veena_gohrani

sofa placement dilemma

Veena Gohrani
3 December 2018

hey people,
I am really confused about the placement of sofa (it's a sofa cum bed and hence has a base at the back)
I want to place it against one of the walls so that the wall can be an accent wall. my husband thinks placing it in the middle of the room opportunity TV would be better. any ideas?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India

Veena,

Without a floor plan it would be difficult to imagine your dilemma. Please share the floor with a brief marking on it about your doubt. May be a pic of the sofa backside will also help.

Thanks

Nitin

• PRO
    GJ Studio

A Red sofa can look quite dramatic against an ochre wall. I hope you are not retaining the TV unit though!

• PRO
    Atom Interiors . Smart Interiors.

Hi Veena,

The red sofa against the orange wall is a good idea. However, ideal placement will depend on where the fan is, I think, particularly if the weather is hot in your location. That's a factor to look at. It look like the fan is quite far away from the orange wall.

atom INTERIORS, Bangalore

• Veena Gohrani
    @GJ studio - I am, unfortunately :( it's inbuilt
    should I go for any other sofa instead?
  • Veena Gohrani
    @Atom - there are two fans. however, if the sofa goes to the orange wall, the seating space looks very haywire.
  • PRO
    Atom Interiors . Smart Interiors.

Hi Veena,

Why would you say the space may look haywire if sofa moved to wall?

If it doesn't feel hot while sitting on the sofa, as its moved to the orange wall, then its ok.

Let me also add, that if you are retaining that entertainment unit, there is quite a mismatch as GJ pointed out. Can't you install a new entertainment system? For example, we do renovations too, so there should be someone who can do it for you in your location. Not to sound salesy, but bou can reach out to us if you are in Bangalore. Its better if you can spend your money on the entertainment unit rather than the sofa, because atleast it matches the wall.

atom INTERIORS, Bangalore

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India

Apologies Pro, for speaking on her behalf but I guess she is referring to the alignment of the sofa and TV unit and the viewing angle. If the sofa is placed on the orange wall it has to be done after leaving the door space where as TV is place very near to the wall. Secondly, it will be too much of a viewing distance.

Veena, if this is what you meant by 'haywire; it will be better if you share the floor plan with rough dimensions of the sofa and TV unit.

Thanks,

Nitin

Cornerstone Designs, Bangalore.

• Vidya Rajeev
    Hi we have d same sofa cum bed in our living room. we place in in the middle of the room facing the tv unit. placing in the middle helps to covert it to bed easily. before it was near to the wall nd averytime we have to pull it to the middle nd covert. and dis affects the life of the sofa. so tought to place it in the centre. and now its fine
  • Veena Gohrani
    hi Vidya. thanks for your experience. but didn't you face the same problem as me? that as soon as you enter the room, you see the back portion which is not so pretty ;)
    I have decided to get the sofa exchanged for a 5 seater. hope that solves my problem
  • Veena Gohrani
    @nitin - yes, that's what I mean by haywire.
    if I place the sofa to the orange wall, it's a lot of distance. also, the seating space does not aligned.
    I will share the floor plan to help you guys understand better
  • PRO
    Zeal Arch Designs

Put opposite to TV wall, parallel to TV and after door, without support of any wall.

• Vidya Rajeev
    Hi veena.. actually we didnt. we placed the tv on the right wall from the entrance. so when we enter we see only the wall which is highlighted with a wall sticker. sofa is on the left side nd tv on the right wall.
  • Veena Gohrani

hey. thanks guys for all your help. appreciate it.
    I have got it exchanged (although I loved it so much) for a 5 seater

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    Veena, you may go for stencil art on your main wall.
  • Veena Gohrani
    you mean the orange one?
  • PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    Yes, imho it's too bland right now..