bradshaw2014

Should I paint this interior brick walk?

bradshaw2014
10 years ago
Hi! We just moved into our new home and the basement has an interesting brick wall which we have highlighted with four recess lights. The space would look great with contemporary furniture and white walls but we already had these furniture pieces that we had to use and now we are debating what color to paint the walls and if we should paint the brick wall? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (36)

• rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The brick feature is great! You could paint the walls a pastel (from the fabric? very pale sage maybe?), but the offwhite is ok too (if it's in good condition, why paint?). The stripes of the ottoman (and blinds) clash with the brick, so a solid cover might look better. The rug looks a bit too small and the blinds don't fit in, what color are they? Curtains would look better and 'soften' the wall a bit.
  • bissen22
    10 years ago
    Please don't paint the brick! Maybe a designer could chime in but wouldn't a mantle look good? Maybe something stained a medium natural wood shade (not white or ebony). Just something to make the fireplace more interesting? It looks lonely right now.
  • Related Discussions

Exposed Brick Work!

Q

Comments (1)
    Check with your local brick supplier. Most of them sell a thin brick that goes on just like tile (just use a tile mastic adhesive). It doesn't make near the mess as using using full size brick so it works well in existing spaces. A word of caution: The brick tiles do cost significantly more than full size bricks. Here is a pic of a similar product and some pictures from a basement we just completed that used the tile brick as a fireplace surround and an accent wall in the kitchenette.
    ...See More

How should I bring some life and spunk in this room?

Q

Comments (32)
    First of all, I don't think that furniture is comfortable enough to sit and watch TV, so the TV should be remove from that room, the purple wall paper and the purple furniture is too much, you should consider another color for that wall and the furniture against the wall it doesn't look good. What is that room at the end is kind of dark and I cannot appreciate exactly what is the purpose of that room. I'm a firm believer in skylights, we have skylights in the laundry room, kitchen, living room and office, they make a big difference. (if you cannot have skylights (or tube lights) can lights are a great option. There are a lot of great ideas from everyone. I can't wait to see the after photos.
    ...See More

Paint option for exposed red brick?

Q

Comments (1)
    It sounds as if the bricks were never properly sealed. Using a penetrating brick sealer should solve the problem.
    ...See More

i want do design interior for 3BHK flat

Q

Comments (19)
    ok K.I sir. i just need ur sugeestion for 3BHK flat for paint or color combination of wall color with furniture n certains. so can u suggest me or send some pictures
    ...See More
  • lopay
    10 years ago
    It would be really hard to un-paint it. Design around the brick. The couch is fine, but the blinds, rug and other furniture isn't right in this room.
  • bradshaw2014
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for your response. I agree with everything you said but we are working with what we have for now. The blinds are a green tone from the previous owner that actually matches the couch. I tried covering the chairs but could not find a good fit. I replaced the pillows and am hoping to buy a bigger rug/shag in a cream tone.
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    I think the floral fabric looked better than the cover. If you don't like them just remove them from the room and have some simple wooden (café) side chairs instead. Love to see the ottoman in a similar green as the blind (I understand you're keeping it?), or a pale ottoman with a darker green rug. The new pillows look too yellow (please excuse me for tackling every new item).

Note: the items and changes you're naming are the things I would NOT do.. I doubt if I can be of any help.
  • intdesign101
    10 years ago
    I don't think you should paint the brick- it's very pretty and adds character to the room! However, an entire wall of it is over bearing to the eye. Perhaps you could consider a mantle to break up the wall? I think the couch fits but not the pillows and chairs. I would recommend reupholstering the chairs to better match the colors. Also, curtains and new pillows would help to add color to the space. To save money you could reupholster the pillows as well.
    Here's some examples of the fireplace with mantles, however since yours is the full wall, then you may want to consider having a full wall mantle! Hope this helps!
  • Dorothy Vannan
    10 years ago
    Yes you definitely should
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Portfolio · More Info

Spice Warehouse Tribeca Loft Living room · More Info

American Natural Tumbleweed Wood Plank Porcelain Tile · More Info

Tuscan Style Loft · More Info

Stamford Living Detail · More Info

Crisp Architects · More Info
  • PRO
    Grupo ICC
    10 years ago
    Don't paint. Put some art and wood under the chimney to fill the death space.
  • sarainitaly
    10 years ago
    You should hang some cool black and white photos, or some cool artwork.
  • sarainitaly
    10 years ago
    i read through the comments, and think you should try the couches facing each other, removing the floral throw pillows ( i see you did) and add some deeper richer colors, along with the yellow ones...

move the chairs and ottoman to their own sitting area elsewhere in the room (or another room) and create two different convo areas in room...? is there space?

definitely a new larger cozy rug, and some cool accent pieces, and a wood and iron coffee table and you can turn the room into a really interesting cozy cafe vibe atmosphere that would really pay off with that wall. ...
  • MicKat Ken
    10 years ago
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE the brick. Add a mantel and big mirror. The busy-ness of the parquet floor is a lot. The larger area rug will help. Maybe Paint the blinds? There is a fabric spray paint, however, I have never personally used it!! Or...what color are they on the back, can they possibly be flipped? Prefer floral chair over cream slipcover. But suggest slightly larger, squishy pillows for sofa. Nice size room!
  • sarainitaly
    10 years ago
    These are different types of rooms, but they all kind of capture the modern coziness of a brick wall that i was thinking... one even has your actual floor.

http://narfnet.com/stunning-comfortable-room-in-modern-design/warm-glow-of-lighting-in-a-eclectic-living-room-with-brick-wall/

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/79868593366613427/
  • bgfuqua
    10 years ago
    do not paint the brick - hang artwork/decorative objects. the only urgent need I see is a larger rug.
  • PRO
    RJC Interior Remodeling, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I would strongly suggest that you don't paint the brick. The days of painted brick are gone and natural stone/brick is in!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    It is good with and without - they are just different looks. It can be more contemporary to paint it, and if you ever think you want to put a more contemporary stone or stone tile profile wall up, it is good to have unpainted masonry to grout to. Yours has some neat accent "lines" through it.

The wall is more transitional unpainted - in other words, despite its clean contemporary lines, the brick tones work better with the furniture you have - so why not keep it until you determine which direction you are heading. If you LOVED very romantic / traditional interiors, you might even antique it by cream washing it so it wasn't painted but muted down - that isn't your look even though it matches the chairs.

So, given where you are now, I recommend you leave it. Put up an art gallery on it - if the gallery has mostly contemporary elements (modern art, line drawings, graphics, maybe some sepia toned photography) in sleek metallic frames, you will help the wall bring some loft style in. Since the brick is red and the sectional is green, I can't recommend sage green walls for you - that would feel way too traditional for you I think. Go for a warm neutral that won't fight anything. Kind of sw kilim beige . . . good one to test / place to start when you pull paint chips.
  • bradshaw2014
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks to everyone for all the good ideas. This is my first time seeking advice from Houzz and I am impressed by all the great feedback. We are going to leave the brick as is, get a good mantle, a large area rug and maybe drapes as a start and hopefully in the future replace the chairs. Thanks again!
  • mariaed
    10 years ago
    I liked the chairs when you had them slip covered. The flower fabric and the brick don't seem to be the same style and at least on my monitor clash a bit colour wise.
    The new furniture arrangement looks good.

Currently there is a shadow down the middle of your painting.If you can angle your pot lights try to face them in a bit more towards the painting otherwise I think you'd be better with two pieces of art each under their own spotlight.
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    Install simple rust natural fiber drapes to spread the color around the room. Also think about getting a large neutral rug as well. Love the room!!
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    Something like this for drapes??
  • Jillian Dicosimo
    10 years ago
    how about toning down the red with a light white wash? I'd definitely add a mantel to break up the space a bit..
  • PRO
    Shakuff
    10 years ago
    Oh yes, a mantle is going to be gorgeous! :) Adding the art like you did really fills the space. The brick is so lovely. I love what you've done with the room so far. I too like the chairs with the white slipcover.
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    Looking nice. I would slipcover the chairs to make them more contemporary. Love the art.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    10 years ago
    @bradshaw2014 : Per your latest pics, nice layout. The recessed lighting was a nice touch to give warmth to the brick
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I would leave the brick as is. Love the new arrangement. I would add a mantle and/or mantle surround. I would build-in bookcases on each side of the fireplace. Only as high as the new mantle. Add a mirror over the fireplace and artwork on the brick wall.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    Like the brick ,I think the floor is com petani ,need a huge rug to tone it down or paint the floor perhaps
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I agree with Brandi. I see the floor conflicting with the brick. I think I would paint the floor and the texture will still be enough interest. Maybe a warm tan color. It would be a nice neutral for the room.
  • Carguy .
    10 years ago
    I would like to see a floor to ceiling bookcase on the left in place of the painting. With some trim pieces you could make it look like a built-in. Then a chunky mantle to fill the remaining space, spanning from the bookcase to the wall on the right. Keep trying to get good-fitting slipcovers for the chairs, new throw pillows, and finish with a large, colorful, bold area rug. I like what you've done so far and agree you should not paint the brick.
  • ispoildogs
    10 years ago
    I think the wall looks great the way it is now, with a piece of art and no mantle. Sometimes less is more.
  • Rita Patrick
    10 years ago
    This arrangement is much better! I would not add anything else to the brick wall. I would find a larger neutral rug as you mentioned I believe. I am still not sure about the framed piece. It probably works okay but there needs to be something in the room to make it feel updated and fresh along with the "cozy" feel it has now.
  • Rita Patrick
    10 years ago
    Do you ended task lighting or does overhead lighting suffice? Another idea for updating--you may be able to remove all the skirting from the couches and chairs easily and expose sleek nicely shaped wooden furniture legs.
  • Rita Patrick
    10 years ago
    Do you "need" task lighting....
  • Rita Patrick
    10 years ago
    Where's my coffee?. . .
  • PRO
    User
    10 years ago
    There are many ways to make the wall interesting other than a paint. Lime washes and stucco are two options to look into.
  • bradshaw2014
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The lighting in the room is good, I don't think we need task lighting but I do agree about the dated pieces, I think the brick wall would look great with more contemporary furniture but my mother in-law passed away and we got all of her furniture so we need to work with it. I will explore the option of removing the skirts but I don't think the legs are very pretty.
    Interesting idea about painting the floor...

Thanks!