t834

Wanted! Cozy room

t834
11 years ago
Hello. I Need help organizing this room. The fireplace is in the corner and the room has one window. Also need help with paint color. Thank you

Comments (52)

• Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    If you are keeping your furniture, then the arrangement you have works. Although I might rethink the recliner as it seems a bit big for the space. I would take out the bookshelf and rocking chair as well.

It looks like you have a lot of art. With the book case gone, you'll have space on the sofa wall for a nice arrangement. The chaise could come out from the window a bit to allow the curtains to hang nicely. You might want to mount them closer to the moulding to give some height to the room. Of course longer panels may be necessary for that.

I think a very light (barely there) and warm taupe would work well with the carpet and chaise. You can even look into a slip cover for your sofa to freshen the room

If you're open to different furnishings. We'll have all sorts of options for you!
  • tob123
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Too many set places for this small room.I would rid of a big sofa and recliner and place lounge instead. Chair and accent table at the window.Wall color is some kind of purple or neutral.
  • Related Discussions

Help with decor in a cozy little room in Bandra

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Shivani, Presuming you are fond of a very ethnic look, here are a few concepts that may help you. You seem to have a terrace like entrance to your drawing room. Liven it up with planters, sculptures etc. You may even shift the jug outside as a part of the landscape. Maybe couple it with a small water body and a few planters and Moroccan lanterns. Bright colours in the form of rugs, cushions and throws liven up a room. You can also play with the colours of the wall. The idea is to keep it clean and simple but fresh. Opting for pastel colours like teal, cream, jade etc. helps. Offset this with bright paintings and artwork. These have been elaborated below: For the lobby go for a rich wallpaper or a wall mural with an antique mirror over the existing wooden ledge and a cluster of family photographs to make the space interesting. Hope the above ideas inspire you. Do let us know if you liked any of the concepts. All the best! Regards RnD Atelier, Nagpur
    ...See More

I want to work on my living room and dining room

Q

Comments (1)
    location?
    ...See More

I want to create a student girl , kids , study and playing room

Q

Comments (0)
    This would be some purple ,pink , white Please give me all instructions how should I start
    ...See More

I want to give modern look to my drawing room

Q

Comments (6)
    Hi Shubha,  It seems like you have a lot to display on the wall. Firstly, you may need to correct the height of the TV on the wall(it should be lower ergonomically feasible for viewing)  You can combine wall storage units with some open display. Sharing some references. For more visit my Houzz profile
    ...See More
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    I was just thinking, you could get a large sisal area rug to neutralize a bit of the maroon carpet. It would show as a border that you could pick up with throw pillows. Here's a rough sketch of the effect:
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Your sofas look Monstrous , go for a lighter shades , something like this Inspirational Picture, this will be Great .
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Everything Darzy said, and paint the walls beige or khaki. Don't know if I spelled that right.
  • fife2
    11 years ago
    Hi t834 - sometimes we cannot lose our furniture - have you considered perhaps using a slip-covers - they are so much nicer now - and what I can see is that a lot of your colors are in conflict? Yes - I like the idea of a large, bound berber/sizal rug - to help bring all the pieces together in a UNIFIED space? Will help the eye find a place to rest.

The other idea I am thinking is can you paint that celing trim just plain old white? This will also help unify your space without so many different levels being accented - very confusing to the eye. I am pretty sure you LOVE your chair - have you ever considred - find a sale - and perhaps purchasing a NEW upgraded recliner - in a more neutral fabric - from a Lazy Boy Center - something NOT so overstuffed - with a more architectural line to it? While COZY is nice - it does not require overstuffed and oversized furniture. Rather simpler and more noticeable - which bring a room together - for a cohesive restful place.

Please let us know. :-)
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    Benjamin Moore's Hush with its red undertone might work for your room.
    POPLAR RUN-CENTENIAL · More Info
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    Manon you made that on sproost ? its nice .
  • stevedars
    11 years ago
    Some good comments given by others here. Whatever colors you like and want to use just remember this: Most of the inspiration on Houzz is successful because they use a LIMITED COLOR PALLETE. A good rule of thumb is 3 colors. Two muted supporting colors and one strong dominant color (used sparingly).

I would consider that green to be dominant and used waaaaay too much. Also remember that light colors make a space feel bigger, so if you want the walls to stop coming in on you choose a color that is off-white.

One other caution I would give: This room is meant to be lived in, not looked at. So make sure you find a good balance of aesthetic / functionality. I doubt you will convince the husband to ditch the ugly (yet comfy) lazboy for a modern smaller solution.
  • PRO
    Cozy Casita
    11 years ago
    I love that crazy Apple Green .. and would use a lighter hue on the ceiling .. After that, I'm with Darzy all the way .... Can't think of a quicker, cheaper or more effective way to get the 'cozy' look your wanting. Please, no beige ... it's going (hopefully) the same way as soulless kitchens, with their (too predictable) "new granite countertops and all stainless steel appliances" ... as we move toward more self-expression (I predict) and away from "one size fits all. Beige, and off-white are not the only colours we can use as 'neutrals' and I think it's it's a misconception that they make a space feel 'larger' .... 'blander' would be a better description, for me, at least.

'Cozy' is less about "opening a space up" and more about fitting all your favourite goodies into a space, without it feeling cluttered and without impeding your ability to reach the things you want. The most important element of the 'cozy' plan, is the spacing between the objects (and the furniture) you have in the room and the ease with which you you can both see them and get to, from and between them.

I love the chaise you have and, if the room is wide enough, would be tempted to put it across the room, where you have the chair at the moment, and put the chair, at a slight angle, in front of the window .. with the table to the left of it. The back of the chaise is nice and low, so this would open up the room nicely, without depriving you of seating.

(I think I'd also lose the rocker and, assuming the chaise worked in it's new position, have the wooden coffee table in front of it, rather than the sofa.)
  • silverlady8
    11 years ago
    I would paint the trim a soft white and the walls a neutral color....khaki or a variation there of...you could angle the couch to be straight in front of the fireplace.....not too close but not blocking anything...put recliner on one side and the other rocker on the other side...right angles to fireplace. A neutral sisal rug in front of sofa and a neutral color slipcover for the couch...accent pillows. I think alot of people have already suggested this....Good luck....post new pic when you are done.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    I think maybe you should move the chaise a little further to the left and move the curio to another wall. Place the floor lamp in the corner at the head of the chaise in the corner where cabinet was. Kind of a little reading spot. You can also hang one of your framed pieces on that wall. Or maybe 2 stacked on top of each other if there's room.
    Slipcover for couch as others have said. Move the tall ceramic vase on the coffee table somewhere else. It looks out of place there. I would also move the tv above the fireplace and use the mirror or picture (?) elsewhere. Fatter lamp bases for the end tables and 2 of the same kind....not different styles everywhere.
    I like what several others said about taupe colors for the walls and lighter trim. The white door really does stand out and is distracting.
    I might try moving the bookcase where the tv is now and the curio cabinet over to the wall where the bookcase is now? It's hard to guess unless you're in the room, but I would rearrange some things first and try it out to see if the room flows better.
  • PRO
    KHI Designs
    11 years ago
    There are 2 salient points to ponder in this space:

1. Color palette - calm it down. I agree with all the posts on neutralizing the palette. The thing that will make a small space look smaller is contrast. There is way too much sharp contrasting color here that is dominating the space and shrinking it down visually. No doilies - they vie for focus.

2. Focal point - When you have an angular focal point, the room is begging for an angular arrangement. I would move the TV over the fireplace and use the painting where the TV is now. Put your room and furniture on graph paper - see how/if an angular arrangement will work size-wise.

Is the white door an entry door from the outside? If so, fake a little foyer feel. With an angular arrangement you may be able to use a sofa table behind a furniture piece to double as a foyer table.

The white chaise is grand but don't use a lamp at the foot end. With an angular arrangement you can position the lamp at the head of the chaise (where you need the light). Access how it looks from the outside thru the window also. This is a wonderful large window but it must read well from the outside too.

Without measurements it is difficult to tell whether there is too much furniture or if the furniture is too large for the room, which is why I suggest laying it out on paper first. Save your back!

Neutralizing will help a lot!

Great project! Cute room!
  • barbless
    11 years ago
    Hi 1834, what do you use this room for? It is a lovely space and full of potential. Is this where you and/or your family watch TV? Do you require a table next to the sofa and the chair for practical uses? Are the paintings I see stacked around the room and the big one above the fireplace ones that you want to hang in this room? How many people generally use the room at the same time? Does the fireplace work, if it does, do you regularly have a fire? Do you have a budget for making any changes to the room? Where are you standing when you took the picture of the room? Do you use the door to come into this room or do you normally come in through this other room? I see crocheted afghans-do you crochet and do you like to crochet in this room? Do you like having the little decorative items scattered about the room and on the coffee table? Which pieces of furniture are essential to keep? What kind of floor is under the carpeting?
  • Pat Wolfe
    11 years ago
    I'd get rid of the green walls. Seems like it is a bit to crowded for such a small space. You want cozy, but not over crowded Get rid of the chaise & put a love seat there instead. If the couch is really comfy, I'd recover it in a solid color with matching decorative small pillows. Use your accent wall where the fireplace is & it will be the focal point of the room. Put a good sized mirror over the couch to make room appear a bit larger. I agree with whoever mentioned about putting the TV over the fireplace & put pictures in a nice grouping on that wall.. Maybe get rid of the coffee table too. If you aren't using the curio cabinet get rid of it too and place recliner in that corner at an angle. take out the small table with lamp & place floor lamp to left of recliner. That way it will light the area for recliner as well as love seat. If you need the rocker for extra seating move it to other end of couch where the lamp is. Is that a floor lamp at end of couch or is it connected to the wall? What is that above the bookcase . . .looks like a sq. cubby hole. You might be able to put the plant there that is now on top of curio cabinet. Can hardly wait to see what you will do with this room. Oh, as far as the color of the room, it needs to be a warm color, not green, and the accent wall in same color palette, only a bit darker. Crown moulding might be good at top of wall next to ceiling. Have fun!
  • katydidit
    11 years ago
    Lots of stuff showing in the room like crotched lovely piece on back of recliner, books, etc. Get some cube/trunks for end tables and coffee table, etc. Maybe even two cube/trunks for coffee table area. Put all the stuff in the right cubes. That will help the eye relax and not be bombarded by "stuff." I have this same issue. :)
  • katjarichards
    11 years ago
    Some great suggestions here! A word of caution about placing the TV over the fireplace: you see this being done all the time on the design shows. However, it's ergonomically a disaster! You'd need to sit all the way across the room to avoid holding your neck at an uncomfortable angle. I would lose 1/3 of the furniture and pull it away from the perimeter of the room. The TV could stay where it is, but move the sofa across from it. This way you can enjoy both TV and fireplace. Depending on how you'd like to use the room, consider breaking it into different areas. Lastly, keep only what you truly love and lose the rest. Less IS more :)
  • rashjeh
    11 years ago
    What would I do? Neutral or light warm-colored walls that reflect and softly disperse the sunlight coming in through the window. A solid-colored slip cover to give the old sofa a new lease of life with lots of colorful smooshy cushions with an interesting variety of textures or patterns to brighten up the room. I would also put a wooden finish of some kind on the door so it doesn't stick out and add some accessories around the room to accentuate the colors of the cushions. Have fun!
  • PRO
    Mycom
    11 years ago
    The room looks quite small for so much furniture and focal point is not anymore the chimney but its somehow lost all around. You could paint the wall behind the chimney darker warmer color (something brown/red or brown/violet if the carpet has violet tones, like this you bring attention to this corner) and put a different light color on the rest of the walls (light yellowish beige). You could paint the trim around doors and corniche a tone lighter than walls. To fix the furniture you could unblock the window and exchange the recliner for a smaller occasional chair if you need an extra sitting. The sofa and arm chair looks very comfortable but would need to change upholstery to something lighter matching the color scheme like light beige and put a decorative pillows of similar tone like the color above mantel. Now I agree that TV above mantel would be fine, it would save some space, but it would be too high to watch. If you leave the TV where it is, it interferes with door and chimney. You have no space to install it on the other side of the window? That way when you are sitting at the big sofa, you can see both the chimney on right and TV on left. The arm chair could be placed next to chimney instead to free the view when you enter the room. As for decoration, I would put some big buttery candles on the mantel, maybe a nice framed mirror above the mantel. I noticed you have many framed pictures in the room. I would hang them above the sofa next to each other in wood frames from type of wood similar to your mantel. I see you have small library furniture, but they fill the space too much, instead try to make just simple shelves bellow ceiling on the opposite 4th wall that is not visible on the picture.
  • PRO
    Mycom
    11 years ago
    here are the examples of the colors I mentioned - brown / red and light yellowish beige that complements your wood nicely. If you have a violet-ish carpet, you can use aubergine like colour as an accent one.
  • leneda
    11 years ago
    Too much furniture! Mount the TV above the fire place Or lower ON the wall where it is now. and loose the stand, DVD players or cable boxes can go in the closet. (Is that a closet?) and still work just fine with the TV. (Wires can go inside the walls) Do you need the book case? I might move the books to a closet or move the book case to another room or get a nicer looking one. I might just get rid of the couch and the coffee table altogether. Put the big chair on that wall with the round side table and move the chaise lounge on an angle where the chair is. You will be able to comforatable sit on the lounge and watch TV. Put the reading lanp behind the lounge or next to the chair. The wood rocking chair can probably stay complimenting the big chair on the large wall after you get rid of the couch.
    The burgundy carpet with the apple green walls is disturbing. Paint the walls a more neutral color or change the carpet to a neutral color that compliments the green walls.
    I don't understand all the framed pictures leaning up against the tv stand. are they hiding wires? They would be of better use displayed on a wall. get rid of the small book shelf behind the wood rocker.
    The curio cabinet -do you use it? It looks like there is nothing in it. I might leave it where it is, fill it with interesting things, or move it to another room. Sometimes they can be repurposed for a linen closet in a hall or a bedroom.
    If you get rid of the book shelf altogether, try the wood rocker in place of the TV and stand it might look cozy next to the fireplace. It can even sit under the TV if mounted on the wall.
    If you are concerned about keeping your lounge clean, use a cover when it is just you and your family at home. when company comes over remove it and put osme colorful pillows and a throw on it.
  • t834
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Oh my goodness, you guys are the best! I have taken advice from everyone, can't wait until I'm off work tomorrow to put this plan into action. Fife2, I do love the sofa. I'm putting a slip cover on the sofa. I'm looking at Silver Fox or Shaker Beige paint from Ben Moore.
  • t834
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the paint colors Mycom!
  • cocinera
    11 years ago
    here are some random thoughts:

that retro rug is wild! reminds me of my grandma's. how about cabbage rose wallpaper and white slipcovers. umm umm umm. cozy and delicious.

paired bookcases on either side of the opening to the other (dining?) room. or built-ins running up both sides and across the top--match the style of the fireplace. i did this with cabinets from home depot. classy looking and uber-useful for storage and organization in an otherwise wasted space.

replace the baker's rack in the dining room with the glass-front cabinet.

recliner to the left of the window, rocker to the right, round table between.

put in richer-looking crown molding or at least paint it white to match the ceiling.

or--choose a wall color...paint the ceiling a quarter tint of the wall color (the paint mixer uses the same tints as he used for the wall paint, but uses one-fourth as much) and a 4x tint for the trim and maybe the fireplace wall (same idea--the mixer uses the same tints as the wall color but makes them four times darker).

move the head of the fainting couch into the corner so more of the window shows.

bottom line--
    paint color doesn't work
    unharmonious furniture, eg, try to keep to similar wood finishes and coordinating fabrics
    too much furniture for the space
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Hmmm... don't like looking at the back of that HUGE chair. Does the chair have to stay? If so, need to take the crocheted stuff off of it and find a corner it can fit into.

Also take lace piece off of table and get rid of fake plants. Take vase full of sticks off coffee table.

Need new drapery. Get double panels, you need twice the width. Hang them wider, and much higher.

I think we all need rooms that are dedicated to watching tv. It is difficult to design around those big, black rectangles! Best bet is mounting it above your fireplace. Then you could float your sofa in front of fireplace.
  • cocinera
    11 years ago
    yeah, pc mom has a point
    the back of that chair is not attractive but
    it's probably the tv watching chair so it needs to stay
    so put it in the corner and put the rocker in the other corner or
    to the left of the fireplace

the truth is, the fainting couch needs to go elsewhere,
    which is too bad cuz it's a nice piece of furniture but
    it just doesn't fit!
  • PRO
    Mycom
    11 years ago
    Hi T834, good luck and post how the room looks like after make-over :-) PS: I would not recommend silver fox shade, make some 1 sqm samples in your salon when you narrow down your choice of colors before you choose the right one and paint all over, the results can surprise you!
  • Gina Leitz
    11 years ago
    I think the light yellowish beige wall color would compliment the carpet best. The carpet appears to be aubergine (purple) so a yellow shade would look awesome. Move the bookcase to the corner wall where the curio now is. I'd keep the couch where it is and the rectangular table next to it stays, but move the recliner to that side of the room on an angle. Do get a slipcover for the couch as recommended above. Place the large vase from the coffee table on the rectangular table next to the couch or you could move it on one side of the fireplace mantel instead of having match lamps there. Get rid of the skinny based lamp on the round table as it does not belong in this room. the floor lamp next to the rectangular table stays as it will provide light for reading in the recliner. The other lamp should be at the head of the chaise. One thing no one has mentioned is the draperies. They seem too casual and by changing the draperies by having something that is pinch pleated that remains stationery and is tied back would be more appealing for me. I am in agreement with Leneda add some pillows for interest and a punch of color. One last thing a nice wreath on the inside of the door. I am guessing that is your front door. If it remains closed all the time a nice floral wreath or a little charming one like the one I pictured The curtains pictured are for the design on top not the color and you need to raise the curtain a bit higher than it currently is. The pillow is an example of a neat design and I would not do all patterned pillows. I do some solids with a cute design as shown. If you have the ability to sew, the graphics fairy on pinterest has lots of cool designs to add to your own fabric.
  • victoran
    11 years ago
    All the comments made are great, but I'd move the TV above the fireplace to give the small room more space and get rid of the rocking chair as others have said, and the empty curio cabinet. Then move the sofa facing the fireplace and TV. now you have an open room and can put the huge recliner on the wall that used to have the bookcase. Paint the walls a pale color to compliment the carpet and slip cover the couch sot the room look s larger. Please choose one or two colors at most for the room and all colors should go with the furniture and not make it so busy looking.
  • Pat Wolfe
    11 years ago
    I can hardly wait to see the finished room. I so hope you send in several pics of your room. I was looking at pictures of different colors for a living room, or in your case TV/Family room, and I liked mostly the lighter colors, but didn't know how to get them on my earlier post. One of them was a medium color on bottom half of walls with a wide white strip, then a little lighter color on top half.. You'd have to see it to appriciate it. Also, maybe get rid of curtains & put up Roman Shades. I'd get rid of the brown(have I said this before?) trim & paint it the color you plan to use for your accent color. There are a lot of shades of white (someone suggested painting the ceiling white). I love going to Wall Mart or Lowes & looking at their paint colors. You probably would like to take your picture with you & go to Lowes & pick out a couple of colors to go with the color of your couch & carpet, unless you take carpet out, then whatever color the hardwood(if it is hardwood flooring). right now there is to much color in your room.
  • cocinera
    11 years ago
    okay.... how about this

the tv goes diagonally in the corner where the phone booth is now

that creates a kind of symmetry with
    the empty black space of the fireplace in one corner and
    the black screen of the tv in the other corner

lower the tv so that the top of the tv lines up with the opening of the fireplace

now to the right of the fireplace, a cabinet or bookcase
    even with or a little lower than the mantel shelf and
    made from the same wood as the fireplace surround

the recliner could go to the right of the fireplace in front of the bookcase or to the right of the couch

the rocker could go to the left of the fireplace and

i'm sorry but you really don't have room for both couches
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    There are a lot of comments, so this may have been mentioned, but the white door need to be replaced, painted or papered over. That white rectangle......
  • t834
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I have made lots of changes. I took out the bookcases, curio aka phone booth, chaise and the rocking chair. The carpet is burgundy. I will make my decision on the paint color Friday. The finish work will be 9-16-12. Pictures to follow.
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Get some paint samples to try. These cost around $3 each. Paint chips are only a hint of what the color will be on your wall (trust me, I painted yesterday!). So much depends on the sheen of the paint, the direction of the light ( north or south), color bouncing off the carpet...
  • t834
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    UPDATE! I still have to hang pictures and paint.
  • Manon Floreat
    11 years ago
    Wow - it's so much more open! Doesn't it feel better already?

I still think you have to address that recliner. I really think it's just too big for the room. And if you can manage, I'd like to see a larger area rug.

You are on the right track - definitely. A cozy, comfy room will soon be yours!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    Try this: pull area rug towards the sofa so that front of sofa touches the rug. Pull the coffee table in also so that you can reach it from the sofa. It doesn't have to be in the center of the rug. Bring recliner to the corner of the sofa directly opposite the bookcase. Should be a great view of tv from there! Plus, might be the best place to hide its bulk. But angle it towards tv so the back isn't facing out to the entry.

Just trying to find a place for it. But it is really big!

Take the plastic cover off the lamps (they are for you to enjoy, don't save them!)

I would move the small table with the mirror somewhere else: would it fit by the front door? If so, it would make sense there since it is always nice to have a mirror hung on the wall so you can do a final check before answering the door or heading out.

Shop for new drapery panels and rod. Get a substantial wooden rod and hang it high, close to ceiling. Get panels that touch the floor, or even puddle some (you can always hem). You can order 96 inch panels of most drapery carried by Bed, Bath and Beyond. Or shop online JC Penny, Country Curtains, etc.

You will want probably 4 panels for the fullness that you will need. Oh, and hang them wider than the window some.

Try the small wooden rocker where the large recliner is now. Just another seat for guests.

I'd like to see bookcase stained a darker shade. You can try rubbing Old English Oil Scratch Cover on. Or maybe paint it and paper the back of the shelves. Search the Houzz site for shelves. I would put some more heavy books on the bottom shelves.

A new more up to date ceiling fan in similar wood to your fireplace surround would really help to warm the room.

And, finally, I would paint the ceiling and the white door in a warm cream.

You are making great progress! Keep it up!
  • Pat Wolfe
    11 years ago
    Wow! You've done a lot of de-cluttering! So much better. Maybe try placing the bookshelf at an angle instead of flat against wall. Think I'd stain bookshelf to match the darker brown on tables & fireplace. Maybe just have one plate on coffee table and it is a good suggestion about placing area rug to edge of couch & then move table closer, also, so you can reach table from couch if needed. Like the smaller coffeee table with the shelf on bottom. The recliner looks good by fireplace and is in good location for visiting /talking with family or friends, but if you need to watch the TV it would be hard to see the TV. Have you already got the paint? Can"t wait to see what you decided on for color. Oh, what is next to the couch & white door? Looks like it must lead into another room; think the bookshelf blocked it before.
  • Gina Leitz
    11 years ago
    It looks so much better! Love the taller lamp but yes, remove the plastic off the shade. I agree to move the rug and coffee table closer to the sofa. I'd take the recliner and move it to the end of the sofa on an angle going toward the next room. You could still put one of those floor lamps there between the recliner and the sofa for extra lighting. What good is a reading nook with out a chair? Moving the bookcase was to make it a little reading nook. You could place your wooden rocker in that corner next to it I don't know if the bookcase is too wide to put on the other wall next to it. If it isn't, place it there and put the rocker with a little round table next to it where you can sit your reading material down (or a beverage). I also think it is a good idea to move the table with mirror next to the front door. I'd move the large red vase in front of the fireplace all the way to the right side of it. Buy a nice big round clock for that wall. I find pictures of family in small odd numbered groups would work nicely on the mirrored table or place them on the wall where you currently have the mirrored table. Personal items add warmth to a room. I'd still like to see something floral in the room. If you want to hide the wires from the t.v. make a cording out of fabric as close in color as you can to match the color you will paint the wall. It can be a long strip of fabric that you can velcro around it and use tie cords to hold all the wires together. BTW, the pillows look nice!
  • t834
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hello everyone. Finally finished except with some minor things to do like larger rug and hide the TV cords. The paint color is Valspar cream and sugar. I'm not quite sure about the table by the window, but I am happy with the room.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    1834, you must be so thrilled. Continue to tweak and refine. Hard to believe this is the same room. Your Houzzers have made such a difference with their suggestions. Congratulations...and enjoy!
  • Cynthia Hamil
    11 years ago
    The green wall is incompatible with the present floral printed sofa - as it is. This is a complete designer night mare, if the client is not willing to budge on the wall color selection or the sofa.

How attached are you to that sofa?
    How attached are you to the bright green walls?

If you have the budget to buy a new sofa, you may want to. However-- I recommend purchasing slip covers for the sofa in an off-white or neutral color.... or SOLID color of your choice (no pattern, k?). Even Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and other homes stores will have solid slip covers. This would be one of the best ways to start your room.

The green walls...
    Hmmmm --
    Do you LOVE these? Or is this something that you can tone down and repaint.
    It is definitely NOT working with the floral couch at this time.
    Tone them down to a more neutral shade. Otherwise, it looks like you are living on a lilly pad.

Rrrrrrribbbit!
  • Barb
    11 years ago
    Go neutral with browns, baiges, and creams
  • Pat Wolfe
    11 years ago
    So glad you posted pictures after you painted. It looks great!! You mentioned about maybe getting a larger rug in fromt of couch. Since you have wall to wall carpet, think I'd not put a rug in front of couch. It just doesn't look right. Now IF you had hardwood flooring that would be OK. I like the table in front of windows . . looks nice. Love the new curtains. Not sure about the black door . . .maybe a nice shade of cream, a bit darker than the color of the walls. The trim should be painted different than brown; maybe same color you would paint the black door. The next color from Cream & Sugar (darker). Been looking so forward to seeing what color you choose for the room. Thanks for posting.
  • Pat Wolfe
    11 years ago
    Oh, forgot to mention . .like the matching mirrors above couch!
  • pcmom1
    11 years ago
    One thing more you might try: turn sofa towards fireplace and tv. Much easier to watch and that area is your focal point!

Would the current area rug work in your entry way? Still would like you to move to small table with the mirror to the foyer. It sort of competes with your tv. I would bring back your wooden rocking chair to that area. Can always use another place to set!

Also in the corner by the window where the floor lamp is, put an ottoman (one on casters). That will fill in that area and also useful for seating.

Love that you painted that white door. You are really making a great transformation to the whole room!
  • Gina Leitz
    11 years ago
    The room looks great! It really evolved into a cozy room. The only thing I'd remove is the lamp in the corner by the two pictures if you aren't going to put a chair there or something like a table. The mirrors above the couch are nice along with your plant and books on the coffee table. The personal touch of family pictures in the frames (live,laugh,love) look great! I really like that table. I hope you are enjoying all of your effort!
  • Pat Wolfe
    11 years ago
    Do you still have the Rocking Chair? Maybe place it in the corner where the lamp is now . . just try it & see how it looks. Place the floor lamp on other end of couch where small table & lamp is now. After you finish with everything & you are happy post completed photos again. I have really enjoyed committing & reading other comments on your "cozy room".
  • Cynthia Hamil
    11 years ago
    I'm seeing the walls with the fireplace and far wall painted with a slightly darker and more cozy shade than what you have now. (See my idea file on accent walls or Rooms with colors that pop). I think a nice shade of terra cotta would warm up the room and give the room some added "Pop"!