edubya

POLL: Spice rack vs. Spice drawer

Emily H
9 years ago
There seems to be two main ways people handle spice storage in their kitchens. Which do you prefer?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!
Other - Tell us below!

Comments (135)

• Najeebah
    9 years ago
    I have a rack in a drawer
  • deckerwong
    9 years ago
    In my kitchen I have these wire drawers and the spice bottles got too heavy and made the rollers of my racks go off track. Since I like to buy my spices bulk I got an idea. I found some heavier than normal weight small zip lock bags (3" wide by 5" long) and also some spice labels that fit. My spices went in the individual bags. Now all my spices fit in two drawers. My second drawer are the spices that we use the most and need the larger quantity. Those stay in their jars.
  • darletter
    9 years ago
    I have spice carousels for some, and drawers for others. I grow some of my own spices, so I keep the larger containers in a drawer. I love these carousels and refill them from the larger containers
  • vernbarber
    9 years ago
    I have two spice drawers one above the other just to the left of the stove top. I like having them all at the same level for quick perusing.
  • Karen Good
    9 years ago
    I have two big drawers and love them. Also have rarely used ones on a door rack and BIG bottles of ones used daily on a shelf. Yes I do have a lot of spices!!!
  • Rochelle Belle
    9 years ago
    Right now I have a spice cabinet that is large so I love all of the space! I would love to have a drawer as well for the spices that I use more often.
  • Peg Jacobs
    9 years ago
    We just sold a house where my honey took the built in narrow broom cupboard and made shelves on the door (about 5' tall and a couple of inches deep) and made me loads of shelving inside the cabinet. We apparently over achieve in the way of spices! Building a new house now and spice storage is a priority for us!
  • anneroby
    9 years ago
    I use too many spices for either...need entire 32" cabinet storing spices on one side, herbs on other but including condiments like salts,peppers, vinegars, oils.
  • theholiday
    9 years ago
    DEAN AND DELUCA Test Tube Spice Rack on the counter top. love it every time i look at it and so easy to use. the other items go in the pantry, with the exception of my salt cellar for kosher salt and pepper grinder that both sit on my counter with the oil and vinegar. i usually need nothing else when i'm cooking. Now for baking, that's a whole'nother topic......
  • Enisa Bosnic
    9 years ago
    super ima li vas u BOSNI I HERCEGOVINI
  • PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    9 years ago
    A spice rack drawer with an area for oven mitts is a great solution near the cooktop!
    Transitional and Timeless · More Info
  • Camille
    9 years ago
    I keep mine on the door in my fridge so they last longer.
  • Karen Heffernan
    9 years ago
    I love my spice test tubes!
  • Anne Z
    9 years ago
    Have way too many shapes and sizes for a drawer. My preference is multiple lazy susans and multi level shelves in a cabinet. A drawer is nice for limited numbers of same size jars.
  • Karen
    9 years ago
    Hmmm.. I have and voted rack, but the pics of spice drawers have me re-thinking my choices!
  • ckranich
    9 years ago
    I have a small kitchen and lost drawer space, but gained cabinet space, in my recent kitchen remodel. I treated myself to some of these: https://www.verticalspice.com/
  • Anne Z
    9 years ago
    Now those would work and I like your choice of spice merchant -- mine too.
  • Jennifer Carr-Toms
    9 years ago
    Love my drawer! Keeps everthing right where I need it and I can take out the spice I need and put it right away without ever having to put stuff on the counter which will have all my chopped prep while I cook.
    Craftsman House Interior · More Info
  • Anne Z
    9 years ago
    Building a new home. Trying to determine what my needs are in a new kitchen. Meet with a designer in a month or so. I have more spices than a sane person should have. Thank you all for your input.
  • jerryalan
    9 years ago
    Two tiered carousel for me.
  • Anne Z
    9 years ago
    Check the website from the earlier post by ckranich. It may change your mind on the tiered carousel.
  • cjens11
    9 years ago
    My spice drawer is one of my favourite features of my new kitchen. I love it....very inspiring!
  • prrrrt
    9 years ago
    Guess all those ideas also work for vitamin and supplement storage. Which I need.
  • Inger Nyborg
    9 years ago
    My drawers are always messy (I'm a control freak who should live alone). I'd go for spice rack. Much easier to keep control of what should be purchased :)
  • Anne Z
    9 years ago
    Leaning towards racks now. I have so many jars in different cabinets I've started keeping lists of what is where and baking spices are separate. (Now is that controlling?)
  • Jane Carman
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    We have interests in a variety of herbs and spices inspired from taking cooking classes in our travels around the world. Our best solution was to bottle everything in 70 sizeable clear jars, in 2 drawers, in alphabetical order. It's neat, clean and easy to use.
  • PRO
    MAS Architecture
    9 years ago
    Why waste a drawer? Racks are definitely the best use of space whether it be an inside of a cabinet or a rotating rack for decoration.
  • Britastina
    9 years ago
    @MAS Architecture
    Because! Because there isn't enough space for a rotating rack. Because the cabinet closest to the stove is being used for something else (like food, maybe?). Because people's cooking styles are different. Because people's tastes are different. Because we are dealing with what we have, not what we designed. In an ideal world me and my architect would spend hours talking about my cooking style and my favorite way to store my favorite spices. Then we would muse about the windows for my herbs. I'm sorry to sound snarky but most of us are dealing with what came with the house. This thread gives us ideas that we can dream about, and sometimes use. That makes me very happy.
  • Kristina
    9 years ago
    MAS Architecture, I could say something similar about racks. Why waste counter or cabinet space when you have a perfect drawer for your needs? Who wants to move a rotating spice rack when you're rolling out dough for pie crust, pizza, or cinnamon rolls. Not to mention it being in the way when you have 30 people over for Thanksgiving and you need as much counter space as you can get for the buffet. And I have plenty of other, bigger things than a few spice jars I need my cabinet space for. Different kitchens, different folks, different strokes.
  • Jean
    9 years ago
    My current and last home has the spice rack built onto the inside of the pantry door. I LOVE it. I keep them alphabetical, which makes gathering ingredients so fast. The lower rack is larger for the taller bottles and unusual shaped items.
  • Laide Ekisola
    9 years ago
    Nothing is handier than a wall or counter top or door rack.
  • Momof5x
    9 years ago

I prefer a spice rack but in new house have pull our racks in a corner of lower cabinets besides the cooker, however, have to keep bending to reach stuff. I may use it for pan lids eventually or whatever, and buy a spice rack. I have a turntable for condiments and salt and pepper shakers.

• Judy Mishkin
    9 years ago

i have a rack in one house, drawer in the other. i hate the drawer. i hate every time i need a spice my messy hand gucks up the knob and i have to overcome the self close thing and dig for the spice which has rolled so that label is down. hate it. the counter top carousel is so much easier. i dont want an insert so that i have to return spices in the correct orientation. bah humbug.

i have the drawer because its a second home and i didnt want the spices to be out in the light getting stale. but the carousel is so much easier.

• Kristina
    9 years ago

momof5x, that sounds like the worst place to put spices. I'd change that out for sure, and probably quit cooking until it was done.

• shamasbay
    8 years ago

Spices that I don't use too often, I put in the freezer. Ones that I use almost daily are in a cupboard by my prep area.

• PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We love the spice drawers. It allows easy access while cooking throughout the kitchen!

• PRO
    Chaos 2 Organized
    8 years ago

I work with clients all the time that have issues with what spice system to use. I usually look at the space they have to utilize and what would work well in their kitchen. Also most people do have a personal preference, so I like to start with that and then give them a range of ideas to choose from. I aim to please the client :-)

• Heidi Zagori
    8 years ago

I have a copper tray (about 100 yrs old) that I keep my spices in. I put the spices in repurposed sliced jalapeno jars. I use two labels on top, one that's been printed on with the name, and a clear plastic one on top to protect the label underneath. I keep them out because I just don't have space to store them all. I have many more besides these but these are the "top 50" that I use all the time.

• User
    8 years ago

Looks somewhat like mine except less organized. My most used small bottles are in my warming oven next to stove within individual container boxes and the larger ones in bottom of pantry from where I do the refills.

• Gail
    8 years ago

Freezer, drawers and cupboards. They are a mess.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I use a lazy susan in the corner of my cabinets! Cabinet maker hates me to this day!

kathi_steele's ideas · More Info
    Out of sight but right next to stove and completely accessible!

• Bev
    7 years ago

Since we buy very large containers of spices instead of those little costly bottles from McCormick, we keep them in the food rack I purchased from Amazon last year.

• granny4ten
    7 years ago
    Love my alphabetical spice drawer. Everything is easy to see.
  • Gail
    7 years ago

Normally I would have said spice drawer but I love the look of this pantry like spice rack. I truly think that either one would work.

• Ben Hart
    7 years ago

Drawer for the simple fact you can see it all.

• Lori
    7 years ago

I wouldn't want to waste a drawer. I have built in racks on the inside of my pantry doors.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

That is awesome! But, I don't have a walk in pantry available. So I use a lazy susan in the corner.

• N S
    7 years ago

Husband built me a 6 foot x 3 foot rack on wheels that is between my frig and counter. I also use a 1/2 cabinet shelf for bulk. Absolutely love it. When we moved in and I had nowhere to put spices that stopped me cold from setting up the kitchen. He bopped downstairs and knocked it out. We are redoing the kitchen now and he's building one to match.

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Aren't husbands the best?

• Kathi Steele
    7 years ago

Trib, you crack me up!!!