59classic

water level in pond

59classic
8 years ago

Me again. Here is a picture of the pond as of this minute. The pond is big probably 10 to 11 feet long and 6 wide. It has a waterfall made of rocks. It has a lot of rocks in the bottom and along the edge. Way too many I am thinking. There are so many rocks in the pond that the depth is at the very middle maybe 18 inches to 2 feet. When the waterfall is running the water splashes down the rocks.

This isnt my pond, I inherited it and I do like it. I'm not sure what vision the previous owner had for this pond, maybe she wanted a mountain waterfall/stream sort of thing? And I am wanting more of a pond. It seems a huge investment of my yard to just have a bunch of wet rocks. I started reading on other sites about water loss and people comment about losing a couple of inches a week. I am losing at least that a day. I just shut off the waterfall to see what happens.

We live in the southern Black Hills, which is a semi-arid environment. We had a lot of rain this June but not a lot since. I read that rocks can even do wicking of water. And of course the air is dry and the pond is in full sun. Is it possible that between the dry air, the sun, the waterfall and the rocks that I could be losing that much water?

Comments (5)

Sponsored