katieca

Lava rock fireplace makeover

katieca
11 years ago
What should I do? Our new to us home that was built in the late 60s has a lava rock style fireplace in our living room. I am thinking about painting it white but am hesitant because if I do that, it can never be reversed. Am I crazy to think that the lava look will ever be back in style? Should I try to preserve the era that the home was built in or go for it?!

Comments (66)

• Madi Jones
    9 years ago
    We are buying a house built in the 70's. We kinda like the rustic look but want to modernize and freshen it up a little. I like the pic with the TV inlet in the fireplace. I would love to know how that was done.
  • Lisa De La Torre
    9 years ago
    @suegee yes people don't have the real lava rock. It is not easy to tear out and ours takes up about 17 feet wide of wall space! Quite an eye sore. I'm torn between trying to find a stain or removing it or framing over it. Anyone and everyone please share your thoughts and ideas!
  • PRO
    Nina Williams Designs
    9 years ago
    Keep it ! Make your house work with it. Its so fantastic and hard to come by. Its mid-century modern cool. T\Start by taking those old doors off, have a new screen made. +++ furnishings, window treatments, lighting, millwork, etc....
  • Lori
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    I'm also still sitting on the fence. This is an old picture, I have added a tapestry and some other stuff. I really am thinking of just adding a mantle.
  • partim
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    We took ours out, and reused the rock to build a rustic unmortared rock wall in the back yard. A big improvement to both back yard and family room. You will never regret removing it.

They are by no means unique. Every house in our subdivision has one, and I've seen lots of them with the rooms decorated in various ways. And every room would look better without it, in my opinion.
  • Jana Pace
    8 years ago

Redoing my parents house. They had an original rock fireplace almost identical to the first shown in this post. Real rock not faux. We were going to remove it and then have something else put up, but it was NOT coming off. We decided to have our trusty mason "cover" it with used brick ( which matches the brick work that has been done to exterior of house in the past) My husband also decided that it should be centered between two french doors, thus making the new fireplace gigantic, errr huge. It came out nice. Our mason does excellent work. It came out so well, we had him cover the other fireplace ( which was smaller thank goodness).

• Rebecca DeFrang
    8 years ago

I have a lava rock fireplace, too. What did you end up doing? Do you have any pics?

• Kivi
    8 years ago
    Looks like the OP never really followed up on the thread....
  • lfherbert
    7 years ago
    Keep your lava rock fireplaces! You will be sorry you did not keep this interesting part of 60s and 70s history. It makes a house very cool...
  • Debbie Kenyon-Galbraith
    7 years ago

We have a house with lava rock fireplace. It makes the small living area darker. I am so tempted to paint it a lighter color and would be interested in seeing any pix of what that may look like....

• partim
    7 years ago

Swallow Drive · More Info

Cord Shiflet Churchill Downs Estate · More Info

KitchenLab · More Info

• HU-414323
    7 years ago

lfherbert Because of your photo I might come to like the fp we have.

• lfherbert
    7 years ago
    Pretty amazing lava rock fireplace. Imagine taking this one out...hard work!
  • HU-414323
    7 years ago

lfherbert I like your photos. We're considering purchasing this home and I have not liked the fp at first sight, but MANY things need changing and perhaps the fp will be more likable then.

• christopher hart
    6 years ago
    I have same thing in my house I just bought. And I don’t like it at all. Most likely go with ripping it out. But I did end up staining the mantle expresso. In hopes of changing my mine haha
  • jvermett
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

i sprayed-on a super watered-down white paint to give mine a whitewash look, but I'm still not satisfied. Our rock is super textured. I'm thinking about filling in more of the spaces with grout or plaster.

Anyone tried that?

• PRO
    Nina Williams Designs
    5 years ago

Keep the Lava rock and work with it! Above, Nina Williams Designs-Solana Beach CA.,

all new Flooring, custom Millwork, Doors & Windows, Cabinetry, Fire-screen, Lighting, Furnishings. The only thing original is the Lava Rock Fireplace

Brought this mid-century classic up to date!

• Alexandra Hurst
    5 years ago

As the owner of a white lava rock fireplace, DONT PAINT IT. IT LOOKS HORRIBLE

• Smalley
    5 years ago

What type of paint did you use? Color? Sheen? How did you put it on? Paint sprayer? Brush or roller? How many coats? So many questions. :-)

• DJL
    4 years ago

we have one of these huge monstrosities in our small Livingroom as well! I would like to take a sludge hammer to it but the hubby won't let me!!! UGH!!!!

• D B
    3 years ago

I actually quite love ours. Trying to decide what to do with it in the remodel. Part of me wants to keep it as Is In a modern Polynesian look.

• pat1250
    3 years ago

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

How does one tell if it is real rock or fake rock? They all look the same to me. My house is 1959 and I don’t love it but if it is real I feel I should keep it but if fake I would eliminate it.

• partim
    3 years ago

Post some photos, close up and far away, including any photos of an edge so we can see 2 sides of the stone.

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

I can post some more if this isn’t enough @partim

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

I can post some more if this isn’t enough @partim

• partim
    3 years ago

Man-made.

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

@partim thank you! We are doing a full renovation and we’re wanting to maintain for character but not it fake!

• Susan Davis
    3 years ago

Our Black Lave Rock wall. 11 x 8 feet with yellow sandstone staggered mantels.......you had to see it. We could not remove it as it was mortared and built into the fireplace/chimney. So we framed a new wall over it and installed a traditional mantel. Love it!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

I would leave it has is but you could always lighten your beams and use warmer lighting the lighting on it to little harsh can always lighten your walls if you want but I think it looks good but you could paint that red area I don't know what that red area is painted to match the lava rocks Cause there gonna be instyle I think there pretty

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

@happyleg the beams are going to be white, the red is brick behind the stone where a speaker used to be. The house is going to be completely gutted and modernized but we were going to keep the rock for character but it bothers me if it’s fake

• happyleg
    3 years ago

I ran across this and thought I send it to you the fireplace looks like yours and it's white washed notI ran across this and thought I send it to you the fireplace looks like yours and it's white washed not white paint but white washed The colour of the brick sort of shows through that's the effects

• partim
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Rock fireplaces look good when they're made from round-ish pieces of rock stacked one on top of the other. The rocks sit on the rocks below them.

Fireplaces don't look good when thin slices of rock are randomly cemented onto a mortar wall around the fire box. There are big pieces cemented above little pieces that could never support them if they were big rocks. It's so obvious that it's a veneer.

No amount of painting or whitewashing will change that. If someone is on a tight budget and painting or whitewashing is the only available remedy, it's definitely an improvement. But for a bigger reno I would remove a lava rock veneer fireplace.

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

@partim Update - the rock was removed it was cement with little pieces of rock, it is now just a brick fireplace better already. Thanks for informing me of this rock imposter!

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Pic please. thanks.

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

We are probably going to Venetian plaster it and keep it at this thinner side. The fake rock went 3 feet additional per side

• partim
    3 years ago

Just curious, was it hard to get off? Power hammer I guess?

You have a nice clean slate to work with now.

• Evan Man
    3 years ago

@partim the contractor did it but I was told it wasn’t too hard to remove

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Show us when it's done!

• Naomi Frankovich
    3 years ago

We're in escrow on a 1980's house with massive volcanic rock. We're planning on removing the rock and replacing it with brick, possibly a brick veneer. Not sure what the designer was thinking when placing the mammoth of a fireplace smack dab in the middle of the house, but we really hate it. The walking space between the right side of the fireplace and the front door is very narrow. We're hoping to be able to downsize the massiveness of the fireplace and make it a better size for the space minus the volcanic rock. Our 9 year old daughter says it looks like an assortment of meats lol.

• Rebecca Marshall
    2 years ago

Oh wow, I thought I was the only one with one of these monstrosities 😂

• felizlady
    2 years ago

I doubt that raw lava rock fireplaces will ever make a comeback. They were only popular for five minutes back then. You could consider painting it, but it will still retain the current lava rock shapes.
    I assume the rocks were set into concrete, so removing them would be difficult and the concrete would have to come out as well. Maybe other Houzzers will post photos of their lava rock fireplace fixes to give you (and many others) some visuals on what they did.

• Angelina DeJesus
    last year

I have a 13’ wide fireplace. I am thinking about framing over it but I’m concerned about properly covering the area around the opening. I have some pieces that jut out so I’m not sure German schmear would like right on this giant lumpy fireplace. Removing the stone is probably more than I can afford. I’m struggling on how to proceed. :(

• Angelina DeJesus
    last year

Fyi the paneling and carpet have been removed. The house is currently being renovated/updated

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year
    last modified: last year

Start your own post for ideas. You have a REAL stone fireplace that is quite nice surrounded by terrible materials. Not sure you will be able to remove this. It likely not a veneer.

It could be this nice if it were cleaned up

If you still don't like it you can always create a lumpy plaster wall by going over it.

• Kay P
    last year

Remove the rock and start over

• tozmo1
    last year

The rock is fantastic. Anyone can have a wall but not every home can have an interesting fireplace wall. Hard to tell the color of the grout, but if you want to change it, you can stain it with concrete stain.

• RedRyder
    last year

Agree that biting the bullet (and removing the whole thing) will ultimately make you happier. But if you start your own post, you will get more people responding.

• Angelina DeJesus
    last year

Thank you all. I’ll start my own post. First time user :)

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

I know.. I'm not on your own thread. Can next owner remove your wood framing and plaster or tiles? If you take photos, can "document" the original fp. Rural area?