phxrat

Stairs with storage

phxrat
5 years ago

Hello all,

I would like to update an early 80's open staircase as shown in the photo below.

The stair stringers and support pieces are rough timber that has been painted.

A neighbor with the same floorplan updated his staircase by covering the timber members with smooth-texture drywall and building in a storage closet, as shown in the picture below:

The area where the storage area opens to is a dining area, and the area behind the stairs is the living room. From a marketability perspective (I'm planning to sell this house), should I put in that storage area, or leave it open?

Comments (31)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I would focus efforts and money on updating the space as a whole. I don't think enclosing the stairs is a determent or benefit with the rest of the space looking so drab. I don't mind the enclosed stairs/storage of your neighbors but again, his space is completely updated.

• Related Discussions

storage under the stairs....Thoughts on it??

Q

Comments (10)
    I had storage under my stairs in our previous home and am having it done again. I loved it. I put seasonal things such as candles, wreaths etc., that I could not put in the attic in there. I had considered making shelves/built-ins in the hallway under the stairs but I decided I would rather just have storage. It is also a great place to store the vacuum cleaner. Mine is open all the way under the stairs, the framer was going to wall it off and make it like a coat closet but I felt like that was wasting space. IMO it's great.
    ...See More

Need help with space under the stairs

Q

Comments (5)
    is it a curved staircase? What is the highest point of the staircase? maybe you can do something like this image:
    ...See More

Wall Unit Design

Q

Comments (7)
    The built-in wood design of the adjacent cabinet is clean and modern. So as not to waste the under stair space and not interrupt the clean spare look, I would put in a blind door that matched the zig zag of the stair, with barely visible hinge hardware on the left side (probably will need at least two and maybe three hinged doors), then matching the exact stain and wood, create a blank slate look, flush with the cabinet and wall trim. And, there, hang a piece of artwork, or wall sculpture. Keep in mind, when you do this, the white of the zig zag stair will pop, but I don't think that's a bad thing.
    ...See More

Need help for utilizing space under staircase

Q

Comments (3)
    it appears you need storage. I would get with a storage professional on how to best utilize the space based on your needs.
    ...See More
  • lynnstrider
    5 years ago

I'm very practical, and I would prefer the storage space rather than the wasted space in the current open plan, if I were considering buying your house.

• chloebud
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Given the two choices I would also go with the storage space. As Glo European said, that entire space is updated.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

Sorry but how would we know if the space is drab we see only one little area where the stairs are and if you were buying you can always add the storage if that is your choice.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Sorry, "drab" meaning cheap window coverings, outdated light fixtures, floor tile (in my opinion), wall color, mirror wall in adjacent room and overall aesthetic of the stairs.

• wysmama
    5 years ago
    I would prefer the open staircase. Surely there are closets elsewhere. Not much storage to be had under the steps anyway
  • phxrat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

BTW, I am definitely updating the entire space... flooring, windows, lighting, filling in sunken living room, etc. I just wondered about the appeal of the storage under the stairs. Thanks so much for all the comments!

• User
    5 years ago

Way to update/remuddle a house! /s

You’re not making a Millennial McMansion out of an Post Modern Contemporary. Nor should you try. It’s a great livable style house. Very much in demand. Don’t devalue it by thoughtless inappropriate changes. The house is great. Compliment it. Don’t destroy it.

• Kate E
    5 years ago

Personally - as a late 30's working mom in the Midwest (to give you a demographic for marketing purposes!) I'd rather have storage. If I saw the updated house with the empty space below - unless it's tall enough to walk through (which does not appear to be the case from the photo) I would see it was wasted space. BUT - if you could make a walk-in pantry - or a cleaning closet/storage spot - that's great. Thinking practically - what kind of closet space is needed? Could that be a place to store vacuum/mop, paper towels, TP, etc? All that stuff that either goes in a pantry, coat closet, mudroom or garage? If the home already has a spot for all of that stuff, then maybe leave it open? But for a real-life, day-to-day perspective, extra storage space would be my preference, as a buyer!

phxrat thanked Kate E
  • tatts
    5 years ago

Nope. It looks like a handyman solution, not a properly designed one.

The wall of the storage box meets the exterior wall too close to the window frame. No one would design a corner like that.

And, what is the storage for? Is it necessary? Is there no cellar or attic? No closets?

Amateur solution.

phxrat thanked tatts
  • phxrat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

tatts - you are right. I never noticed how close that window is to the corner of that closet wall. Thanks for pointing that out. This house is in Scottsdale, and it has a flat roof, so no attic or cellar. There is a coat closet and 3 bedroom closets, and past tenants have never complained about lack of storage. I think Patricia Colwell Consulting is right... it could easily be added by a future owner.

• zealart
    5 years ago

Prefer the look and function of the closed staircase. The opened one just looks unfinished to me, and it's such an odd space. Can't walk under it, putting furniture under it would also look odd.

• aak4
    5 years ago

I agree with zealart, I prefer the look and the functionality of the enclosed space. If the new owners want it open, they can just take down the closet.

• PRO
    Mint Design Studio
    5 years ago
    I would simply update the space and update the stairs. An impressive staircase will sell better than a tiny closet that most won’t really even notice. The window is also awkwardly close to the closet in the photo below. When you stage it put some large plants over there to make it feel spacious.
    phxrat thanked Mint Design Studio
  • Oliviag
    5 years ago
    The staircase as it is looks much more modern than your neighbors'.
    Their squatty closet is an eyesore, imo.
  • PRO
    Norwood Architects
    5 years ago

Not sure about the understair closet. Can see how it would be useful but question how it would look. In my opinion the stair could use some updating though - maybe replace the railing with something more contemporary. Agree with one of the other posters - the rest of the space could use some updating including replacing the dated tile. Whatever you decide please post photos after the renovation. Good luck!

phxrat thanked Norwood Architects
  • Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    5 years ago

Hi Phxrat,

Can you please post a few more pics? From the other side of the stairs?

The newel posts just seem so prominent in this pic, it is an eyesore.

From looking at this one pic, at this point, I'd agree with Glo.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I don't particularly like the "open" staircase. I'd rather have the storage space ... but I'd want the whole stair "enclosed"; that is, the part under the lower stair as well. It would make the whole thing look more like a planned item /less like a stair with a box under it.

However, given that you're planning to sell it, I don't think I'd do anything. You might print up a take-away page for people who come to view the house and show them what a neighbor has done ... but that buyer might /might not like this idea. Let them see what's possible, but don't spend your money to make it happen.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

Since you are updating the other finishes, I think that if you don't do something to improve the look of the rough lumber, it will look out of place in your newly remodeled space. Personally I think that the stilts look ridiculous hanging out there in midair so I would definitely enclose them. It would be a great place to toss the toys for a quick pick up or for Christmas storage.

• phxrat
    Original Author
    5 years ago

here's what may be a better looking closet solution... walling in the entire area, and putting risers in the stairway. I would put drywall over the timbers as well.

• girl_wonder
    5 years ago

When are you planning to sell? Have you found a realtor to work with? If it were me, I'd talk to them to find out what they think makes sense from resale value. A lot of times it's the basics, fresh coat of paint, boost curb appeal, etc. The next owners may have other priorities and may rather spend the money on something else, than that storage.

• wilson853
    5 years ago

I like your idea of enclosing the stairs. https://inspectapedia.com/Stairs/Stair_Codes_Rules.php#RiserOpen

• Oliviag
    5 years ago
    you are selling. don't try to read an unknown person's mind. download these photos, especially phrxrats.
    you won't get it right for the next person's vision, anyway.
  • wilson853
    5 years ago

Unless the next person has an '80's perm and shoulder pads, I don't think that they would be opposed to an updated staircase.

phxrat thanked wilson853
  • jpp221
    5 years ago
    Here’s the giveaway: it looks like an obvious after-thought, shoehorned in. Yes, it provides storage, but so would a box hanging from the middle of the living room ceiling, and we aren’t running off to do that ever. If the stair is going to be enclosed, it must be filly done so—that means risers and filling in all of the space below the lowest flight (ie the triangle bit and even the small patch of open handrail above the dining area). Mind you, I’m not recommending that (it would be expensive and still not look as good as the open stair), but it would be a step up from parking a Volkswagen under the stair, which is what your neighbour has done.
    phxrat thanked jpp221
  • aak4
    5 years ago

phxrat, what a clever solution you came up with. I like it very much.

• PRO
    Furniture Re-born
    5 years ago

that just looks odd; like you stuck a box under stairs.

• Snaggy
    5 years ago

I would like the extra storage ..the first staircase just has wasted space ..

• PRO
    Pearl Remodeling
    5 years ago

I think you did well, where I live I always rather be more practical than artistic although in your case I actually think it looks way better with the storage! If this was an ultra modern, high ceiling, huge open space type of house I'd agree with some of the comments above but I would totally do the same - Good Job

• Michelle
    5 years ago

If it was me most folks have dogs I would make a built dog crate be the perfect space and design right it would blend in