meganvetter

Master Bath Lighting

Megan Vetter
11 years ago
Help me choose a sconce for my master bath vanity. I'm torn between these two pieces. Both are beautiful...

thanks for the help!!
CRYSTAL SCONCE
BACKPLATE SCONCE

Comments (59)

• silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Megan, could you hellp us out, please? Thanks!
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Hi Megan, I voted for the backplate sconce. Between the two choices, it's a no-brainer for me. :)
  • Related Discussions

sitting room within master bedroom

Q

Comments (20)
    like so (sorry took liberty with your pic using paintbrush app). in second tv be installed on an island of a solid wall, remaining wall be of glass: use frosted tempered glass for doors n all.. this way you get another expanse of wall to do loads with n utilize full potential (area) of room.. also providing a wall surface on the back of the tv 'island' wall to the sitting area for say a painting, maybe? plus tehre won't be glare on the tv screen either if it's on teh wall-glass partition.. only issue being the slightly longer approach (i-e through dressing room) to bathroom area, which ain't so bad either.. in ur original plan i don't like how a door is sprouting out in the middle of a great expanse of wall... what a waste..
    ...See More

Need help for small master bedroom with light wood flooring.

Q

Comments (4)
    I'd suggest you have a look through the photos section on Houzz - or there's quite a few good articles on how to decorate :) maybe both you & your wife could save pictures to an ideabook with a few words on what it is you like about each one, and it'll give you more of an idea of what type of things you like? I think colour-wise, turquoise and peach can go together really well - maybe a warm cream colour on the walls & pops of turquoise and peach in the form of throw cushions etc.? Again, just searching on Houzz can give you some great ideas - just literally searching 'turquoise and peach' brings up quite a lot of pictures :) to get you started I've just picked out a few which I personally think work well :)
    ...See More

small budget big make over (master bedroom)

Q

Comments (12)
    your choice of furniture pallet is realy beautiful.
    ...See More

Master closet and bath

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi, can you share the plan for the condo and some interior styles that you like. Based on that some suggestions can be provided.
    ...See More
  • printesa
    11 years ago
    As style, I would go with the second option since it would go better with what I see in the room. However, like others mentioned, it is too small and the placement seems too high. Maybe the photo makes it look that high..not sure. If the placements are that high, then you should look at some sconces that are long and come down enough to balance a bit.
  • cyn222
    11 years ago
    I would find the mirror first and place sconce at sides, not above.
  • printesa
    11 years ago
    something long like this maybe?
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Who knows? I can't tell without measurements, or a point of reference, like the mirror in position, on the wall.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    I can't "vote" in support of either of these lighting fixtures. They are both nice but neither are large enough for this location. IMHO, neither will supply enough light to be useful.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    We just installed the second fixture in a master bathroom, we used three fixtures for two mirrors. They supply plenty of light and are plenty big enough. The location needs to be verified so that they are at face height (about 5'3" to center of fixture seems to work best)...beyond that ...it is your call.
  • PRO
    Helga Simmons Interior Design LLC
    11 years ago
    I have used the sconces that printesa suggested for clients a couple of times before.They are inexpensive and efficient. The junction box for sconces to left and right of the mirror is usually 5'6" high, no higher than 68", as Joanne suggested.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    The location of the two junction boxes appears to be higher than the recommended height in the provided photo, which is the reason I asked the homeowner for measurements of the size of that wall and of the featured vanity. Without a reference point, or measurements, it is impossible to know how particular lighting fixtures will look, or function, in another setting.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Helga, the glass on these fixtures is frosted. Frosted glass is never as efficient as clear glass. If efficiency is really important, clear glass may be a better choice.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Silverscreenstar, you don't want clear glass, because then you have the bulbs (we call them lamps) shine directly into you eyes. There should also be a can light behind you in the ceiling, with a PAR lamp in it, I.e. behind the person who stands in front of the sink. (There is one, I just saw).
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    In both Canada and the US, most bulbs, or lamps, as you call them, are usually frosted. Don't know what a PAR lamp is. We don't use that term here, either. Where are you located?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    silverscreenstar, PAR lamps are Parabolic Aluminized Reflector Lamps. See this link. I use these always when I am using can lights, because they give a much better and more beautiful light than ordinary floods. I use 75w for most can lights up to 10' ceilings, and 50w in line voltage tracks at 8' ceilings. If I am lighting art, of course, I use MR16 low voltage lamps.
  • Megan Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hello everyone!! I'm back with more pictures and measurements. Thank you for all of the input, I wish I would have asked sooner! The room is 8.5X8.5 with 9' ceiling, and originally roughed for a double vanity w/built in medicine cabinets...then I decided against the two sinks so we changed the vanity dimensions to 54" but not the lighting. I never noticed they were set too high, till I began looking for the right fixtures (hence the elongated/hanging lights). Now that we will be moving them down to 66"-68" my options are greater.

Now, my concern is what is the amount of light that each sconce should provide???? Watts?? I'm a frosted glass person, my husband says no "lamp shade" look. I also love this Deco sconce.

Thank you again for your help!!!!!
  • PRO
    Dodie Shoemaker
    11 years ago
    I would stick with the chrome and not introduce a black deco inspired fixture unless you were going all the way. Lights over the vanity are for room light not face light. I have found low voltage pendants at the vanity are nice for face lighting, but not a primary light source. Hopefully the room has another light source in the center? Lots of nice tile. The sconces could work if they flanked the mirror on two sides, especially with a smaller vanity, or cut through the mirror, go big on the mirror. Helps with the bling you like. I have found for some good lighting, the bulb needs to be close to 60" at 45 degree angle to face. Or if you really want to put on make up, add a plug in fluorescent vanity light that you can stow away after use.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    I would NOT use black anywhere in this bathroom. The metal trim on the lights should match the color of the plumbing fixtures, (faucet, handles, etc.). Buy the plumbing fixtures first, then the lighting, not the other way around! Hope that is helpful.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Megan! Welcome back! Hard to give advice, without feedback!
  • PRO
    Dodie Shoemaker
    11 years ago
    Has anyone mentioned how high that backsplash is, and along with the chair rail trim, how are you even hanging a mirror there? Sorry just noticed. Makes it very difficult. Are you both really tall?
  • Megan Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    There will be a semi flush mount on the ceiling for more room light. The black deco fixture also comes in a white porcelain which I would prefer. We are "taller" people, but I think the mirror and other decor will work fine with the high tile and chair rail. The counter top is Cambria in "whitney" (has a lot of sparkle, but pictures do it no justice).
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Thanks! I Now know what these bulbs are properly called. I have been buying them for several years, without knowing! Thanks for educating me!
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    I was also wondering about the chair rail trim but didn't want to raise the issue. Another potential bubble-buster for Megan. :-( I can't see a mirror lying flat on the wall because of it, but I don't like to be the one who is always bursting someone's bubble. Sorry, Megan.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    On a more positive note, I like "Whitney" for this bathroom, a lot. I have four Cambria countertops in my home, all different, and I love the product. Their installers are fabulous, too. Great choice! I would however, think about changing the paint color from the icy aqua, to a mid, or darker, gray. Would bring out the bling in the quartz, and the gleem of the stainless steel plumbling fixtures (my preference, over chrome). A little more expensive, but last longer, than chrome.
  • Megan Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    We didn't think to buy the mirror before setting the tile...but I was able to find some fun inspirations to ease the tile "oops" Thanks for the color tip silverscreenstar I will be repainting and thankfully paint is interchangeable :)
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We all learn something every day!
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Thanks, Helga!
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Megan, the mirrors in the left photo are very ornate. IMHO, they don't really fit in with your vanity or flooring. In the right photo, I like the large oval one, in the centre. I would consider using two of these, with three wall lights, one between them, and one on either side. Make sure the frames are silver, rather than in gold tones, to match your lighting and plumbing fixtures. I hope that is helpful. Silver would be the better choice for your Whitney quartz, too!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Silverscreenstar, Forgive me for contradicting you, but there is no space for two mirrors. That cabinet looks no longer than 4'6". Even if its 5', it won't work. - The oval mirror looks good to me too.
  • Megan Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I will post more pictures as the remodel progresses, the cabinet is not set and there is hardware and the middle door to attach once the sink and countertop arrive. I am an indecisive eclectic type so finding the right mirror may take awhile but I really appreciate all of the advice, and tips and designer secrets. I am ordering the sconces tonight (maybe) so check back to see the winner! ;)
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Oops! You are absolutely correct, Helga. I stand corrected. My mistake.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    LOL@Megan. I can hardly wait to see the winner :-)
  • michee627
    11 years ago
    why not do the sconces but also do a ceiling fixture. In theory the sconces will help for the whole shadows with makeup issue but the overhead will be good for the general lighting. And the sconces are about at head height if I understand the theory correctly. Interested in the thoughts on this as I'm doing the same in my bath!!
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    How long is your vanity?
  • michee627
    11 years ago
    mine? mine is 60" with a center sink. Designed for two little girls the mirror is a butterfly mirror from pottery barn kids with the wings to the left and right of the sink and an oval mirror over the sink itself. I'm hanging pendants (no room for wall sconces) but intended to hang at more of an adult head level (they won't care about makeup til then if I have something to say about it) and an over head light. the bath is long an narrow so I thought a celing fixture would be more for "going to the bath" and the pendants (hanging about where a sconce would be) would be more "task" lighting.
  • michee627
    11 years ago
    oh - @Megan... and on the mirror - I have seen a bunch of inspirational pics where the mirror is one of those with "knobs" in the center on the left and right to allow them to be in front of tile trim! Those would look great. If you don't know what I mean, let me know and I'll hunt down a pic for you. I had the same question for mine.
    @ silferscreenstar: I'm assuming you were actually directing the question at the original poster Megan, and I think someone said way up above how large it was but I'm assuming from the pic that it is much less than 60". Megan?
  • Megan Vetter
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    36'X54" vanity, slightly wider when the countertop is set. Ive seen the pivoting/tilting mirrors, they are lovely! and definitely on the design board.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    I think you mean a tilting mirror michee? I was going to suggest that. It's ability to tilt will overcome the difference of depth behind it. There are many and it can be without hinges showing or can have many choices of hinges to match the accessories of the bathroom.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    michee, sconces on a bathroom mirror wall are usually put at 5'6" height (the junction box is).
  • michee627
    11 years ago
    Would you use the same rule for pendants?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Sorry, michee! I have to work at times. - pendants where, depends where you are hanging them.
  • Momof5x
    11 years ago
    I live the second one, gives a classic look.
  • michee627
    11 years ago
    60" cab with center sink. Butterfly wing then oval then butterfly wing mirror. Pendants (4) to left and right and between mirrors. Not in front of mirrors.
  • silverscreenstar
    11 years ago
    Michee627:
    Think 60 inch vanity may be too short for 4 pendant lights. Would feel more comfortable about that choice if you had said the vanity was 7 feet long, or even longer.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    michee, you cannot hang 3 mirrors over that cabinet. It's too short. It's also too short for two mirrors and three sconces. You have only two choices: get a LARGE ROUND mirror (to maximize mirror space) and two sconces, or a large rectangular mirror and two sconces. If you get a really large, rectangular one (nicely framed, mind you) then you could hang 2 pendants in front of the outer edges of the mirror. Yes, the pendants should also be hanging at 5'6".
  • michee627
    11 years ago
    so it isn't really three mirrors... in the way you are thinking. The 60" vanity in the bathroom is for my kids. The sink is in the center. I'm going to put a narrow oval mirror (~20"w) between the wings (which are a total of 32"W) in the pic and over the sink. the wings will be to the left and right so that as they get older (much) they can do their hair and makeup or whatever to the sides of the sink instead of running into each other... hence the pendant issue. I don't want the girls to have only half their faces lit and I thought it might be weird to hang one in front of the center mirror.... With the way I have the mirror, sconces aren't really an option.
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Michee, that is really a lovely idea, however I think the wings should be saved for the bedroom over a dresser. The wings would be very difficult to use for applying makeup as they are distracting and will distort the face. The girls need the widest mirror you can do here as they will need it as they get older. To apply makeup or see the face evenly, light needs to come from each side equally. In this case perhaps a full width mirror with two sconces installed on the mirror itself will serve best. Find the prettiest sconces you can, frame the mirror out and save the wings for their room. It'll save you from teenage angst in the long run!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes, it is a lovely idea, but I do agree with Susan.
  • michee627
    11 years ago
    if I were to design it today for the 2&4 year old... who are not yet allowed to wear makeup ... I wonder what I would have to re-do later when I'm sick of the kid look anyway? Probably the lighting huh... I was really trying for a room that would be a cute kids room but that I could age up easily. You have given me lots to think about - thank you!
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    11 years ago
    Michee, you can put a cute, fun curtain up, art they will enjoy, pretty towels, cute little bath rugs and a stool in their favourite colour. As the girls age you can make the changes necessary to suit their emerging style.