daknits

Pool design: Would you have a raised spa or flush spa?

R S
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

The pool is 39.5 ft long, and due to set backs because of easements and code restrictions, it is pretty narrow, at 12ft wide.

I thought that I wanted to have a raised spa area so that I could have a waterfall coming from the under the lip of the raised spa into the beach/sun tanning area, the pretty mosaic tile would show, and there would be additional ledges to sit on. However, I know it's not as modern or sleek looking. What would you do? Have a raised spa or one that's flush with the pool?

Comments (17)

• printesa
    7 years ago

I've seen it both ways..it depends on what you like and what you can accommodate..

Infinity Edge, Negative Edge, Vanishing Edge and Rimless Pools · More Info

Inground Pool & Spa · More Info

R S thanked printesa
  • joelegnater
    7 years ago

It would be easier to say what would work better if your yard was photographed with a linear layout of the pool. Both will be beautiful if you use the design in the photos!!!

R S thanked joelegnater
  • joelegnater
    7 years ago

I opted for no spa and used a solar heater for the pool instead with spa jets on the side of the pool

Planter · More Info

R S thanked joelegnater
  • smit2380
    7 years ago

Do you plan on covering the pool during the winter? If so, do you plan on leaving the spa open?

R S thanked smit2380
  • R S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    We live in Miami, Fl so the pool is open all year long. Thanks for the comments, I don't want to make a costly mistake and it's hard to know what looks best.
  • Bailey R
    7 years ago

I had a raised because I wanted a waterfall effect from spa to pool.

R S thanked Bailey R
  • acm
    7 years ago

I think the raised looks nice. Don't really see a "costly mistake" here, just two different ways to get a nice pool. Waterfall sounds neat.

R S thanked acm
  • R S
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks all! It's only a costly mistake if I don't end up liking what I chose -- been there done that, lol. I think I like the waterfall effect more than I like the sleeker design of an all flush pool, I just didn't want to choose a design that was "dated" or not modern -- the pool company says that almost everyone doing a modern pool is choosing a flush spa, which makes me doubt myself.
  • Maureen
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

If it were me, I would go with the flush spa and add the waterfall on the side so you can better enjoy from the house and patio . I would also forgo the sunning area to achieve more balance but also lounging being surrounded by water, its reflection can be very intense from a health and cancer perspective. I know that sounds depressing, but skin cancer is a big part of a few of my friends and relatives' lives and thought I would mention.

R S thanked Maureen
  • teamaltese
    7 years ago
    Great design!
    R S thanked teamaltese
  • retiredred2
    7 years ago

I enjoyed mine at one level as we often went from pool to spa without having to get out. All a matter or preference.

• PRO
    Designer Drains
    7 years ago

Personally, Raised is always more of an attention getter. If you want to go with sleek, something flushed should be up your alley.

• timglidden
    6 years ago

curious what you ended up doing....we are also in south florida and trying to decide the same thing.....

• auntthelma
    6 years ago

I like waterfalls. So I vote for waterfall. And I love the lounging beach. In fact, I could go with just the lounging beach and the hot tub. And, of course, a waterfall.

• Arngard DuPuis
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Beautiful concept design! I currently have a 15 x 43 rectangular with an in ground circular spa attached to the end. I have little deck space at the spa end of my pool. Looking to Remove the spa and place in the main pool to acquire more deck space. And possibly have an in pool Sun deck on pool as well.

You think will all fit?? Thoughts anybody!! Pool is 10 1/2ft deep and has a sitting bench at far end. 30years old.

• Arngard DuPuis
    5 years ago

Another photo from deep end of pool looking towards elevated putting green, BBQ area.

Seriously need an upgraded pool. Any advice would be Great!