webuser_11603812557

Membrane - durability

Manisha
5 years ago
Is membrane finish on mdf durable for kitchen and wardrobes?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Studio Chippan
    5 years ago

mdf itself isnt durable

• sam ser
    5 years ago

Not sure why everyone in India hates MDF. @Studio Chippan are you making that statement based on past experience. MDF is a durable material, perhaps not as strong as natural wood or ply. But to dismiss it outright is not right IMHO. I've had a particle board cupboard for more than 8 yrs and its still fine, MDF is much better than particle board. Stick to boards from a good brand and it should be fine.

• PRO
    Studio Chippan
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@ sam ser. I have been designing and making kitchens both budget and high end for over a decade and I can tell you with confidence that mdf does not suit indian weather and cooking habits. If you can source water proof mdf or prelaminated you can alleviate the pitfalls to a small degree. These are not easy to source in india yet. Here are some of the major pitfalls: (more available online if you perform a simple google search)

• mdf will off-gas small amounts of formaldehyde (causes cancer). MDF which has been painted reduces health risk but doesnot eliminate completely
    • MDF tends to be high maintenance - if you chip it or crack it, you cannot repair or cover the damage easily as you typically can with solid wood.
    • The chemicals used in making MDF make the material less child-friendly than other materials.
    • Direct exposure to water will cause MDF to swell, guaranteed.