mokearney

What cabinetry woods and wall color go with Brazilian green slate, for a low-contrast, soothing interior?

mokearney
12 years ago
We're considering Brazilian green slate in our new country home for several reasons-more rustic than the Halila limestone we chose for our current urban home, roughness allows us to use larger pieces for interior flooring as well as exterior lanai for an indoor-outdoor feel, also for showers for flush-no curb, floor-through feel in bathrooms, and because they seem more forgiving wrt cleaning in showers and outdoors. We have 2 design dilemma questions: 1) what types of cabinetry wood veneers and wall colors would you recommend that are low-contrast and 2) what would you recommend to waterproof the shower walls (continuing the slate up the walls could make the shower and bathroom too dark)?
Spa in the Sky · More Info

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Christine Suzuki, ASID, LEED AP
    12 years ago
    Hi, waterproofing the shower walls is best done with tiles, I would stick with a natural stone to coordinate with your Brazilian green slate floor. Perhaps a travertine tile or a lighter green limestone (Ann Sacks Tile - Mist). After selecting a coordinating wall tile, then I would select the cabinet wood/color. It sounds like you are looking for a color that will blend in with the room (not contrasting). I would select a wood that is similar and supports the wall tile color. Hope that helps! Christine
  • mac0075
    11 years ago
    We are re-doing our shower stall but leaving our floor in place. It has a tile very similar to this texture but with some auburn/green etc in it. (see attached) When I re-tile the shower area, should I also keep a textured tile in there as well or should I go with a smooth tile and if possible, what color do you think would be best? I'm confused by this tile.
  • PRO
    Shree Jal Devi Stone
    10 years ago
    Hi we have many slates pls chk