et_ak

Concrete look tiles or timber floorboards for renovation-Queenslander?

Kate P
8 years ago

Hi,

I'm raising my old Queenslander and building underneath, I can't decide what flooring to have! Upstairs which is the current house is stained timber boards from the 40's, I'll sand and re-stain, stairs also timber tread.

I originally wanted polished concrete but pretty expensive, so I've found these amazing tiles in 800x800:

Downtown ash lappato grey tiles 800 x 800 | Landsdale House | Pinterest | Grey T · More Info

But should I go traditional and put floorboards everywhere? These 2 images are my either/or:

1. Tiles with shaker kitchen and wood accents:

House tour · More Info

2. timber with shaker kitchen and a navy/black island:

Classic Kitchen | The Kitchen Place | Melbourne, Australia | Kitchens | Pinteres · More Info

My other consideration is that the first floor flows into the laundry and powder room which the tiles could all go in and not have a join, timber in the living areas would mean tile in powder and laundry which is a join.

So, timber or tiles?

Comments (19)

• bigreader
    8 years ago
    Great example pictures. I normally vote wood but in this case I'd go tile. It's a great looking choice, cool in Queensland and I like that you could have throughout the whole level.
  • Karen Williams
    8 years ago
    I've just done my whole house in this tile except the bedrooms. It looks fabulous.
  • PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    8 years ago

Yes, I'm with big reader. Love timber floors but tile is a better choice in your case. I also presume you're using a concrete slab so tiling is much easier and cheaper.

Polished concrete looks great so do a comparison cost beforehand as tiling does add up with costs of tiler and their associated adhesives, grouts and floor levelling substrate. Then purchase of tile on top. Your tile choice does look great by the way!!

• PRO
    Civic Steel Homes
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

There is an inbetween option we have found gaining a lot of popularity. The look and warmth of timber plus the convenience of tiles. These timber print porcelain tiles come in many colour choices and even with varying texture finishes.

CHUWAR · More Info

Sinnamon park · More Info

• PRO
    Civic Steel Homes
    8 years ago

With that said we love the concrete lookalike tiles now available!

Small lot Brisbane · More Info

• Kate P
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks everyone! I'm going to get a quote or two for polished concrete first, and if that's prohibitive I'll look at the tiles.
  • Bec
    8 years ago
    I've had timber and tiles. I loved our timber floors - looked beautiful but actually drove me crazy keeping them looking great. I have tiles now all thru this house except bedrooms - love them - and they are white
  • Bec
    8 years ago
    Whoops - and I meant to add really easy to maintain and keep clean.
  • mikijado
    8 years ago
    Kate, I love these tiles. Could you please tell me their name and the company you found them at? Thank you
  • Kate P
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi,

They're called Downtown Ash Lappato (there are also other colours like Earth), I'm in Brisbane and here they are at Groove Tiles and Stone in the Valley, but you should be able to find a local supplier.

http://www.groovetiles.com.au/floors/downtown-collection/

• mikijado
    8 years ago
    Thank you so much Kate
  • Kate P
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Back again, what about a wooden floor in a herringbone?

Like this but not quite so dark:

Pasco St, Williamstown · More Info

• Susie Fox
    7 years ago
    We've just had our Queenslander raised and went with tiles downstairs and existing timber up. Tiles are pretty similar to yours. We have 2 dogs and a 4 year old so it was a no brainer for us, hard wearing and easy to clean were the priorities
  • Tilly
    7 years ago
    I'm building a mid century house, using the same concrete tile upstairs with timber accents.
    Downstairs timber look tiles all from tiles expo.
    Bit of a personal choice really.
  • Creativelychallenged
    6 years ago

Yes, it does come down to personal taste, but the overall look of your initial kitchen that has the concrete look tiles is beautiful. It would appeal to a wider audience too I think than the navy blue. If you concrete look tiles looked like those in the picture it would look great (as compared to a more matt look concrete tile which may not look as good).

I say no to the herringbone look timber in your whole place downstairs. It will probably cost more to lay and I think it adds complexity that you don't need in a home as beautiful as an old queenslander. If you do decide on timber, I would stick with it being just straight planks. (Herringbone is flavour of the month now and I love it for tiles, but it makes a very big statement that not appeal to everyone if you are putting it in a much bigger area like kitchen etc). Good luck.

• Creativelychallenged
    6 years ago

PS. All of the picture that you have put up are beautiful, so don't be scared to choose anyone of them, particularly if you have a personal leaning to one particular style of look.

• Creativelychallenged
    6 years ago

Kate P, I have been to Groove tiles in Brisbane...I got to the speak to the woman that works there (I think she mainly deals with the commercial projects or big scale projects), but she has an interest in design...she is renovating an old Queenslander also and appears to be both creative and knowledgable in what is keeping with particular eras of houses or not....if you managed to grab her attention one day, you could ask her opinion re what look/tile is best.

• PRO
    Urban Curtains + Blinds
    6 years ago

Typically I'd vote wood as its traditional and looks great. However I think the tile looks amazing and teamed with wood will give a nice warmth with hints of tradition. Then there's always the social aspect... I and my friends love to wear heels and love to though a dinner party or two. However I also love to keep my home looking perfect. High heels and wood floors are not a great mix. You cant go past the durability of a good quality tile.