pawan_j

Help with Living room layout

Pawan J
4 years ago

The new rental I have moved into has this large 14 by 24 living room with awkward openings in the middle. The furniture you see in the pics are mine and needs to be incorporated. I plan to buy a sofa (the 7 feet long apollo from urban ladder), a rug or two and some chairs. But not sure how to arrange them. Any advice on how to create a inviting space will be much appreciated. The TV spot is fixed as that is the only place with the cable point.

Comments (17)

• Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was thinking of moving the dining table to the long wall with the glass partition and create the living space where the table is now. But the 5 feet opening means I wont have a sofa and chairs facing each other layout. I have to do the L shaped thing that I dont like.

Thanks.

P.S Any ideas other than layout to do the space in a simple clean yet cosy and inviting way will be very welcome. Only thing to keep in mind is this is a rental.

• PRO
    Rashi Agarwal Designs
    4 years ago

hi , that open area between the two walls is there a kitchen behind that?

Pawan J thanked Rashi Agarwal Designs
  • Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @Rashi Agarwal

Yes that space is the passage/entryway to the main door, You can see the main door on the right of the passage in the sixth pic from top. On the left of the passage is the kitchen. The room behind the glass section. You can see the bottles in the kitchen from the living room through that glass section.

SIze of all furniture.

1. Dining table (with blue table cover) 4 feet by 2 feet

2. Tall white cabinet 28 inches by 15 inches

3. Tall wooden teak writing desk - 3 feet by 17 inches

4. white book case on which the TV stands - 5 feet by 15 inches

Thanks..Pawan

• Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi kind people on this board

Any advice you would like to give me?

• PRO
    Rashi Agarwal Designs
    4 years ago

Hi Pawan,

Please check out the two proposed layouts for your living & dining room.

Hope this will suffice.

Best wishes

Rashi Agarwal

• Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rashi. Very kind of you. The second one looks good. The only challenge is the dining tabl is a long way from the kitchen. But makes sense. I will go for this. Thanks again.

• Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Rashi... In Option 2 wouldnt watching TV be a challenge?

• PRO
    Rashi Agarwal Designs
    4 years ago

yes the people in the dining area would only be able to watch the TV more easily. why don't you love the cable connection also to the new proposed living area?

• PRO
    Rashi Agarwal Designs
    4 years ago

there is also another option.. will send you the layout tomorrow.

• Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a rental and I cant change cabling.

• PRO
    Liveup Homes
    4 years ago

Hey, we have a solution to your question.

We have kept in mind the furniture that you mentioned and is visible in the pictures posted.

1. We suggest a L shaped sofa (that you plan to buy from Urban Ladder) to be placed right in front of the entrance. You can use your wooden chairs along with it next to a coffee table in the middle.

2. You can keep your writing desk next to entrance as it is almost the same width.

3. We suggest you keep dining table in the centre of the room, as it will closer to kitchen in that place.

4. We suggest that you create a half partition using your own furniture in the other end of the room.
    You can place your white book shelf (books facing the wall) in the middle and tall white cabinet in front of it making a T shape as shown in the picture.

5. You should mount TV on wall to save space and beside the book shelf have a backless sitting for TV

6. Behind the book shelf you can have a floor sitting for your Tabla practice and book reading.

7. We recommend you put some indoor plants next to your L shaped sofa and a small floor candle stand or showpiece in front of kitchen wall.

Connect @ Liveup Homes

contact number : 098108 14484

Hope this will help

Thanks

Pawan J thanked Liveup Homes
  • Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Liveup Homes. BY backless sitting you mean a stool(s) right? I may have gotten this wrong but YOu sure that works for TV watching?

• PRO
    Liveup Homes
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Pawan,

it will be the backless sofa kind of arrangement let me share you some pictures on that

all these above pictures are for the backless sofa arrangements but if you are looking for the sofa with back so try to select the height of the sofa in the level of the height of book shelf

for illustration please check this design of sofa :-

The Height need not be shorter but it can be higher than that of the height of book shelf

I feel this may help you with your makeover.

do let us know if you need any assistance with regards to the choice of decoration etc

Thanks

Pawan J thanked Liveup Homes
  • Pawan J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Liveup Homes. That helps.

• avinash singh
    4 years ago

i want some interior makeover ideas for my house.

• PRO
    Liveup Homes
    4 years ago

Hi Avinash,

Could you please share some more pictures of your house

so that it can help in getting more ideas in interior design perspectives