fambler66

Designs for a very small house

fambler66
7 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi, I have a very small empty 8m x [6m] house. I need to fit 2 bedrooms, bathroom/laundry, kitchen and lounge in it any ideas attached is what I've been playing with. Desperate for some ideas. Thank you.

Comments (26)

• Country House Gal
    7 years ago
    Please confirm measurements? 3m x 8m? That seems awfully small...could work it with 1 bedroom, but 2 seems unlikely.
  • fambler66
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Sorry it's 8 x 6.
  • Country House Gal
    7 years ago
    Where are the current doors and windows located?
  • oklouise
    7 years ago

here's my suggestion for a 2 bed house within 6m x 8m....the plan could be reversed and windows added to suit the outlook and a small verandah added to shelter an outside sitting area and the entry doors

• Country House Gal
    7 years ago
    This is basically the same as what I had come up with. I just wasn't sure if this would work with current window and doors layout.
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Are you going to live in this house

• Country House Gal
    7 years ago
    A builder friend of mine says he wouldn't make bedrooms smaller than 3x3m these days.
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

Hi CHG, yes this layout is only 6 x 7.2 so there's extra space available. I didn't think that such a small house needed such a big kitchen, better to have more living space, but depends what it's going to be used for. Laundry cabinet could be placed into a cupboard where the hot water is or as per the other plan, perhaps even just and old copper and concrete sink out the back!!

• fambler66
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This will actually be going into a park home, and I will be living in it, there are no set windows, doors etc. as I haven't finalised the details with the builder, so I am open to all ideas.
    Thank you so much for the designs that have come through already. May I ask what app/program you use to do these plans?
  • fambler66
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Also forgot to add that on one side there will be a fence about 1m away from the building along the 8m side and at one end there is a retainer wall with a 1.8m fence and a park road at the other end.
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Sounds perfect fambler66, would you consider adding sliding doors to the second bedroom so that you can actually have a bigger space to live with a computer desk and close the doors when you have visitors, perhaps a night and day lounge. You will even have space outside for a BBQ if you wanted. I have Easy Blue and a couple of other freebees sketchup, Floor planner, just need time to spend on them it wouldn't hurt to be a bit younger, . cheers

• fambler66
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I have looked at concertina doors for the bedrooms and bathroom to make more space, and light as they have opaque glass panels in them.
    As for a verandah I have another 2.5 x 4m to play with
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

That's a good size verandah and adds a lot of extra space, not sure about the doors you have looked at but it's a very good idea so that you can get extra light and a feeling of space and would imagine they would work out less expensive, your builder will know do you need your own laundry or will you use the park laundry?

• PRO
    planland
    7 years ago

Hi Guys, I know I'm coming in a little late, but I have attached a concept granny flat design that we have been working on. It is very similar in size to your project and you may give you some inspiration.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    I think you can go 2.9m x3m + robe for the bedrooms with bed against 2.9 wall . Also Iike the eat in kitchen idea to increase the size of the lounge room.
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

PL well done, good plan to work with/from. Just adding a photo of sliding panels to help with light and space, they do a great job.

• Lynley Jenness
    7 years ago

Do you have a height restriction? I'm not sure of your age/agility but a lot of tiny houses have a loft bedroom over the top of the kitchen/ bathroom in what might have been dead attic space. This adds lots of extra floor space but you need 3m or 9 foot stud at least in that end, preferably 4m. You can have a roof that slopes with the high point above the kitchen/bathroom upper bedroom area That could give you a second bedroom for visitors and your main bedroom and living areas could be made bigger on the ground floor.

• Deirdre Foot
    7 years ago

Like the plans but I personally think, after living in small houses in NZ myself, having the second bedroom separated from the first (at least by the bathroom area) is a better option than 3 bedrooms. You could incorporate an office and entertainment area into the living space instead of adding a 3rd bedroom, or a washer and dryer in a cupboard or into the kitchen as many Europen houses do. Clever storage and multifunctional ideas, e.g. under bed storage, storage under built-in seating that can double as an extra bed, may be much better options than squeezing in a 3rd bedroom. I cannot stress enough how a feeling of space in your open plan living / dining / kitchen area is so important when you cannot utilise the outdoors in winter or inclement weather.

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Happy Easter Fambler66 have you sorted your floor plan yet

• Laura Beaupeurt
    7 years ago
    A thought I had, to increase your storage space somewhat, would be to build in some cavity shelves (if that makes sense)- so recessed into walls.
  • fjcassie
    7 years ago

Happy Easter to all you wonderful people here, thank you for all the ideas I am incorporating lots into the new plan. Definitely only having 2 bedrooms, and I am seriously thinking of adding an extra metre to the length, making it 9m x 6m. Thank you to one and all

• Deirdre Foot
    7 years ago

Hope it all goes very well and Happy Easter to you too sounds wonderful.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Just don't forget the laundry.
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

yes don't forget the laundry, I did suggest putting a washer /dryer into the cupboard in the kitchen as per plan, but perhaps the Park will have laundry facilities, looking forward to seeing your slightly bigger plan cheers

• fambler66
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    My hand drawn plan has the laundry and bathroom combined hence the bigger area there.