vjs12

mirror and light help!

vjs12
5 years ago
The overhead bathroom vanity light is 23 inches one above each sink. The mirror will have a 3" frame around it. There is only 3.5 inches of wall space on each end of the vanity. So my dilemma is will it look right if 2 inches of the wood frame mirror are under the globe light? Or should I put a 1.5 beveled edge mirror with no frame?

Comments (19)

• vjs12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you. It would be 1 large mirror not 2.
  • PRO
    Peyton Bainbridge Interiors
    5 years ago

one mirror. no frame. remove those wall sconce lights, add recess.

vjs12 thanked Peyton Bainbridge Interiors
  • PRO
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

of course, you're going to have to go down to two light switches on the plate, or move one somewhere else. but it will be worth it. do recess lighting, you cannot fit lighting in there its too small of a space. you could always do the one three sconce overhang light but i have never found those attractive. be sure to have the mirror go to almost the ceiling.

• vjs12
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you Peyton. I have 1 recess light that is on the ceiling behind the middle section of the vanity. Will that be enough light? The vanity is 66" wide so I thought the lights above would work just not a framed mirror. The frameless mirror will start 1" in from the each end of vanity. It will be close to the light switch.
  • PRO
    5 years ago

nope! two. had the same dilemma in a home i literally finished today. it had an awful three arm sconce above a mirror, we changed it to a regular mirror (it was one sink) but installed two recess above it. i would put two in front of the mirror, and one in the center toward the shower (or whatever, i can't see it, but center of the room).

the recess light i see in that photo, you'll need to move back toward the shower to be in the center of the room. the two recess lights will hit just behind the air vent maybe 3-4"

• PRO
    5 years ago

i might not be seeing the photo accurately, but are you SURE you can clear the light switch plate? go right at the backsplash the end of it go straight up and if you can clear the light switch plate then good, and i might be seeing wrong. the outlet switch plate can be cleared, but i don't think the light switch....

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

vjs12,,,,are you keeping those lights, or hopefully, getting some new ones? 6 lights in that small space over the sinks is too much.

is this the look you were after? if so, I'd do some other lights. simpler. maybe 2 lights each.

be better to do something like this one. 1-4 light in the middle.

or,

they make this type in a double light. the style would go better w/your vanity/countertop

vjs12 thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I would do two LED lighted mirrors and delete the 3 light fixtures. Brb
    vjs12 thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

here Flo

i like these too

one middle light

or, I like this set up w/the pendants and the rectangle mirrors.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Here are some options.
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Thx Beth. That would be so much more functional and better looking too.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

yes, and those led mirrors are so much more flattering.

Since they have the recessed lighting, doing those current overhead lights, with 6 bulbs, will be too much! I guess they could do 40W bulbs. I just think the style doesn't work w/the new vanity.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    I have also done a TV behind mirror too! But that requires pre-planning. That one picture Beth so kindly posted reminded me of that project. It looks like TV behind mirror but could be reflection of TV. ;)
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

oh yes,,they have the little screens built in. I wonder if that could just work off of wifi or something?

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 years ago
    Yes it can be wifi. But you need space behind specialty mirror. Pricey adventure.
  • btydrvn
    5 years ago
    2 Oval mirrors may fit and look better with the light fixtures and cabinet you have...the mirror should not impose on the lighting or switches...also 2mirrors may be more in scale with what you have as well...
    vjs12 thanked btydrvn
  • PRO
    EPHROSS DESIGNS
    5 years ago

You may want to to change the fixtures to 2 light instead of 3 light fixtures, and I would try to find the most narrow double light fixtures I could to leave room for the mirror frame. Please measure to know if there will be some space between the light fixtures and the mirror frame. Another fix, easier and probably more attractive would be to have a longer light fixture in the center of the mirror and a recessed can spot over each sink. The other and easier solution, is to have the mirror go up to the ceiling, use a 2.5 in frame, three inches is a bit too heavy for the size of the vanilty. Then have three or four 4 inch recessed lights placed over the sinks and in the center of the vanity. The other possibility is to use two large LED lighted mirrors as others have shown in their comments. These give great light for makeup and shaving as they eliminate shadows created by placing lights above the mirrors with no illumination from the sides. Please do not have the frame go under the light fixture you will never be happy with the way it looks.

Also, The light switches to the right will need to be reset. Your electrician may be able to attach the outlet box on its side so your switches are vertical instead of horizontal and he may need to move the outlet over as it looks like it would be on the mirror edge. I would have it moved to the mirror area and have the mirror cut with a space for the outlet. Mirrored outlet plates are widely available.

It is a bit odd to have it placed where it is, as there is no counter-top beneath it for placing any appliance you would be using with the outlet, it will be a bit inconvenient to use where it is now.

Best of luck with your bathroom renovation, and don't fret too much, every design job has it's surprises. :)

vjs12 thanked EPHROSS DESIGNS
  • vjs12
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ephross, the outlet was originally a switch for the whirlpool tub we removed so we turned it into an outlet. That is why is may seem a bit odd to be in that location. Thank you for your suggestions.

The bathroom is almost complete except for the mirror and glass for the cabinet. I really don't want to start removing and adding outlets at this point. (I thought we planned out the lights and outlets well before the demo and installation was started so I was surprised to have an issue with the mirror and outlets.) This remodel has been a learning experience for me. I think I will have a beveled mirror made to fit the space as it is. Will also look for a size 18" light fixtures. That might give me more room for a framed mirror to match the vanity.

Thank you all for your design suggestions.