lauradkim

My son's room

lauradkim
10 years ago
I want to decorate my son's room. He is 12 years old and wants to decorate to urban/city style. Please help me.

Comments (74)

• Kevin Retired Decorator
    10 years ago
    What ever you do someday your son will know what a great Mom you are for wanting the best for him ! Happy Mothers Day !!!
  • Ruth Felice
    10 years ago
    A really fantastic way to bring out your son’s creativity and enjoy a collaborative DYI project together, is simply painting on wall with Chalkboard paint. This will also allow you to paint just one wall as opposed to all four walls. You could team this with wall deco stickers on the unpainted walls and some bright bedroom accessories (lamps, sheet set, light fittings etc).
    Adding the chalkboard wall will allow your son to ‘update’ his room whenever he gets board, create fun with friends and will double as a useful homework ‘to-do list’ when the serious school years approach. I hope this helps!

Modern Family Room by Redondo Beach Design-build ras-a, inc.
    Contemporary Kids by San Francisco Architect Cary Bernstein Architect
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    10 years ago
    @ Genevieve that's a nice look for furniture and will get him thru college and beyond
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    @ Kevin Retired decorator , my thoughts exactly :)
  • PRO
    8237 Design
    10 years ago
    Make sure your son is involved from A-Z, and honor his choices. It will give you both a bonding experience you'll never forget and . . . who knows? You might just give him wings to develop his love of architecture or interiors.
  • PRO
    Farha Syed Design, LLC
    10 years ago
    Here are some ideas I used in my sons room. He is 11. He likes the contemporary look. He wanted a Back and White room, with some accent colors with his Duke Poster and some red that I brought into the headboard. This end of the room is finished so I posted the pics. The other end of the room will have a chair and a charging station for his ipod and other games with a chair that I will be taking a picture of as soon as they are finished and posting to my project. Its a work in progress. I hope this helps.
  • oregongal
    10 years ago
    When our younger child was 12 we put up strippable white wallpaper liner (with some posted language limits) for child and all the friends to decorate. I like the idea of chalkboard paint - possibly over the liner? This could make it easy to change out later w/o 4 coats of paint over black.
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    you shouldn't have trouble now with your Project with so many ideas!
    I really liek pcmom1, kevin retired decorator & keitha's comment above! i like furniture by Genevieve..
    specially the idea of black chalkboard paint wall!
    from paslaster's link above, loooove this one, the bed is so practical & nice, headboard, lights all are cool..: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2013/03/14/greathomesanddestinations/20130314_LOCATION.html?_r=0#13

Good Luck! do post after-pics please!
  • PRO
    Acco Kitchen and Bath
    10 years ago
    I love the idea to collaborate with your son - let him pick some things he likes (use Houzz together!) and create a plan of attack: work around a bedspread, feature wall decor, or favourite rug....paint is easy to change, so focus on furniture and feeling of the rest of the pieces, and choose the exact paint colour last. I agree too that a desk is very important to help kids feel they have a work space.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    10 years ago
    Stick with black, white, grays with a hit of an accent colour - I love to use wall tattoos for a punch of colour - shown here over the desk. Good luck with your project!
  • PRO
    Murals Your Way
    10 years ago
    At Murals Your Way, we have a whole category for Cities and Cityscapes. Some are photographic, some are bold, abstract graphics. Also, our SmartStick® material is removable. Check it out! http://www.muralsyourway.com/cities-cityscapes-murals/
  • houssaon
    10 years ago
    Love the murals, especially the cars with the Andy Warhol vibe!
  • aflanders
    10 years ago
    Its great idea just go online look up Brookline, New York and I'm you will find ideas
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Love those murals: bigger is better!
  • smdrovetto
    10 years ago
    Hello!

There are so many good suggestions! Since age 12 is often the beginning of a challenging few years, (middle school) with so many changes (growth spurts, girls, school dances, ), I would think about the foundations of the room, and planning ahead for high school, which will be here before you know it. He will be requiring more independence and privacy, so it's great you're doing this now.

If you are thinking of furniture, the bed itself is important. If you buy a bed, make sure it is big enough to accomodate growth, and a mattress comfortable for him as he grows. (since teenagers need about 10 hours of sleep a day) Rest is THE most important component to good health, and optimal functioning.

Anything that makes organization easy. I think 12 year olds still can develop a few deep brain creases, and if he starts, (he may already have good habits!) it will be invaluable to him if he goes on to college, and doesn't have mom to help out.

I like the suggestions that keep any decorating easy to change, such as murals on fabric, bulliten boards, etc.

Desks, AND a comfortable chair is important, and also a good articulating lamp.

One nice, personal, and often, effective communication technique (if there IS any with budding teens!), is to have a special place (a small box on a shelf......) for reminders, or a written note to just say "I love you". Might be too mushy, but you get the idea! Good luck!
  • Christine Gomberg
    10 years ago
    We did our son's room in a medium grey color with deep dark grey/ebony furniture. We got an oversized print from Ikea. He liked the wave but there are numerous cityscape prints to consider as well. Look at: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/decoration/10757/
  • Kay
    10 years ago
    OMG, get thee to the Restoration Hardware website a.s.a.p. + have a look-see at their scrumptuous boys' rooms gallery:
    http://www.rhbabyandchild.com/rooms/shopByRoom.jsp?cm_sp=global_top_nav_store-_-dynamic_menu_item-_-NA&categoryId=rhbc_cat115024.
    If money's no object, get your credit card + order away! Otherwise, just get inspired + go find authentic, less expensive real stuff, at the flea market. That's what I do!
    Good luck!
  • PRO
    Rabena Brothers Inc
    10 years ago
    I suggest finding an "Inspiration Room" in a magazine/or online that you both like and copy it as closely as you can! That's what we did with my son. I think we came pretty close to the photo, but he wanted a black and red color scheme, rather than red and brown. He was really pleased. (We created a "Headboard" light fixture above the bed (using 9 individual IKEA lights mounted to a black wooden board and hung it on the newly black painted wall to hide the wiring) and the Batman painting is by John Stango.) Convincing my husband on the Zebra wall-to-wall carpeting was the toughest part! But it just worked so much better than a solid color. So I had to insist. ;)
  • lgazzara
    10 years ago
    Did the same thing for 2 sons several years ago. Both in college now but each room still works. Set up each room like a studio apartment with bed acting as sofa, 1 lounge chair and desk area . One boy chose a lounge vibe and picked a round coffee table instead of desk. The other went urban with black ikea furniture, gray walks, silver metal fixtures. Walls where to be graffiti but never got to it- thankfully now. All the old skate boards are on the walls. Along with wall hooks at the desk for cool head phones and his dog tags jewelry they love to show off. Bedding is black but we threw in red throw pillow and it worked. The dorm refrigerators go in the rooms when they get back from school.
  • Pat Hager
    10 years ago
    I would start with the web site: muralsyourway.com as they have great murals that will get you started with your theme and then just accompany it with wall color and bedding. This is a really cool web site!
  • jessecomp
    10 years ago
    I would suggest shopping at IKEA if you have one close or on line. They have lots of black furniture, metal desks, etc. at great prices. Worked perfectly for my son's edgy style.
  • PRO
    Oopsy Daisy, Fine Art for Kids
    10 years ago
    lauradkim - Love your son's idea for his new room, and all these great ideas! We've got some wall art he may like, Ted Kim's "Cityscape" series http://www.oopsydaisy.com/store/kids-wall-decals/kids-wall-murals.html?dir=desc&order=created_at (image 1) But, we've also got an entire site devoted to teens and youth wall decor: Wheatpaste Art Collective www.wheatpaste.com Check out the Canvas Wall Art and Adhesive Decal Posters, Murals, and Letters! Some artists he may enjoy: Liz Brizzi http://www.wheatpaste.com/store/?artist=374 (image 2) koso http://www.wheatpaste.com/store/shop.html?artist=448 (image 3) Or take a look at our Urban/Industrial Theme for Guys http://www.wheatpaste.com/store/shop/boy-decor.html?theme=63 Hope he finds something perfect for a room he'll love for years!
  • PRO
    Lift & Stor Beds
    10 years ago
    Have you considered a hidden bed http://storagebeds.com/products/hidden-beds or storage bed http://storagebeds.com/products/storage-beds for this room? A hidden bed could replace that desk and save space in the room, while the storage bed would be a perfect place for him to use as storage.
  • PRO
    Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
    10 years ago
    Only a professional mural artist can truly transform any room into a special environment.
    Companies that produce murals through digital copy machines pale in comparison to the customization that an artist will do for you.
    An on site artist will work with what the room has to offer and compliment it.
    So many variables to consider with a room including, windows, doors, switch plates, ceilings, lighting, color, furniture placement, etc… etc…etc…
    These variables are impossible for a company that “prints” murals (especially from another state) to comprehend.
    It is well worth having a muralist visit your home to discuss the infinite possibilities for custom artwork.
    With a mural artist there are no limitations.
    Most muralists offer free in-home estimates and will provide their creative suggestions.
    The mural I included below has the names of my client's two children on two of the store fronts. This is just one example of personalizing your mural.
    If you care about highest quality and customized murals than I highly recommend you try a houzz search for murals or muralists and type in where you live.
    I’m positive that you will find several qualified artists that would be happy to meet with you.
    The whole process is fun and I can assure you that you will be more satisfied with a hand painted mural in your home, than a mural that arrives to your home in a tube.
    Good luck with your project and I hope your room turns out better than you dreamed it could be.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    A custom mural that includes your son in it...skateboarding down a street?
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    wow...you guys are now talking big bucks for a muralist to come paint! would be great, if affordable for a child's room....but what if her son grows tired of it quickly? I think I would think about doing something more economical in a kid's room. Just my opinion of course. I am an artist and all about promoting original art, don't get me wrong....just seems a bit extravagant in this case.
  • PRO
    Mural Art - Wall Murals and Custom Paintings
    10 years ago
    Follow up for mpoulsom, I'm glad my client's don't share your thoughts concerning what to spend on their children. I for one spend a ton on mine and I'm thankful for all those who have kept me from being a "starving artist." There are plenty of mural artists that are affordable and can make a significant impact on the design of a room. I always recommend to parents, to have an artist create something with staying power so that it will last.
    I suppose extravagance is in the eye and wallet of the beholder!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    My daughter is a muralist/college student who creates wonderful things for a few hundred (very few hundred!). I see our role as one to throw out the ideas. The poster will choose the ones that will work for them!
  • Wendy Klein
    10 years ago
    When my Daughter was nine we put up a wall mural of Saturn, for a space theme, She never tired of it and we had many comments on how awesome. It is not harder than putting up wall paper. she will be 20 soon. The house just sold, we had everything repainted except the wall mural. I highly recommend.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    tom @ wow effects....may I ask how much you charged for the ocean view mural just for reference? your murals are very impressive.
  • Allison Priore
    10 years ago
    Wow, really folks?
    Urban/city style is not a wall mural of a city (not to say they aren't super cool!), nor is it restoration hardware or old signs.
    The best idea I've read so far is the homemade graffiti mural using a sheet. I love that idea.
    CB2 will give you some great ideas. They have fantastic colors and very reasonable prices. If you do a canvas with black, white, grey, and some bright neon accent colors of your son's choosing, then you can pick up the accent colors in different places throughout the room. Their go-cart table collection is simple and functional, and they have file cabinets in bright colors too. Check out their office ideas too - boys' rooms tend to be more practical, and their office setups are both urban and sleek.
    And of course, Ikea is always a great resource too if you have one nearby, especially for low-priced lamps and accessories.
    Lastly, you'll need to switch out those mini blinds for something sleeker, like solar roller shades or honeycomb shades.
  • Kay
    10 years ago
    All this talk of murals had me remembering a very beautiful one that was featured on the old Michael Payne 'Designing For The Sexes' show on HGTV.
    http://www.lucyjensenstudio.com/t
    This ^^ southern California artist ^^ painted the most whimsical + charming mural which featured subtle references to all the Major League Baseball teams in the American + National Leagues.
    See below: Florida Marlins, Tama Bay Rays, Pittsburgh Pirates
    She was satisfying the desires of both parents: Dad, who wanted baseball, + Mom, who didn't want anything too literal + sports-themey.
    Success, I'd say!
  • smithabr
    10 years ago
    Easy sources for inspiration for Urban Style are in WEST ELM catalog
    http://www.westelm.com/pages/we-catalog/?cm_sp=GlobalLinks-_-Topnav-_-OnlineCatalog
    and also in CB2 catalog
    http://www.cb2.com/Catalog/
    World Market also has some good urban design furniture at great prices
    http://www.worldmarket.com/category/furniture/home-office.do?nType=1&ab=second:furniture:home-office
    happy shopping!!
    I have a 13 year old -- been there done that. Let him select some of the items if he really has a look he is going for. Good luck and have fun :)
  • gypsyrose17
    10 years ago
    You might ask him what he thinks urban/city design is...you might be surprised. I remeember when my neice who was 8 at the time said she was too old for her 'baby room' and wanted a grown up room...hers was still decorated Noah's Ark style baby room, the Ark had all baby animals. come to find out all she wanted was jungle decor with grown up animals and a bunk bed.
  • tcufrog
    10 years ago
    I think gypsyrose 17's idea is a good one. I recently had to replace my older son's bedroom furniture. I had picked out a captain's bed for him but before I purchased it I asked him what he wanted. It turns out that he had his heart set on a medium wood bunk bed with stairs instead of a ladder. Once I found that he was happy with whatever else I picked out. I also took him with me to IKEA to pick out a desk chair. It's a good thing I did because he thought the one I preferred was uncomfortable and preferred a different one.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    If you will be looking for a new bed, remember your son will be getting much larger over the next few years. Instead of a twin, may need a full.
    10 years ago
    FYI A twin is longer than a full size.
  • PartyIdea Pros
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of urban decor for a young teen's bedroom. There are so many options many of which are very affordable and easy to achieve. Check out this great Boys Urban Graffiti Bedroom Decor Ideas Inspiration Board. Lots of great bedding options, removable wall decals, metal & faux leather headboard ideas and even a few cityscape accessories. http://greatgets.com/style/boys-urban-graffiti-bedroom/
  • Anum Ismail
    10 years ago
    A double sort of bed would be best.. My husband and his bros got themselves double beds (basically queens) in their teens.. Apart from being the right size for their rooms, Those beds are still in their use. I say money well spent.
  • lindasdesign
    10 years ago
    Why not let him pick the theme? When my son was his age he loved the Chicago Bulls. I let him paint a big bulls head on his wall. I got bedding to coordinate and he put posters of Michael Jordan on his wall. He was so proud. It's only paint, and it's only for a season. My son is now 32 and we got into a conversation the other night about how cool it was that we let him do that because he really felt like we cared about what he liked. He thanked us for paying attention to small details that made a huge difference. He felt loved and important. He is now the father of 3 boys and understands how important those small details are . . . and HE is now paying attention! Life gives us opportunities to impact our kids all the time, we just need to pay attention. Best of luck helping find the right decor!
  • tcufrog
    10 years ago
    lindadesign...
    According to the original poster he said he wanted urban/city style.

If bed length is a cause for future concern you can find extra long twin beds, bunks and lofts like you see in college dorms by searching the Internet for college and dorm furniture. You can find bedding and mattresses for them by searching the Internet for xl twin bedding and mattresses. If you're interested in bricks and mortar stores Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond usually stock xl twin bedding for college students during July and August.
  • katymomof2
    10 years ago
    I can only suggest to think long-term unless you want to redo this room AGAIN in a few years! Choose a paint color that you both can live with and a bed that he will appreciate now as well as beyond! Time flies, remember. Cityscape could include metal cubbies that can be added or taken away over time. Posters are a easy low-budget addition and/or subtraction and your son can choose them keeping him involved in the 'design" of the room. You can find terrific and inexpensive desk-top lighting at your local big box store. Keep the fundamentals basic and solid and the rest can be manipulated over time! Have fun!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    When our son turned 13 we did a room redo. He chose to do 3 walls in one gray and the ceiling in another shade of gray. Final wall painted a red. Now 25 and no longer living at home, but so far have not felt the need to redo this room. It is now a combo sort of place, desk to pay bills, comfy chair for reading, and a twin bed for when son visits. And the look still works, pulled together with the choice of bed spread, pillows and drapes.

Just sayin... if you can't let loose and have a little fun with decor in a private space, such as a bedroom, where can you?
  • PRO
    Lindross Remodeling
    10 years ago
    Another cool thing to add to the space would be those letters that are made out of photos from architecture. Can spell his name, or for a teen maybe a word that would be something along the lines of: Dream, Strive, Vision, etc...
    http://nameart.alphabeticalarchitecture.com/
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Got to have a bike print…at 12 that's the only way he is getting around the city :>)

Also suggest this metal bed frame and the industrial lights.
    Bike In Black White And Red No 2, by Ben and Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

Black & White Apartment · More Info
  • kathleen raeymaekers
    10 years ago
    I just recently repainted my 14 year old son's room, and he loves it now
  • PRO
    Lori Fienberg Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Find out what "Urban/City" means to him. Ask him specifics like what colors and patterns he likes and doesn't like, what his needs are, what furniture he needs, ie. desk, hutch, bookcase, a nightstand... What kind of graphics (paintings, prints, murals, photographs...) does he like for the walls? Does he want a wood bed, upholstered bed or a metal frame bed? This will help you to narrow down your search for the right look. It's important to keep him involved in the process. Have him go with you to look and see what he gravitates towards. Whatever it is, a pillow, a color, a cool lamp, a photo, you can build on that.
    Also, in response to Kevin Retired Decorator, a twin size mattress is NOT longer than a full size mattress, an XL-twin is. The twin is 39"x75", an XL-twin is 39"x80", a full size is 54"x75" and a queen is 60"x80". My suggestion is go with a queen, if you have the room. He can grow into it and also is more conducive for house guests later on.
    Good luck.
    10 years ago
    @ Laura the poster of the Son's room, I noticed you have only posted once. R U interested in any further help ? If not you can you can delete the post. K
  • tcufrog
    10 years ago
    Lori...

Most kids rooms aren't big enough to comfortably accommodate a queen once you add a desk, hang out seating and a dresser. When he goes to college he'll probably sleep on an xl twin so why not put one in his bedroom now? A lot of teens would love to have the same amenities minus the roommate in their bedrooms plus if you buy the right stuff such as modular seating and storage they can take it to college with them, saving you money down the road. A friend of mine had an xl twin loft with built in desk during high school. Her father took it apart and she took it college with her.