vorrath

"Chair #2" Complete prototype

My "Chair#2" prototype is complete! More pictures and details on my Houzz page!

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Vorrath Woodworks
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thanks so much! Yea, I agree, all those styles are represented here. I gravitate toward mid century with almost all my pieces.
  • Bev
    7 years ago

Beautiful craftsmanship! I love handmade wooden pieces!

Vorrath Woodworks thanked Bev
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 years ago

Beautiful work !

Vorrath Woodworks thanked Studio NOO Design
  • PRO
    TBS Construction Inc.
    7 years ago

Beautiful work!

Vorrath Woodworks thanked TBS Construction Inc.
  • PRO
    Huston & Company
    7 years ago

Gorgeous! Nicely done!

Vorrath Woodworks thanked Huston & Company
  • PRO
    Studio S Squared Architecture, Inc.
    7 years ago

Wow, looks great. I really appreciate the base!

• PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    7 years ago

Excellent work!

• PRO
    AFR Construction
    7 years ago

I love what people are able to do with laminated wood sheets. Great design and love the over-all look of the chair!

Vorrath Woodworks thanked AFR Construction
  • PRO
    Liv Companies LLC Design + Build
    7 years ago
    This is quite nice, beautiful work!
    One small critique on picture number 3, I was wondering if the connection to the back could have the same elegance as the base? I love those corner details on the base/legs, put the post & beam detail on the back kind of loses it for me. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Vorrath Woodworks
    Original Author
    7 years ago

An interesting critique! I actually had bridal joint planned for that, but bridal joints are very time consuming, especially being that that one would have a tenon that was on a bevel. I may do it for the next prototype, just as an example of an optional upgrade, but for this piece I'm really working on streamlining the work so that the piece is most affordable.

• Ben Hart
    7 years ago

Excellent craftsmanship! Very impressive.

The side profile is very appealing. Something about the front view is not quite as appealing. Perhaps the seatback supports are a bit too heavy looking... you could keep the side width and make the front profile more narrow. What do you think? And perhaps you could ever so slightly splay the front legs? Also, I'm a big fan of hidden fasteners... could you hide the fasteners securing the seat?

• PRO
    Vorrath Woodworks
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Splaying the legs is something I'm working out. I also plan on making the leg stock wider to match the dimensions of the risers holding the crest rail, so there will be more symmetry there. The seat and stance will widen about 1.5" -2" too.
  • PRO
    Vorrath Woodworks
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Oh, and as far as the fastening of the seat to the frame: yes, I could use hidden fasteners I.e. Dowels, but then I wouldn't have wedged through dowels to show off ;-)
  • Ben Hart
    7 years ago

I think your proposed changes will make for a very handsome chair! I love the wedged dowel... looks great!

Vorrath Woodworks thanked Ben Hart