yasminwallace

Crown molding on shaker style cabinets

yasminwallace
6 years ago
I have no knowledge on this so I need some advice. Our contractor told the cabinet builders to put straight edge crown molding on our cabinets. I had no idea this was even an option or thing to do, I just assumed it would be regular crown molding that comes out at an angle. I have several pictures saved of shaker style cabinets that all have that angle molding. After doing some research I see that some people choose straight edge look. Now I'm having issues understanding why they're telling me it's a problem to have angled molding bc our ceiling isn't even. We cannot be the first people in the history of kitchen remodeling to have this issue so whats the problem?? I'm very frustrated and just want it to look right in the end. I don't like the straight edge look, it makes it feel too contemporary/modern for my liking.

Comments (35)

• User
    6 years ago

It's your house and your money. You get to make the decisions, not him.

• Junee Bug
    6 years ago
    I have shaker cabinets with angled ceilings! I insisted on this moulding because I also didn't like the straight edge for same reason as yours. Here it is, they just cut the areas on the ceiling that has an angle and added on areas to make my ceiling look even-- you can't tell unless you look up close and try to count how many angles there are.
  • PRO
    Roanoke Woodworking Inc.
    6 years ago

More than likely, the contractor doesn't have it in his budget to take the time to scribe a crown molding to the ceiling. Yes, it can be done, but can be very labor intensive. Maybe your contractor doesn't feel he has the skill to do this. You also have to understand that the crown will not have it's full profile height across the room, and the waviness of your finished ceiling may be more pronounced with a crown, versus the square molding you have.

Is the ceiling waviness an error? I don't know enough about the project to comment on that. There also appears that there may not be enough ceiling space to fit a crown molding under your current soffit.

• PRO
    Carolina Kitchen & Bath
    6 years ago

It's up to you, the decision shouldn't be made on your behalf. The ceiling being even doesn't really make a difference in this. That said, I like the straight up crown.

• jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Regular crown moulding would be completely unsuitable with these cabinets.
  • PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    6 years ago
    This is the area that becomes a challenge. Adding a projecting crown moulding will draw your eye to the fact that your cabinets and soffits don't exactly align. Not an argument against crown you just have to be aware. If you do crown I would only do a cove not something busy.
  • Paddy
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm not too fond of the molding your contractor gave you, either...it looks rather inelegant/clunky, somehow. As has been pointed out, any decent contractor will be able to make the molding fit the ceiling. The challenge may be the amount of space you have between the soffit and the top of the cabinet. Can you measure it and let us know what it is (vertical height of current molding)? It doesn't look like there is a lot of room there, so something simple and in keeping with the Shaker cabinets would be best. See: https://goo.gl/images/cmCDs9 - and also Google "Shaker crown molding" (search on images) - there are a number of alternatives that aren't too fussy, but much will depend on the amount of space. Less space=less detail. Also, when you go around the corner to the window wall, you have very little horizontal space where the crown meets the soffit - depending on the angle and the height of the crown, it might not fit. (and while I was typing, Ellsworth-Hallett pointed out just this problem)

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

First off, you should have what you want and they should do it no matter if crown or not. However, I feel that a crown on these is not simpatico

• Porter Edun
    6 years ago

Agree with Ellsworth......

you can do something more simple that is coved... yet, not a lot of busy crown.

• yasminwallace
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks for the responses. I'm being told that this molding will just be put on top of what they have already put on and it will be level with the ceiling meaning the bottom will be uneven in certain areas. Cove molding or crown molding I don't care which it ends up being as long as it sticks out at an angle and doesn't look like the lid on Tupperware like it does now. As far as the soffit on the side, we can always build it out a little at some point if it really bothers us right? That's the only area where the molding would stick out past the soffit.
  • cpaul1
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I wouldn't put a real traditional angled molding on such modern looking cabinets. I would keep whatever you end up doing very simple. I just redid a kitchen similar to yours. I had the soffits removed, however, so that the cabinets could go all the way to the ceiling. And then because nothing is ever perfectly straight, I ended up having to stain/paint a two inch piece of wood that attached to the tops of the cabinets. So then when I installed the molding along the ceiling line on top of that piece of extra wood, I let that two inch wood make up any difference there was so that the molding could remain along the ceiling line. That was much less noticeable than if the molding didn't come up to the ceiling all along the cabinetry. It ended up actually making the cabinets look more custom as well. I also unfortunately have one section where the angled molding sticks out past the wall and it doesn't look very noticeable there either. Sometimes, realizing it's not perfect and that most things aren't in life, you just have to do what you have to do. In your case, if you're going to keep that straight molding there and put the angled over it, in essence your straight molding could work the same way as my 2 inch piece in terms of bridging any gaps you may have.

• Junee Bug
    6 years ago
    What does your other moulding around the house look like? Are there curves on your door and window mouldings? It really just depends on what style you want. The nice thing about shaker cabinets is that they can meet almost any style. Most shaker cabinets go with craftsman style homes and they use simple lines - no curves. Here's a few that will give you the angle that you want without the traditional curve. If you can live with it now, it will bother you everyday so go for what you want. Good luck and congrats on your already beautiful kitchen!
  • lwfromny
    6 years ago
    I also have shaker cabinets and I have VERY unlevel ceilings (1930s home). Using crown (had I wanted it) would have made the ceiling issue extremely obvious, because the carpenter would have had to trim the top edge of the crown significantly in certain areas, and there would have been gaps in others. Instead we did a flat trim board above the cabinets (similar to but less chunky than yours), and then did a piece of quarter round all the way around to keep the trim from looking too two dimensional. Here are some photos so you can see what I mean.

I do agree with others that crown is not the ideal look for shaker cabinets anyway, which call for extremely simple lines. Whatever you decide, keep it as clean and simple as possible.
  • queeni1951
    6 years ago
    Shaker cabinets are being used by everyone these days regardless of Craftsman type house or otherwise.
    Go for the crown you like!
  • PRO
    User
    6 years ago

Simply le is best. Tooboverwrought always looks wrong. I like what is there.

• Junee Bug
    6 years ago
    Good idea from lefrommy! Maybe add a small detail on the top! If you just want the angle and to cover the uneven ceiling instead of her quarter round ( which looked great btw)- add one those mouldings they put on doors. Here is a sample pic.
  • yasminwallace
    Original Author
    6 years ago

After looking at several pictures I've saved over time of shaker cabinets and what my dream kitchen would look like, my favorite look has an angled crown molding. I cannot live with what they have done so far, it really bothers me. I'd rather go with the traditional and figure it out another time if it's not right. Thanks for all the pictures and advice, I appreciate it.

• Patsy Van Pelt
    6 years ago

One other thought - try a stepped design. I'll try to describe it but think of an upside down staircase. You could have the angle but with the square profile that is more similar to the cabinets. Try different step heights and widths - they don't have to be equal! Play with some scraps of wood and see if you can stack them in a profile you like. Try two steps or three steps - mix the heights. I bet you will find something you like! By the way, your kitchen looks beautiful!

• remodelingincali
    4 years ago

I came home to the exact same thing! Our kitchens look very similar...I wanted an angled moulding with a bit of some design element...what did your molding end up looking like? would you mind sharing a photo? my contractor told me he'd build it out, but I was surprised to see the flat plain straight up and down molding. I think it looks terrible too.

• felizlady
    4 years ago

You may be able to add an additional small piece of crown molding to give the straight trim a little style.
    Cabinet people seem to think the straight simple trim goes better with Shaker doors, because my cabinet people did the same simple molding, but just a tad taller. The important thing is, if you add an additional piece, it must be painted the exact same color. I am still
    considering such an addition.

• km kane
    4 years ago

I completely agree with you. Crown or cove trim would look so much nicer than the plain, boxy stuff they installed. I think the solution they offered is good. And I think that with light cabinets against a white ceiling, any gaps can be filled with caulk. Get what you want, do not settle for less.

• PRO
    GannonCo
    4 years ago

There is dedicated CABINET moldings NOT crown molding. Crown molding is cut at an angle at the ceiling and wall/cabinet. Cabinet molding is usually a solid piece of wood with a 90 degree back that goes flat on the cabinet and then perpindicular with your ceiling. The difference is crown molding needs the ceiling to support it where cabinet molding doesn't. Tell your supposed carpenter to go to a molding store not Home Depot.

It looks fine as is or use what Porter Edun? has shown as that would be the appropriate molding for your cabinets. Notice how that molding doest protrude past the face of your doors?

• Carla Semancik
    4 years ago

I like the squared off look. I am joining this conversation with hopes of a few opinions. I am in Ohio and had an Amish cabinet maker do my cabinets. I told him I wanted a small molding about 2 inches. He kept insisting on 3 and I told him that is not what i want. Well cabinets started going in yesterday.. he put in 3 inch crown.. i measured it last night. i feel like it looks too traditional especially above my refrigerator..he also got the shade of the cabinets off..

• Lalisa Lovelace
    3 years ago

I agree with you the cabinet maker should have went with what you said. I like the clean edge squarish look. 3 inches is too big. Tell him to change it!

• Kate
    3 years ago

Just remember “caulk and paint make it what the carpenter ain’t”

• PRO
    123completecarpentry LLC
    3 years ago

shaker style cabinets are a modern euro design and should have a modern square design for crown moulding and I'd to wanted the angle 52\38 or the 45 degree crown it should have been in the plan from the start. if your ceilings are uneven, it's easier to make them look good with straight square crown, if you have angled crown, it would be harder and more noticeable that your house is crooked.
    I usually drop the cabinets down to allow for crown but on uneven ceilings I drop them down an extra inch so not to deal with ceiling unevenness but use a cove crown and nothing too of a Victorian style

• km kane
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness! So many opinions. They are all correct and they are all wrong. What is right is to get what you want. Only you have to live with them. (For the record, I’ve had both. I think it depends on the height of your ceiling, whether your corners ar sharp or Rounded like yours, and the design of the kitchen).

• aliceingardenland
    3 years ago

I was surprised to see this boring modern straight trim in my traditional designed house too. I was expecting something beautiful. I liked the option you were given. How did it turn out? I would love to a picture.

• Carla Semancik
    3 years ago

I kept the trim like it is in picture. I got used to it.

• aliceingardenland
    3 years ago

Thank you.

• Jane Y
    3 years ago

I'm having the same problem. Remodeling kitchen & refacing our traditional cabinets to shaker. Just had gc here and although I wanted to have soffets removed & cabs go to ceiling its not feasible without a Ton of ceiling work which hubby doesn't want to do. So I'm stuck with it. I do really like the look of the crown molding on there now but apparently its a no no? I'm going white to brighten up this kitchen. New counter height island, taj majal quartzite countertops,chevron backsplash & Ge Cafe white appliances. Has anyone kept their " fancier" crown with shaker? Or should I just change it? Thank you in advance.

• Adam Hoke
    3 years ago

Our cabinet maker did a bigger crown on our shaker style cabinets and I really like it.

• Jane Y
    3 years ago

Looks beautiful. Thank you.

• Gerri Miezio
    2 years ago

I have shaker style cabinets that do not go up to the ceiling and we do not have soffits. We have ceiling crown molding and the contractor put a small crown molding on the cabinets. I was not thrilled with what he put up because the two architectural styles seem to be fighting with each other. I was thinking a more plain, simpler, cove style would look best or nothing at all. I, too, do not like the traditional square shaker crown molding - too modern looking for me. I have more of a colonial/primitive decor. What are you thoughts?