tangyuar

Galley kitchen remodel, knock down wall, refinish cabinets

YM H
7 years ago

Hello. We are remodeling our kitchen and plan to knock down the wall behind the stove/fridge to the dining room. We would like to keep the cabinets (for cost reasons - everything I read says cabinets are 30% of a kitchen remodel cost) but not quite sure how they will look painted (we are also not sure what they are but know they are solid wood) and are also not sure if the long row of cabinets next to the sink and dish washer can be split up. We are also not quite sure where the fridge should be position once the wall is knocked down. Anyone done this type or remodel before and have any suggestions?

Comments (7)

• YM H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also forgot to mention - the wall is not load bearing. Also, any estimates on cost would be appreciated. We are having contractors come in for bids soon but want to get an initial idea. Thank you!

• PRO
    Solar Texas
    7 years ago

You have very complicated questions that depend heavily on being able to look at the kitchen in more detail. Are you sure that wall is not load bearing? The difference in cost for renovation is substantial. Open the doors on the row of cabinets beneath the sink and look at the edges of the case frame. If the cabinets were installed as two or three units, there'll be screws in the edge of the case frame holding the cabinets together. If not, then chances are it was one piece.

• YM H
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Great, thanks we will look for that. And we are positive it's not load bearing. (The perpendicular wall is the load bearing one)
  • YM H
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I'm glad it worked! Do you have a photo you could share? :)
  • PRO
    Home Design Consulting
    7 years ago

I think that opening up the wall would be a great idea especially if it is not load bearing. However you will have a back door, the adjacent small window and the larger window located on the same wall. This limits flexibility of space on that wall. I would suggest closing the small window next to the door since you will have much more light with the wall gone. As for placement of your existing cabinets and appliances I would need to see how much space you have on the opposite wall that is not shown in your pictures.

Thanks,

Home Design Consulting

• sandyandconnigardner
    7 years ago
    YM H, we moved a few years ago and built a house. I don't have pictures of the kitchen we renovated, but I loved it. We used BM Cotton Balls on the cabinets, St. Cecelia granite, white subway tile backsplash, hardwood floor to match the 1963 red oak floors in the rest of the house and painted the kitchen walls BM Timothy Straw. I loved that kitchen; my morning coffee doesn't taste nearly as good in our newly built home!