heltr

Ranch curb appeal - shutters or not?

heltr
6 years ago

We are in the middle of renovating a ranch. I have been reading here long enough to know that shutters should be sized appropriately for the window, and most often the recommendation is to remove them.

As you can see in the picture, shutters are clearly only sized correctly for one window. If we remove them though, what are our options for interest? My husband says it will look like a double wide without them, and that all the houses in the neighborhood have shutters.

Would love some creative suggestions of what to do with the exterior.

Comments (8)

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

This one look nice. Maybe some ideas for you?

Exterior · More Info

• heltr
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Suzyq53. For a raised ranch, which is my least favorite house style, that is quite attractive. I like the entryway, but are not up for adding one to this house. It had just had a brand new roof when we bought it, so not keen to mess with the roof. We are looking to update the awning which is likely 60s original to something more modern

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

Your home is very nice and has a pretty setting. I would remove all of the shutters. I would then paint the stormdoor and door in the pretty blue color of your shutters. If the budget allows I would replace the stormdoor with a full glass version.

Next add some nice foundation plantings....variety of plants in varying heights/colors. Create a curving bed.

I cannot tell what your railings are made of. If they are wood paint them white. If they are metal I would change them to wood.

A new lamppost and porch lights would further enhance your home.

• suzyq53
    6 years ago

In Phoenix, where I grew up, all the ranch houses were single story, no basement. Long and not wide. We called the ones with long halls "ramblers". If the one I posted is a "raised ranch", what is yours called?

• PRO
    Happnie Homes Painting and Home Improvements
    6 years ago

Eliminate the awning but keep the shutters. Awnings appear to be more popular in some areas than others. To me, it's preference. I'm just not crazy about them. I prefer the extra light.

• heltr
    Original Author
    6 years ago

suzyq53 -- here in CT "raised ranches" have a front door that opens to 4 steps up to the main living area, and 4 steps down to a finished basement level. Houses that have all the living on one level, and the front door opens into that level are simply "ranches"

grapefruit1_ar -- I like the idea of changing the storm door to one with full glass. I wanted to remove the current one as it was blocking seeing the front door, but adding a storm door that allows you to see it is a good idea. The railings are metal and are in poor condition so replacing them is planned. Was thinking of white composite to lower maintenance rather than wood which rots quickly here with the harsh winters. Lights and lampost replacements are already selected, just need to get them and put them up. You don't think it will look super plain without shutters?

Happnie Homes -- I don't particularly love awnings but it does keep the door free of snow and icicles in the winter, and rain the rest of the year. Don't know if I will be able to convince the team to completely remove them

• rnonwheels
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Take shutters off! New awnings over both the garage and the entry would be amazing.