isabelleteolis

Weathered Oak Stain on Red Oak?

maria T
6 years ago

Any photos of floors with this stain? we are considering it for our floors (vs clear/natural). Any thoughts or advice?

I love how they look now, unfinished (and wish they could stay like that!), and want to avoid pink undertones or yellowing...

Left is weathered oak, middle is bona classic seal, right is bona amber seal...

Comments (47)

• PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    6 years ago

It's been my experience that the stain will read red/ purple. Iv'e added "tints all" product in "Avocado" to neutralize it.

maria T thanked Aggie dba Aggie Designs
  • maria T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you! do you recommend keeping them natural if the weathered oak stain makes it purple/red?

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I recommend keeping it natural because that is the timeless look - very flexible with many styles. Weathered gray is the on trend look that will fade in a few years.

maria T thanked jhmarie
  • maria T
    Original Author
    6 years ago

thank you Jhmarie. On the photo above there is a finish with bona amberseal and one with the bona classic. The classic seems to bring out the pink undertones but I worry the amberseal will look too orange/yellow with time. Do you have experience with either?

• PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    6 years ago

I vote for the Amber Seal

• jhmarie
    6 years ago

I don't have experience with either, but I do know that water base finishes amber / yellow much less than the older oil base finishes.

• Dana Nelson
    6 years ago

We are going through the exact same dilemma right now...What did you decide on? I think we are leaning toward weathered oak, although we have a natural with 5% gray also that looks pretty good...

• maria T
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    We did weathered oak and we love it! It’s very natural looking, doesn’t even look like a stain. Tones down the pink from the red oak and didn’t add any “golden”. We finished it in a satin finish (Bona high traffic).
  • cmintosa
    6 years ago

Following, would like to see floors when you are finished. Will be building in next two years and thinking of going with oak floors. I like either left or right.

• m y
    6 years ago

following

• L S
    4 years ago

We ended up staining our red oak floors with weathered oak and love it.

• tritaytan
    4 years ago

We are all sanded down and cant pick a color. Yours are beautiful, but why are they a different color then the above posters picture of weathered oak?.

Also, did they use a stain blocker first?. Thanks so much!

• harry savage
    4 years ago

weathered oak has a hint of gray to it but not much. my wife and I wanted to add 25%classic gray to 75% weather oak. but either one cant go wrong. I've noticed that pics of floors are very different depending on the light.

• harry savage
    4 years ago

minwax, weathered oak, classic gray
    duraseal, classic grey, warm gray
    then a mix 50 50

we eneded up going with just straight weather oak

• tritaytan
    4 years ago

do you have a picture of your floor in the weathered oak?

• harry savage
    4 years ago

floors will be completed tomorrow. can't walk on it until Tuesday. will take pics then for you. I have red oak #2. type of wood also effects how stain will look. weathered oak stain is a very easy color to match with paint, cabinets, curtains etc...

• R Alford
    4 years ago

following...

• harry savage
    4 years ago

weathered oak on #2 red oak flooring is gorgeous. taking pics tomorrow, a little delayed. Happy I didn't go with any of the gray floors. reason being, weathered oak pulls out so many colors including gray anyway.

• harry savage
    4 years ago

#2 red oak, weathered oak stain, satin finish. as you can see, the light, camera angle really changes the color. but very accurate

• tritaytan
    4 years ago

Thanks for posting pictures!

• harry savage
    4 years ago

middle pic is the most accurate

• Jamie B
    4 years ago

Yes! We just had our red oak floors stained with minwax weathered oak. They turned out a beautiful puddy color with grey brown variations.

• tritaytan
    4 years ago

So weird, it doesn't look anything like that on my red oak floors, yours look beautiful!, I am still sampling stain colors.

• Jamie B
    4 years ago

Make sure it’s minwax and the Van is stirred really well

• harry savage
    4 years ago

samples on the floor are typically small and from my recent experience it's almost impossible to see ture color. advice, I'd narrow it down to 2 and increase the sample size...maybe in a discrete spot. I didnt see nearly all of the beautiful color variations in the small sample spot compared to finished product when I did it.

• Geri May
    4 years ago

Hi Harry and everyone who used Minwax weathered oak stain on red oak floors. Can you finished with a different brand water based polyurethane e.g Bona Traffic HD?

• harry savage
    4 years ago

if the floors are new, not sure why it would be an issue.

• Geri May
    4 years ago

Old floors, I am getting them resanded

• Geri May
    4 years ago

Maria T, do you have pictures of the your red oak floors with Minwax weathered oak stain and Bona Traffic HD. I am leaning towards the same combination. Thank you!!!!

• Jamie B
    4 years ago

This is 5” plank #1 red oak with minwax weathered oak stain with water based sealer.

• Raychel Camilleri
    3 years ago

Love this thread! Going through the same dilemma now.

• Geri May
    3 years ago

Highly recommend using Weathered Oak + Simple Walnut Stain. Bona HD waterbased polyurethane finish. I love my how my red oak floors turned out.

• Hannah de los Reyes
    3 years ago

@Jamie B LOVE your floors! We have red oak floors in the new house and the color and finish yours turned out to be are my goals. Is it only one coat of the Weathered Oak? Did you mix with anything else? And what's the finish? Matte? Our flooring guy is trying to get us to go with satin but I actually want more of a matte like appears in your pic.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

You must have a remnant board you can try several stain colors and top coat on: do that first so you can choose the color you want. Don’t rely on a picture on the can of stain. The variety of wood and the grain pattern can affect the final color

• Maribeth Burns
    3 years ago

We are trying to decide between oil based and water based poly. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

• Lindsey Rose
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Maribeth Burns did you end up using oil based or water based? Thanks!

• zen_living
    3 years ago

I was told water based would work better if you are trying to stay away from yellow orange tones as oil based poly will turn yellow a couple months down the road! Water based won’t turn yellow and it’s recomended for lighter stain colors! I hope this helps

• HU-779865177
    3 years ago

KimA

i stripped a red oak table wanted to get the red out so I have used bob villas bleach method which takes a lot of red out but want a little color has anyone done any process of bleaching red oak and stained with mimwax weathered ok

• Jacqueline Erickson
    3 years ago

we have red oak and we are considering weathered oak..we asked for a sample of 50/50 weathered oak and classic gray but I wasn't a fan. Does anyone have pics of their finished product?

• Maribeth Burns
    3 years ago

We have red oak floors and used Weathered Oak stain. We used Bona traffic to finish. I love it! This picture makes it look more washed out than it is though.

• Maribeth Burns
    3 years ago

We used weathered oak stain and Bona Traffic to finish. I love it!

• Angela Pignataro
    3 years ago

Minwax Weathered Oak is MUCH lighter than Varathane Weathered Oak.

The second from the top is Minwax, the one under is Varathane. Huge difference.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

@Maribeth Burns, the floors are beautiful! I hope you’re happy with them.

• dani_m08
    3 years ago

@Angela Pignataro - would you mind listing what each of your stains samples are? Also, when you wrote “second from the top” - does that mean the second full sample? I assume that’s what you’re referring to and not the second stain in the top sample that’s been divided in half with two very different stains. Thanks!

• Pam Tormanen
    last year

Jamie, did you use a matte or satin finish?

• carobranch
    10 months ago

@Geri May, did you use a 50/50 mix of the 2 stains?