lindabogan

Houseplant

Linda M.
10 years ago
What is the name of this beautiful houseplant?
Lafayette House · More Info

Comments (12)

• poonamsood
    10 years ago
    what kind of backsplash has been used here? what type of rim has been put on top of the backsplash? Also, what type of faucets have been used?
  • PRO
    creative jewish mom.com
    10 years ago
    Looks to me like an elephant's ear philodendron? Marlie, how can I get in touch with you, I have a question for you.....
  • PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago
    Yeah, philodendron is a good guess, one of several possible species, or even a philodendron-allocasia cross. Am trying to clarify my contact info.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thai Giant. Colocasia Gigantia. It is smaller sized due to pot and probably not fertilized enough. I am wintering one that looks not dissimilar, I need desperately to up pot it, feed it heavily, and carve the daughter off it. It also bloomed and fruited last fall, and the crop of brats from it are at leaves the size of my hand and over a foot tall and needing uppotting from 6" pots desperately. If fed enough and right climate they can stand 7'-10' tall and have leaves over 4' wide and 6' long. They have a large 'corm' or bulb that they store starch in and can be started from seed (still in berry, if they're dry they're dead), from shoots off the corm, or from a corm. You can hibernate them for the winter or keep them year around.

Picture is not me or mine, but showing how big one can get. The one I have in 14" pot stands about 7' tall and has 2' long leaves and throws one that is sort of sideways like one of the ones in that picture on occasion. I need to put mine into an 18" pot and start fertilizing it often with mild fertilizer....
  • PRO
    creative jewish mom.com
    10 years ago
    Thanks so much, would love to grow something like this as I just love those large leaves.
    Can it be a houseplant? Saw a great cement bird bath project where you use the leaf as a mold. Don't know if you'd want to cut off a leaf of your precious plant, but if one has many maybe!
  • PRO
    The Ficus Wrangler
    10 years ago
    HaHa. What kind of bird would you be planning to host in that...a bald eagle? But thanks for the info. I wonder if they would grow outside in Florida?
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    There are two close related strains, Colocasia Gigantea, Giant Elephant's Ear, and a substrain 'Thai Giant'. Thai gets a little bigger than the other. Both get big.

They keep several leaves up at once usually, the leaves age and will yellow and drop. You can tell when a leaf is past prime but not going south yet and could cut it to do your casting print, Sara.

It can be a houseplant. I suggest a plastic pot instead of a ceramic because of weight, and put a caster thing under it so you can move it, 14-18" pot... the bigger the pot the happier the plant. They like bright indirect light inside so say in your living room just out of the arc of the window sunshine. I have had my big one outdoors where it was under 60% shadecloth and it thrived in our brutally sunny/UV area (I am at altitude).

It is considered zone 8a and warmer, some say 7b and mulch a lot.... they are not frost loving, lows in the upper 40's or warmer. You can make them go dormant, dig the corms and store them like you would dahlias for spring; or do the heavy mulch in place. In Florida I think they would grow year around; just not direct sun and keep them sheltered from much wind. If you dip near freezing you might lose the standing leaves and stalks but they would come back from the corm.

Durable pot, found it at Home Depot online, $38 for 20" and comes in some nice colors. Sturdy enough and lightweight...

They are heavy eaters, so outdoors if you use lots of finished compost to amend where they're going, remember neutral to SLIGHTLY acidic soil, good drainage; somewhat sheltered from wind, and say with a tree to help shade it; they should be magnificent outside. In pot mine is doing about 2' leaves; pictures of 5' wide by 6.5' long leaves are from ones planted in finished out compost and kept happy. They will make side shoots from the corm, when those have leaves the size of your hand and are 1.5-2' high, you can dig and separate them from the mama corm. They will also do flowers and make berries. You can start the berries, in 6 months my bratlings are 1-1.5' high and have leaves the size of my hand. They are very delicate as just started, if you want I'll post how.

Third picture is my hand with one of the leaves on my wintering over, it will be a year old shortly, it was a corm start. From bend of wrist (back of hand) to fingers end my hand is 7" long. That picture was taken less than two weeks ago. Roll over to see the whole leaf... I am holding the leaf with the stalk join under my hand, if you look at the veining you will see where that is.
  • PRO
    Nan Walz Interiors
    10 years ago
    Thank you for the great description!
  • User
    10 years ago
    You're welcome. Some pictures from last weekend; of my thai giant babies, the mama plant is the one I'm holding a leaf of above... I had 17 seeds pipped from 15 berries and planted in September, 13 of 17 sprouted but they are very fragile and I lost several before they got to their fourth leaf and over 2" tall. I currently still have 8 'brats' and they are greatly different in size... though having been treated similarly in light, water, food....

One, was very small when uppotted and was put into a 3" square pot; it has many many leaves compared to siblings. It is in bad need of an uppotting.
    Two, in 6" round pot, my hand is flat on the leaf. This plant is about 18" above the pot. This one needs uppotting to an 8 or 10".
    Three, smallest of the eight, in 6" pot.
    Four, I have a leaf of that smallest one, my hand is just behind it.

This shows you the difference in the same batch of seedlings. My hand from tip of expressive finger to the bend at the wrist, along the back, is 7" long for reference.

I consider these tropical, moisture loving but well drained, no direct sun, moderate care, and will grow to substantial houseplant (needs at least a 14" pot and will stand over 5' tall) within a year. The one in the starter picture, is probably 4 months from hitting 7' tall and almost at needing a repot at the time that that picture was staged.
  • PRO
    creative jewish mom.com
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the great info, now have to do some research to get one!
  • User
    10 years ago
    You are welcome, Sara.

All Taro (Colocasia and Alocasia) are fair weather plants; If they get too cold or freeze in transit they will probably fail once you get them. Wait until weather warms up enough between where you are and wherever you order one from; that it won't have a chance of getting too cold en-route or from being left in your mailbox. Even if you order a corm (bulb) instead of a green and growing plant, if the corm gets frozen it won't grow.