christinae15

Color my Kitchen!!

christinae15
4 years ago

I’m redoing my kitchen. I wasn’t the one that designed it in the first place. I bought it and now I’m ready to change it! The issues I’m having are

1. The granite countertops are black. I like them. They can stay.
  2. I hate the cabinet color and want to change it. But with black counters, my options are limited.
  3. I’ve always said I will never have a white kitchen, but bc of the counters... I might HAVE to!
  4. The rest of my house is beautiful grays, silvers, and splashes of purple. I want the kitchen to stay neutral colors.
  5. I wouldn’t mind gray cabinets, I love gray!!! But I have not found one shade I like on any cabinets I’ve seen.
  6. I’m open to split color cabinets (one color on top, different on the bottom)
  7. The light fixtures and the backsplash are going to be changed or gone.
    SEND IDEAS AND HELP!!! Will mostly black kitchen looks awful??? Please help me!!

Comments (49)

• AC LB
    4 years ago

Without painting your cabinets, the best thing you could do to lighten up your space would be to change your countertops to a lighter color. Your floor is. Also going to limit your choices in cabinet color. Are you planning on changing that? If not, I would paint your (beautiful cabinets) white. I’d stay away from painting them gray as that is a passing trend. Good luck.

• Steph
    4 years ago

I think white would be tricky with that warm flooring. How about a sage green, that leans grey. Black counters and sage green is classic, but I understand everything is grey or white around here. SW has a color called sage green which looks great. I installed black soapstone and painted my cabinets BM Cheyenne Green in Satin Impervo.

• Related Discussions

need help for colors sceam

Q

Comments (2)
    I suggest that you keep your color scheme warm to contrast with the dark wood, colors like burnt orange, mustard yellow, etc.
    ...See More

Need help choosing the kitchen cabinet color with counter top !

Q

Comments (3)
    You are going to have to leave your comfort zone on this one. Walnut is "brown", you have "pink" as a counter top. I would suggest going with another version of the colours already in the room. you have gray/beige and white. I would hesitate going white...but it can be done. You can move into the grays and be very happy (it would look very modern) or you can move into a beige that holds a hint of pink in it (not pink...but a blush of warmth). Or you could go really wonky and add in something like a brushed stainless steel look to the cabinets and have it go "space age". There are specs of blue/gray in this counter top. The next think to look at is an "ashwood" or dark gray wood presentation that has some blue in it. It would lighten the space yet still add drama that dark cabinetry offers.
    ...See More

Need help for my kitchen

Q

Comments (3)
    Quote " .I need to think of what color to give my kitchen" Specifically, the color of what ? I'm assuming you mean the walls, but could you also mean color of cabinets, back splash, ceiling. Pics are always useful. BTW, our kitchen needs help too :))) But that's another story
    ...See More

colours for my kitchen

Q

Comments (8)
    Abhijith, You mean the floor and Kitchen slab in white tiles. I do not see any issue with that. you can add some highlighter tiles on the wall to add interest. Thanks Nitin Cornerstone Designs, Bangalore.
    ...See More
  • Steph
    4 years ago

Here is my kitchen partially done. Waiting on backsplash and wall paint.

• Steph
    4 years ago

Here is a better picture. I’m painting my top two cabinets a soft white to match trim and shutters.

• Steph
    4 years ago

Black counters, you could do any color. Why do say you have to go white with them? Just do a search for two toned or tuxedo kitchen, to figure out what you like. Is your cabinets solid wood?

• Kris Bruesehoff
    4 years ago

I’m not a pro...but I would keep the wood cabinets and black counter, take down the green on top of the cabinets, replace the pendant lights with something brighter, and think about changing the flooring.

• sheepla
    4 years ago

Agree with PCC...are you changing the floors?

• apple_pie_order
    4 years ago

To choose a color for the cabinets: change the lighting first. Then paint each color you already have in the house in a swatch the size of a bread loaf on a large foamcore board, as big as your cabinet doors. Find an extra floor tile. Then take the foamcore and tile to the paint store to pick out some samples to try on foamcare boards. Look for blues and greens if there's no gray or white you like.

• nosoccermom
    4 years ago

sage, light blue or even a darker blue. pics here:

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/2019-kitchen-trends-with-staying-power

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for all the advice! I forgot to mention, yes the flooring will be changed as well. I don’t want to change the counters unless it’s absolutely necessary. But I seriously HATE the cabinet colors. And the back splash. Yes the cabinets are real wood. I should have really stressed that I’m really stuck and seriously can’t bring myself to put “colors” all over. Greens, blues, really anything besides purple accents, I just can’t do it. I would describe my style as “wedding glam” and the greys, silvers, black, and white are what makes me happy. But all white cabinets.... I’ve always hated.. maybe with the right style though, I can learn to like it. I’m going to start with the suggestions of changing the flooring, lighting and removing the backsplash first then look into tuxedo cabinets. Thank you all again!! And I will post updates!

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For the comment about the rest of my house color scheme, these are it... don’t mind the mess (kids and dogs) and lack of all my stuff up.. I JUST deep cleaned the entire house and don’t have all of my stuff back up and in place. But you can see, Grey, Silver, White, Purple!

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

If they are real wood cabinets I wouldn't paint them. Re stain them instead. I would probably do light floors, dark cabinets and a light counter top that is white with touches of gray and a light back splash. I think the only issue with your cabinets now is that they aren't a rich, deep color, they are just kind of muddy brown.

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Re stain is what I mean... I guess. Lol. I’m no pro! Wouldn’t taking out the granite and putting in new ones, be really expensive??

• Steph
    4 years ago

Yeah, I don’t think It’s going to be at all easy to to restain already dark cabinets. You would have to completely strip or sand them to do that. I’ve never heard of Wedding Glam. I like wedding cake.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

What about something funky for your cabinets- Like a grey that’s almost lilac? You only live once.

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Haha! That’s how I describe it. I guess Posh Glam, Luxe, or Ornate Glam could work too. Just waiting for it to be an official “style”. Silver, sparkles, mirrored things, large floral arrangements and vases, candles... all that... to excess is my style :)

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So what do I do with this cabinet color... I hate it. With a passion. They can’t stay

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Katie, You are talking about 2 of my fave colors! I’ll look at some designs.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Just throwing this out there

• Steph
    4 years ago

Yes, now that we see the rest of the house, your kitchen doesn’t match your style. Why not try decorating your kitchen with existing decor of silver, white, and purple accents, before spending $$$. I really don’t think you need new counters, but that’s up to you. Grey or silver cabinets will clash with your floor. The only thing you need to do, to add your style to this kitchen is new floors and paint cabs white or grey, with lots of purple accents.

• Steph
    4 years ago

Lilac or grey cabs are going to clash with existing flooring

• everdebz
    4 years ago

?? Kristin Lam Interiors The cabinets are rift cut white oak. The stain is Minwax color called classic gray. I added a pop of orange and turquoise (not seen in the photos) for pillows on a bench as well as on the accessories.

Floor they say is like driftwood [and I thought might be near color of yours] -- nice shiny bracelet-like hardware.

Contemporary. clean, warm kitchen · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Take what might help from this contemporary kitchen they call it -
    The main body of this Bi-fold cupboard is finished in Farrow & Ball's Down Pipe Grey with a contrast on the back panel, on the inside, from the Brassica purple (also a Farrow & Ball colour)

New England Shaker Kitchen · More Info

New England Shaker Kitchen · More Info

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

I don’t think the floors are bad. You’ve managed to make the browns work with your love of grays and purple throughout the entire house. It’s lovely. You can do the same thing in the kitchen- maybe even just painting the island purple will make you happy. New lights. Maybe white for the other cabinets if you hate them that much. I’ve found that simple changes really feed the soul.

everdebz photo incorporates grays and browns, and purple too.

• everdebz
    4 years ago

If there were a place for blue accent - would this turquoise accent [like these window shades are] be good? They placed 3 shiny items too! mercury glass? do you like the plastic /chrome stools?

Harvey Jones Portfolio · More Info

• everdebz
    4 years ago

Idk if you have a place for wood counter to repeat and make better the tan floor [which I don't mind] -- then a red you like with the black counters --

Harvey Jones - Linear · More Info

• izeve
    4 years ago

What are your plans for the floor in the kitchen? It's really hard to advise on the cabinets, counters and everything else, without knowing what your floor will be like.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

Restain your cabinets to a lighter wood tone, choose something very light for your backsplash, change the flooring, and add more lighting to the space. I would also consider taking down some of the upper cabinets and adding open shelving to open up the space more and allow light to get to the counters.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

I would definitely start with changing the flooring and decide on the rest from there. Adding more lighting and a light-colored backsplash would be easy, fast, and inexpensive fixes to make this space brighter. Painting cabinets is very expensive and should be done by professionals, using high-quality paint. I would maybe do this last.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

I agree that the black counters would be what I would want to get rid of, they make the cabinets look really heavy and dark. Are the cabinets good quality, are they worth working with? I also really dislike the bowing out counter on the island, looks very dated to me and is an emphasis where it doesn’t need it, in my personal opinion. I think you might be able to grey out the tones in the kitchen a bit, maybe you would need to talk to a carpenter/cabinet maker.

• Steph
    4 years ago

Why replace perfectly good and versatile black counters? Keeping dark stained wood is the issue, not the counters. Paint is the cheapest and most dramatic thing you could do. Pick any color that doesn’t clash with your floor and your done.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

This is likely a dream kitchen to many, as is. Ripping out the floor, painting the (Beautiful) cabinets, replacing the granite will seem “why???” to many. I understand though, because I’m the same way with my house. I see this kitchen and think...Carrara marble Island, farm sink, custom hood, subway tile! That would be my want list. We are all so different. I still love the idea of a lilac island here...what a fun opportunity to do something different.

If you keep the busy floor, I’d choose a very basic backsplash. Not that you need a different backsplash.

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t want to replace my countertops at all. And I actually love the layout of the kitchen and don’t want to change anything structurally. With all of these comments I think I’m going to start by changing out the flooring. I’m looking at something light grey. And changing the light fixtures. And go from there. Some of y’all love the stain of the cabinets... I don’t. I just need a different color.. the mud brown is just awful. The pics you guys have posted have definitely given me some great ideas and I will use those for sure. I’m going to post the update of the new floors and lighting!! After that, I think i can convince all of you that redoing the cabinets is a must! 🤣🤣 Thanks again, you guys are amazing!!

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

And, just one more time... I’m not changing out the granite countertops! That’s a big project I’m not interested in right now.

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

If you all want to help me with ideas to refresh my kitchen (Somewhat similar to this one), I’d love more input.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5864479/my-kitchen-needs-a-refresh

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I know you've said you don't like the "mud brown" of the cabinets, but it's the same color as your hardwood floors, beautiful front door, and wood furniture in your living area. It's also in good shape and could coordinate with the rest of your style if you changed out the flooring to a marble look porcelain, and the countertops to a bright white. That would give you the gray/white/silver glam you like, and be much less expensive and less of a "project" than changing the cabinets. It would also significantly brighten the kitchen.

• Tara
    4 years ago

How about a silvery gray for the cabinets, while incorporating the wood tones in the flooring, like this...

Eskuri Residence The Cliffs Keowee Springs · More Info

• Tara
    4 years ago

It may be a bit too colorful on the island for you, but what about this.....

Modern Farmhouse-Upstate · More Info

• Tara
    4 years ago

or creamy-ier cabinets....

Perch Lake Farmhouse · More Info

• Katie B.
    4 years ago

Saw this photo and thought of you

• PRO
    Carol Jean
    4 years ago

the only thing wrong with kitchen is floor and greenery if floor was light and you put in fancy chandelier lights you could glam it up just keep it light beautiful living room

• Jennifer Hogan
    4 years ago

christinae15,

I do agree that the cabinets are mud colored and fully understand why you don't like them. I would have to stain or paint.

Much of the cost with this type of work is labor and can be saved if you have the time and ability to DIY. I am looking at gel staining, refacing or painting cabinets in my home. It will take me time to do it, but I enjoy this type of work, I am pretty handy and I have a couple of friends that have done construction work for a living and will help me out.

Counter and floor will require purchase of new materials and that can't be avoided. I would probably make the same choice as you - keep the counters, replace the floors and do something with the cabinets.

If you are keeping the counter top dark you will most likely have to paint the cabinets. I think staining will leave you with richer, but darker cabinets and that will be too dark with the counter tops.

They do have some gel stains (Old Master seems to be a favored brand) that can be used to lighten cabinets or give it the gray, weathered look. I'm still trying to figure out if a gel stain wears any better than a good paint job.

Remember the most important thing is that when you are done your heart sings when you walk into the room. It really doesn't matter who else loves your home.

• Rebekah Gibbs
    4 years ago

What about a grayish brown stained cabinet and a glam backsplash that brings in purple and ties in the black?

• christinae15
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Very pretty!! I like that a lot

• everdebz
    4 years ago

There are pretty items with blue and lavender and violet etc.... together.

"Cerulean waters" Canvas Art, 48"x32" · More Info

Nature Cement Blue 12"x11.625" Glass Triangle Mosaic Tile · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/12x11-625-cement-blue-jeans-glass-wall-tile-set-of-10-prvw-vr~105468895

Sponsored