edubya

What is "Texas Style?"

Emily H
9 years ago
We saw a bit of controversy over an ideabook about Texas style this week and the comments were really interesting. How would YOU describe Texas style?

Tell us about it! (photos encouraged)

Vintage Marquee Lights Texas Vintage Marquee Light · More Info

Comments (85)

• Maureen
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    From what I have seen on decorating shows (I live in Canada) it seems there are two prominent styles: the obvious that comes to mind mentioned in many responses above but also a revonated farmhouse style, using local rustic antiques, but mixed with modern. There is a show called Fixer Upper on HGTV that highlights this creative and interesting approach.
  • resident
    9 years ago
    From the perspective of this midwestern gal: All things done in BIG style!! Lol
  • Delora Dickey
    9 years ago
    I would think "Texas-style" in the same in every other state...ranging from modern to old country. In Southern California, my home is a mix of antique family furniture and traditional. My daughter's home is a bit country. Some friends' have modern to mid-century. Wouldn't it be sad if every home in a particular state all looked the same?
  • magsnicholl
    9 years ago
    I'm a transplanted Texan having emigrated (legally!) from N.Ireland 34 years ago and I love every corner of this beautiful state. The people are the friendliest in the world and the "texas style" here is anything you want it to be. Yes I have the big iron wall plaque of coyboys and horses hanging in my front porch!! I am addicted to Fixer Upper on HGTV from Waco with a fabulous husband and wife team who help people to buy homes (some very old and decrepid) and they use their talents and skills to make them into amazing homes of every taste. Ya'll need to watch these fabulous people. Long liveTexas.
  • idahardy
    9 years ago
    Texas style? To me it's about being practical according to where you live - building in a way that promotes good airflow and conserves water, using materials that are available locally and adding in something from your ancestors.
    It doesn't have to be wagon wheel gates and lone stars, or coyote carvings and painted tiles - but it could. It doesn't have to be great big homes on tiny plots in a subdivision, but it could be. It might just be a tiny little German style farmhouse on a hundred acres...
    Gun culture? Maybe... Individual rights? Definitely ... And that individuality is reflected in the style you see driving down the back roads.
    Outdoor showers, dirt roads, dogs and cats...
  • Janie Thomas
    9 years ago
    I just closed escrow on a home in Dallas, so I have seen the inside of a lot of homes recently. I would say in the Dallas high-end market the predominant styles are English Tudor, French and Mediterranean. The interiors tend to lean toward heavily embellished with leopard and zebra prints being very popular. I am a designer (coming from California), so I will be decorating my English Tudor with a neutral pallet and timeless design that doesn't involve any animal prints. One thing I can say is that Texans are the nicest people I have ever met and I can't wait to move there!
  • Dea
    9 years ago
    Oooookay... So are we talking "the style in Texas" or "Texas style"? If the first, the style is just like any other state. It reflects the style of the person doing the decorating. If their style is trashy, so is the decorating; if it's elegant, so is the home. Texas has all sorts of people from everywhere in the United States and the world. It's a huge banking and oil industry hub, and people come here to work from literally everywhere. And when they decorate their homes, they may put a few touches in to pay homage to Texas (such as a star or a lamp made to look like a boot), but usually the style is much the same as it would be if they were decorating a home in their native state or country. Now "Texas style" -- that's a whole 'nuther thing. That's the stereotypical cowboy/rustic/cowhide/studded leather/boots and saddles decorating that everyone not from Texas thinks of when they think of Texas. And most native Texans, like most of the other residents of this big and beautiful state, don't decorate that way.
  • Deanna
    9 years ago
    You hit the nail on the head, Dea. :-)
  • Kathleen
    9 years ago
    As a native Texan a few observations. Panhandle style is keeping out the sand and wind. Tall fences. One story homes predominate. Water wise. San Antonio - Austin anything goes, however with the drought I worry about the beautiful oak trees. Modern a lot more in Austin. Spanish - Mexican influence San Antonio. Dallas lots of suburbs. Houses reflecting the time they were built. Houston bigger is better. Wide streets and crazy freeways in both cities. This state has changed since I was a child. We are not all gun toting , Rick Perry, Ted Nugents. Hard working people with manners, courtesy and welcoming of all people made this state a great state. As Lyle Lovett sings, Texas wants you anyway".
  • PRO
    PaintColorHelp.com Dallas
    9 years ago
    Having visited thousands of Dallas area homes, I've definitely seen some patterns. However, it's less a "Texas style" than a matter of city vs. country, urban vs. suburban. Yes, you'll find stereotypical brown on brown more often in the suburbs, but that's the case in most states, best I can tell from Houzz photos and real estate listings. In the city core and especially in areas like Lakewood and Oak Cliff, you're much more likely to see modern, transitional, retro or eclectic looks. Speaking of Texas style, I've been dying to do a modern take on it - mixing in a few faux cowhide and rustic items with maybe some Moroccan and Mid-Century pieces. If anybody's game for that, please call me!
  • rosiegabby
    9 years ago
    I live in Texas Hill Country which has a particular style. Limestone is used a lot on exteriors and interiors particularly for fireplaces, metal or tile roofs are common.

The residence below would be a classic hill country style residence, although very small. Since this is a vacation home the kitchen is small. Texas kitchens would be larger.

It's a gorgeous style that fits the nature of the land.

http://houzz.com/photos/1942599
  • rosiegabby
    9 years ago
    Dooders- unfortunately Debbie decorates Dallas is also a common style I see in San Antonio model homes. Over the top decorating can be found in a lot of homes
  • rustyand
    9 years ago
    Well, you have convinced me that I must be part Texaican .. as my living spaces reflects almost all of the above.. but I just call it Home.. Guess I should place an Ok., Tx., Ca. emblem on my house.....
  • wadsworthpm
    9 years ago
    I live on the Gulf Coast, so to me Texas style is beachy. Some of it is Shabby Chic Beachy & some is more in style with the elegan southern Atlantic style. Either way, I love our laid back lifestyle & would never ever want to live anywhere else.
  • jklb1950
    9 years ago
    Texas style? Eclectic!
  • Becky Harris
    9 years ago
    What I love about Texas is the variety. It has been a pleasure getting to talk to Texan designers about their work. I also have loved exploring it via my fellow contributors' Houzz Tours. here are a few of my many favorite Texas projects;

I love this German-influenced stone home in Fredericksburg:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-movie-inspiration-for-a-texas-guesthouse-stsetivw-vs~20839767

this historic restoration outside of Austin:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-an-1850s-ancestral-home-in-texas-rises-again-stsetivw-vs~6664661

This wild mix under the canopy in Hawkins:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-under-a-metal-canopy-in-texas-stsetivw-vs~3693837

this charmingly restored home in Austin:
    https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-historic-home-in-austin-texas-stsetivw-vs~287589

and this project in Nixon is one of my all-time favorite stories:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-german-tradition-deep-in-the-heart-of-texas-stsetivw-vs~26896805
  • texiangirl
    9 years ago
    Eccentric, eclectic, and natural. My husband opened a woodworking business after we could not find the natural touch we wanted for our new house. Now we have visitors almost daily looking for a natural mantel or a different table to finish their home. Texans want individuality.
  • uberv
    9 years ago
    About as logical as asking for Florida style. That ranges from Art Deco in Miami to Spanish in St. Augustine with a lot of wooden cracker houses in between.
  • claresf
    9 years ago
    Inside everything goes with everything, put a tin roof over it and a mesquite floor under it, and cedar posts to hold up the porch roof.
  • bluedotty
    9 years ago
    Mid Century Modern
    Glenbrook valley in Houston
  • flutterbymissy
    9 years ago
    Texas is so many things and so many make assumptions. Texas is an eclectic mix of geography, tastes, textures, and attitudes. When you live here, you just have to find your place in it, but ultimately as a native Texan, it is what feels like "home." Bringing in the elements, since in some parts of Texas, actually bringing the outside in is impossible due to the humidity, creates a unique anchor and a basic canvas. As with anything else Texas, you can blend into the scenery, stand out, roll with it, or go BIG.
  • PRO
    clayworks
    9 years ago
    Texas style may be hard to define, but you know it when you see it. It is a reflection of the palette and the spirit of the place. Look to the cultural history, the materials at hand worked by traditional artisans, and an authentic style true to place will come through. Austin’s palette is as different from El Paso’s as Corpus Christi’s is different from Dallas’. Or for that matter, from Dime Box. When clients tell us that tiles and sconces seem authentic to Texas, we feel like we’re on the right track.
  • PRO
    Ann W Design
    9 years ago
    As a Texan currently residing in Arizona, I wanted to incorporate a few stereotypical Texas pieces in my home. We have a longhorn skull and a metal star. I love how they remind me of my home state.
  • Sauve
    9 years ago
    I wanted to buy a pair of mounted long horns to place in the entry of our new home but my husband questioned their addition.
  • PRO
    Restoring Texas
    9 years ago
    Metal roofs, big porches, small placements of cow hide, antiques whimsically mixed with modern pieces, 5" wide long leaf pine floors perfectly worn, ship lapped wood walls painted white, 12' high ceilings....sophisticated simplicity with a touch of rough around the edges.
  • speckledcat
    9 years ago
    I'm a native Texan (sixth generation on both sides) whose ancestors helped settle East Texas and fought in Texas' war for independence, so I am qualified to comment. The nature of my home state is very complex, diverse and eclectic; its architecture and furnishings often are tied to the climate and availability of materials. Those cowhides a few of you are mocking sometimes represent our pioneering ancestors who may have had little else to put into their homes. If I ever chose to use one, I would do so to recognize and honor those hardy souls who made me what I am today. The overdone, tacky décor seen on Debbie Decorates Dallas is not representative of Texas style. It's a part of the "new money" culture that crops up all over the world; Texans don't have that market cornered, but our booming economy readily facilitates it. The grandchildren of the clients Debbie is misguiding won't be caught dead decorating that way. My husband and I aren't wealthy, but we have managed to fill our home with many pieces of fine art and antiques, and guess what? They look marvelous with our brown leather sofa and my beloved grandfather's branding iron.
  • Deidra King
    9 years ago
    Well, I am Texan. When people ask me this question, I am puzzled. I think home builders have created a style of their own. I did not grow up with 2-story ceilings and massive windows - and I don't want them! Austin, south and east Texas have styles that I believe are different; beyond that, I don't think there is one.
  • ahelaumakani
    9 years ago
    *Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong with these photos. I just want the picture, not the link or my name at the bottom.

I've lived in Texas all my life. Everyone is making this way too hard. Yes, you can live in Texas and decorate your house in Mediterranean or French Country or whatever. That is not Texas style and that's not what the question is asking.

To me, Texas style is big stone fireplaces, brown leather couches, hard floors, cowhide rugs, wrought iron, deer mounts, crosses.

Family room remodel · More Info

Inside 23 American Homes with Taxidermy Decor | Estately Blog · More Info

Photo from http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b8/0e/14/b80e14a343c3d7e460070 · More Info
  • Dana Veach
    9 years ago
    Many of you...lucindalane, blynette, Becky Harris, idahardy, and psmoya, for example...got it right..."Texas style" is carved from the geography and ethnicity of the diverse regions of this sprawling state...whether Spanish, German, French, Czech, or whatever. The travel slogan, "Texas is a whole 'nother country," says it well: The state is so large that its various regions are as individual as the states within our nation itself. The hardy individuals who settled this state learned to make use of the native materials available to them in their particular regions to build their homes, farms, ranches, villages, and cities. And that "hard scrap" individualism which is, to me, the essence of "Texas Style..." has thankfully, remained. It makes room for "individual style" and creativity. We don't try to conform to a prescribed way of doing things in the name of "Texas style." I wasn't born here, but I've spent a good portion of my life in various regions of the state, and I'm proud to call it home. Long live Texas!
  • Mercy Me
    9 years ago
    I'm a transplanted New Yorker and have been living very happily in lush Central Texas for 11 years. And, I've been in hundreds of different homes because of the freelance work I do for a realtor. I've seen all kinds of decor. The good. The bad. And the ugly. Some of the most delicious Texas-based design comes from native Texan Jan Showers. Her work is the farthest you can get from the ubiquitous and generally hideous faux Tuscan look that has been perpetrated by home builders around these parts. If I never see another Texas Tuscan production home again it will be too soon. Oh, and my Texas born and raised husband wouldn't be caught dead with a Texas star or longhorn stuff in our home or on the lawn. As he says, "I'm not a professional Texan."
  • Becky Harris
    9 years ago
    @uberv, you bring up an interesting idea for an ideabook - in going through the Florida Houzz inventory in my head just from homes I've had the pleasure of writing about there is such a great unique variety. I may just have to run with that at some point.Thanks!

I failed to mention in my comment above another Texas style I love, which was the state's own unique take on mid-century modernism. It has a true regional modernism that's very warm and interesting — architects like Hugh Jefferson Randolph honor it in their work today.
  • User
    9 years ago
    Personally, whenever someone mentions a particular regions style, my first question is when? If the answer is during this decade, my response is "builder friendly". Regardless of the area, unless the price range is upper echelon, the typical style is whatever cookie cutter design the builder has found easy and cost efficient to use. Unfortunately, this attitude translates into many interiors as well, especially since the builder typically choses those items as well. If the time frame goes back five to six decades, the styles would exude more regional taste and uniqueness. Sadly, the "global" world has fused styles, particularly in the US, to the point that it is difficult to look at modern homes and place them in their environment.
  • jstjuls
    9 years ago
    Arch Digest had the Bush's ranch in their last issue, it is what every Texan would feel right at home in. We like layering, rugs on the floor, tile or wood floors, comfortable tables and chairs. Yes every true Texan has a star of some kind along with our Grandmothers soapbox glasses. Mexican decor fits right in, we love their adobe bricks, silver frames and hand blown glass. Most of all we love to make people feel comfortable when they visit. Whether it's iced tea and sandwiches or coffee and pecan pie a true Texan will always love to visit with you.
  • lucindalane
    9 years ago
    Well, maybe if there is one main theme that can be applied to Texas style, it's the word, "rustic," and that by itself has a broad definition. Going by things said here, though, it seems that people will incorporate something "rustic" in their decor. It could be just a plain pottery bowl bought somewhere around the state that sits in an elegant River Oaks home in a state of the art kitchen. It might be a huge set of longhorns over a fireplace, or it might be an old farmhouse somewhere in the state with a back porch with an old enamel pan on the wall, and an even older rocking chair nearby-even an old piece of driftwood found on the beach at Galveston, or Padre Island, or Freeport, and placed on a beach house coffee table. So, maybe something "rustic" about our abodes is the one thing we all share as Texas style.
  • pearlsandjeans
    9 years ago
    These are some of my attempts to bring a taste of our home state of Texas to our current house in Philadelphia-some Western art, touches of turquoise, leather and a cowhide rug.
  • tinaboriley63
    9 years ago
    hey gracie, glad you liked my commemt about texas. dont get me wrong, texas is a beutiful state! but dont get me started about their driving!! and my brother in law is a cop.
  • ticklepott
    9 years ago
    Growing up in Galveston, Texas style to me, besides being comfortable and cool is the beach; warm sun, sand and a nice breeze off the Gulf. Don't forget to add a few shells to your décor. I have a little bit of everything in my home here in Missouri; blues, aqua greens, shells, the Texas flag and a set of longhorns. Oh yeah, I'm forgetting the Texas shaped stepping stones in my garden and my Texas star. You can take the girl out of Texas, but you can never take Texas out of the girl.
  • Dana Veach
    9 years ago
    Know exactly what you mean, ticklepott...My Sis and I spent years in the the K.C. area, raising our respective families...now back in TX...grew up in various parts of the state...El Paso, Dallas, San Antonio and Hill Country...just spent 3 years just north of Corpus...10 minutes from the Island (Port A./North Padre, that is)...now in the deep Tx. woods. I do truly miss the Gulf...never thought I'd love it as much as the Hill Country, but there's something about the salt smell, the wind, and the cry of the gulls that just gets into you!
  • PRO
    Elizabeth McGreevy
    9 years ago
    Texas is so electric and large that we have no one architectural style. Instead, we've got attitude.
  • Dana Veach
    9 years ago
    Amen, Roc+Solid! A lone star and pair of long horns on the wall does not a Texan make!
  • PRO
    Colorfull Concrete
    9 years ago
    This is concrete countertop of texas
  • Kam H
    7 years ago

When I think of Texas style, I think of country. Blubonnets. Limestone. Old fences. Front porches. Barns. Barns made into houses. Native Texas landscape-wildflowers with lots of brick and rock borders and walkways. High ceilings. Wood floors. Rusty items, interior and outside. Antiques mixed with new furniture. Rock fireplaces. A Texas flag. Home. I'm a native Texan, and I grew up in the Hill Country, moved away, and have missed it ever since. Houzz is a good place to revisit the houses I love! Thank you! Another place to see Texas style, with a little traditional style thrown in is HGTV 's Fixer Upper. Their own home and farm is Texas style too. There's a bumper sticker that says 'I wasn't born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could.'

I was born in Texas, and I get back every chance I get.

• Belahn
    7 years ago

I'm a native Texan but have lived in many other places. I grew up all along the gulf coast and currently live in the SW desert of Utah. I've lived in every region of Texas, so, I've experienced a lot of different Texas styles. The coast is full of beach houses, hill country has a lot of rock houses with tin and tile roofs, west Texas has stucco and tile with xeriscapes, etc. One recurring thing though that I have to mention is that a LOT of people all over the state seem to have a star somewhere, usually on the outside and something in the shape of the state somewhere inside. I'm not sure why but it is uniquely Texan. I remember the first time I saw King of the Hill, I noticed the Texas shaped clock in their house and thought, "yep, got that right!" Also, Texans love to use the state flag in decor.

• PRO
    Five Star Painting of Austin
    6 years ago

Texas is an amazing state with amazing people! We think Texas-style can be anything and everything!

• wacokid
    6 years ago

• Margaret Schultz
    6 years ago

haha!! bookmarking this thread so I can come back to it later... I have lived in Austin now for 8 years and I took my cues from the state's Spanish colonial history. Lots of Mexican tile, warm colors, wrought iron... I'll post pictures once we have everything done.

• felizlady
    6 years ago
    You can't pigeon-hole a "style" in a state as big and varied as Texas. Texans these days come from every state and everywhere else in the world, excluding home-bred Texans. Every Texan, whether a permanent resident, newcomer or temporary transplant, brings some style from their previous life. You may want to rephrase "Texas Style" into Cowboy, Rancher, City Slicker, Traditional, Contemporary, Country Casual, Big Oil, Shabby Chic, Transitional, or simply Varied Individual Style.
  • PRO
  • acm
    6 years ago

Guys, the post is three years old. Can we stop resurrecting it?