rainbowgold1

Do I get a Hot/Cold instant water tap in kitchen?

rainbowgold1
7 years ago

Do or don't? If so, which make.. any pro's and cons, reviews, advice, recommendations?

Comments (13)

• Isidora Markovic
    7 years ago

Hi there,

Do you mean a boiling water tap? If so, a lot of Houzzers had good things to say about the boiling water tap by Quooker in a [recent poll[(https://www.houzz.co.uk/discussions/what-is-your-most-valued-kitchen-appliance-dsvw-vd~4406856).

rainbowgold1 thanked Isidora Markovic
  • rainbowgold1
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you and yes I did mean a boiling water tap, thanks.

• PRO
    The Myers Touch
    7 years ago
    An absolute must!!!
    rainbowgold1 thanked The Myers Touch
  • Jonathan
    7 years ago

My favourite taps (based on looks) are made by Dornbracht

https://www.dornbracht.com/en-gb/products/kitchen/lot/

rainbowgold1 thanked Jonathan
  • Tim Summers
    7 years ago

We had that choice when we fitted our new kitchen and categorically decided that it (in our specific situation) was a bad idea to have.

It all depends on your situation though. We have young kids, we have young nieces/nephews and also 'elderly' relations. We decided that the majority of people using our house, who may wish to wash their hands, or rinse a cup out by hand would just turn on a tap and stick their hands under.

Trying to re-educate both the young and the old not to use this tap when everyone has grown up with, and are used to, warm water coming out of the hot tap just wasn't going to be possible.

Also, I don't really see the point of them (I view them as a nice to have) - I've always used a kettle for boiling water for drinks - I actually like the 5 minutes standing doing absolutely nothing waiting for the kettle to boil. As for the spuds, or pasta - mehh, I'm never in that much of a rush to have it done 5 minutes quicker than letting a pan boil.

• PRO
    Davonport Kitchen & Home
    7 years ago

Hi rainbowgold1,

We work on a lot of projects that include a boiling water/ drinking water tap. Depending on the model you choose some even have the facility to produce boiling, chilled and sparkling water from a single spout. Having a hot water tap also negates the need for a kettle so it reduces clutter on your worktop.

Depending on the wider layout of your kitchen you can use a boiling water tap as a secondary tap on a prep sink for example. You can of course opt for an all in one mixer and boiling water tap but you could also choose to have your normal mixer over your main sink and a separate hot tap over a prep sink or font. This creates a designated drinks space, or food prep area.

Lots to think about and factor in but in our experience they're a very popular and highly valued aspect of many of our projects.

Hope this helps,

Davonport.

• PRO
    Nicola Scannell Design and Property
    7 years ago

You can have the boiling tap as another tap next to your washing tap to avoid confusion. I would rarely design a kitchen without one. They have safety features to prevent children from using them. They are fab for cooking pasta etc.

• kikiamack
    7 years ago
    I think another consideration is how hard the water is in your area. We have really hard water and when we looked at the cost of the softening canisters and the frequency they need changing we decided it would be far too expensive on an ongoing basis.
  • obobble
    7 years ago
    We chose to stick with a kettle, though the noise can be a bit much in a large open plan space when you are trying to listen to the TV, radio, podcast or music. We have hard water tho so boiling tap not cheap to run and so just have to pause or rewind entertainment as necessary. Just make sure your kettle is a quick one!
  • PRO
    Peden & Pringle Ltd
    7 years ago
    Hello. Tim has some valid points above re: young & older members of the family or visiting family however I would recommend if you can to get one. Quooker are the best in my opinion. Try and find somewhere to have a look at one on display. They come in many different variations & the 'fusion' model is my personal favourite. Good luck!
  • PRO
    KutchenPlus Kitchens Islington
    7 years ago
    Quooker Fusion comes with cold, warm and boiling water in a single tap and it comes with safety feature for boiling water usage. Would recommend it. We have two Quooker taps in our showroom if you would like to check it out.
  • PRO
    Quooker UK
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

We would love to tell you more about our products, please contact us at: info@quooker.co.uk