (17") I have in there (from Target) can face outward without touching the door or back close wall, so I think I'll be fine with 18". On either side of the door trim however (behind the walls on either side), there is only 15" of space currently, so the hangers behind the walls have to face diagonally when pushing items on either side of the closest door. The current master closet is also 81" wide. If I lengthen it to the size of the room wall, it will be about 153" if I go through with this project.

• Everton Media
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@calidesign The hallway between the Bathroom, Stairway, Master Bathroom up to the north side of Bedroom 2 is only 38"W x 93"D.

The area between the Stairway, Bedroom 2 and Bedroom 3 is about 77"W and 41"D, so not really space for anything but to move things like furniture in and out of that area.

I just have a Target Cube Organizer in that area.

Thanks for the encouraging words!

• marylut
    3 years ago

If the 8’4” wall is the window wall, full bed could fit this way, with wall sconces.

• marylut
    3 years ago

If the 8’9” wall is the window wall, full bed and a night stand could fit this way, but the door has just enough room to swing open.

• marylut
    3 years ago

In your area, regardless of closet, does the local code require a minimum room size to list a room as a BR?

• Everton Media
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@marylut Thanks for the diagram. What I had in mind was your first one, but backwards with the head of the bed next to the door opening.

The home was built before records were kept and as such is "grandfathered". The deed and all city records list the home as a three bedroom, so it qualifies in this special instance. If the home were built today of course, then it most likely would just make it (it's just over 70 sq ft).

• marylut
    3 years ago

This is 8’4” window wall with full bed 75” long. i guess you can still access part of the closet if you use bypass closet doors. Will the closet wall be wide enough for the dooroverhead track?

• Everton Media
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@marylut Thanks for the helpful diagrams! That is exactly what I had in mind and bypass sliding doors or a pocket door is what my contractor suggested.

I looks like I may have to apply for a permit should I make these changes however and I am going to explore putting these plans in motion.

Which program are you using by the way to come up with those drawings?

• marylut
    3 years ago

It’s a free App called Interior Design for iPad. It also has a 3D view. The furniture design choices are limited, but you can easily change the dimensions.

• marylut
    3 years ago

Anyone buying your home will be interested in it’s charm and history. Your plan to add a closet to the small BR and expand the master BR closet will add bonus value.. The other guest bedroom will be big enough after the changes.

• marylut
    3 years ago

I wonder if your contractor could move the door into the small BR like this to give the room a bigger feel?

• marylut
    3 years ago

And if the BR door can move, you could switch the closets, allowing more room to open the dresser drawers. It May have very little impact of switching closets on the bed arrangement in the other guest BR. And you could wall mount the TV across from the bed in the small BR so the dresser top can be clear. I probably have window placement wrong, but you can get the idea.

• marylut
    3 years ago

A pocket door adds more value than a bypass door, but if there are any pipes or electrical wires inside the wall that hinder the pocket door slide path, they must be moved.

• Everton Media
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@marylut. Those designs are fascinating. Thanks so much for taking an interest in this. I will ask my contractor the work involved and permits required to move the door. That would definitely make the room feel much larger and more convenient. A plan on maybe adding a murphy door either way to that room for the main door for that room for more storage options (i.e. a toy bin/laundry basket etc).

I will download that app for sure. The point of view image you uploaded resembles precisely what I had in mind for that room.

• marylut
    3 years ago

Thanks for letting me be part of your dilemma. Fun project to exercise my noggin. Hoping permits are not needed for interior work.