maribeth58

Older Cherry Cabinets and new countertops

maribeth gamble
8 years ago

Hi, we are looking to update our kitchen countertops, hardware, flooring and lighting. The cabinets are medium cherry cabinets--probably dated but we aren't going to replace them. We were looking at quartz countertops (seem too manufactured for our taste) and granite (we love the sense of flow in granite). But we are very confused about what color/tone to look for that will coordinate with the orangey cabinets. I have switched a few of the canned lights to daylight bulbs to brighten the room, but they might be too bright (wash out colors). There is only one window, but it only brightens one section of the kitchen when the sun comes in and leaves the rest of the room even darker. I think I need to stay away from dark countertops. What do you think?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

I would suggest a light granite to go with your traditional cherry cabinets...something with lots of movement and creamy background...try to find a piece with some black in it.....small swirls or specks.....black would be a good accent to bring to to your space to give it a more updated look.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    8 years ago

This is a great example of what you could do...if you have and island paint it black and add light granite counter top...love the black counter for surrounding cabinets...amazing what this will create and really update your kitchen. Usually you can get the black much cheaper and will really save some money so you can pick a gorgeous island piece that might be a little more pricey because of the demand for light granite. Good Luck

• PRO
    Gina Lauren Interiors
    8 years ago

I agree with the the above. Definitely go for white or cream-y colored countertops with some black and or grey in it. Black would also be a great accent color and go for brushed nickel or stainless steel hardware to give your kitchen a modern feel. Also, you can repeat the white of the countertop by doing white subway tiles as the backsplash. Good luck on your project.