texannie

ann
12 years ago
As you can see from the pics, reno has started. we are torn about what to do with our tv. we can hang it above the fireplace, but where do the components go? we can do built ins to the right of the fireplace but are worried about the way that would look as you walk in the room from the entry, or we can hang in on the wall to the right of the fireplace with a small tv console of some kind under it to anchor it and perhaps a chair on the side. any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comments (19)

• ej610
    12 years ago
    Hi Ann. Whats on the left side of the fireplace? Do you have a photo that shows that wall?
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    it's a wall of french doors.
  • ej610
    12 years ago
    The wall to the right of the fireplace would be a great place for built-ins and your TV. Can you move that door entrance to the right about 2 feet (or more) so a built-in can extend all the way to that corner wall?
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    we have thought of that, but it makes for an odd corner in the entry, plus we are sort of in the camp of 'spend the money on furniture you can take versus leave' (if that makes sense) also, we have quite a bit of art and would lose wall space if we did a whole built in.
  • jcv2
    12 years ago
    Instead of a floor to ceiling built-in, you could build in base style cabinetry to hold the electronics with an open area above for mounting the TV.
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    thanks, we have thought of that too. would we need to move the wall over for that too? i think we have thought of every option but find holes in all of them! LOL
  • PRO
    Four Brothers Design + Build
    12 years ago
    I like the idea of built ins to the right of the fireplace just wide enough to hold the TV. I would be worried that putting the TV above the fireplace would put it too high for comfortable viewing, and you would have trouble hiding the wires and equipment. Moving the door would not be bad if it is possible.
  • ej610
    12 years ago
    If you mount the TV over the fireplace, you'll need to cut a groove in the grout to run the wires to the drywall, then re-grout. You will still have the problem of where to put the dreaded cable box and any sound system you may have. In which case you'll need some kind of unit to the right. You could get a thin, tall unit and place it right next to the fireplace. This will leave you a lot of wall space for your pictures.

http://www.installyourplasma.com/TV-Installation-Over-Fireplace.html
  • ej610
    12 years ago
    If you don't want to cut in to the grout, you could run the wires to the ceiling behind a concealer and faux paint it. There won't be much showing - depending on the height of your TV. Once the cables are run to the ceiling, you can run them anywhere in the room through the walls.
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    our initial plan had been to put it above the fireplace (with the mantle lowered, tv angled to help with viewing). then it became an issue of where the danged box goes. looked into putting it into a nearby closest and getting the logictech remote but costs keep adding up. then our designer suggest the seating arrangement for the den might work better if the tv was somehow on the right hand wall plus we could use the hearth as viewing seating if needed too. i am so torn and slightly obsessing too! LOL
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    12 years ago
    Hi Ann, definitely do built-ins, have your cabinetry supplier do up some various elevations for you to ensure flow from the entryway. You don't need to run the electrical through the walls, I'm attaching a photo where we ran the electrical cords through a plumbing pipe that sat inside the mantle, so that you could fish wires through from one cabinet to another as needed. You don't need to do floor to ceiling, just plan it appropriately, and I would NOT put your TV over the fireplace mantle, put it in the cabinetry, with an arm extender - you take away the ambiance of the fireplace by sticking a TV over it. Not good design. Good Luck with your project - photo below has hidden TV and media storage built in!
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    cool, thanks!
  • PRO
    Trantow Design
    12 years ago
    Have you thought about radio frequency components? We did this about three years ago and everything runs wirelessly from a closet and a universal remote. Contact a local techy at best buy or some other electronics store, and ask about it. Let's face it, components aren't pretty.
    Mary Trantow, Trantow Design
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    12 years ago
    Hi ann, looks like your fireplace brick comes out about 1.5 to 2 feet, so you could do a custom angled cabinet for the base and open above as mentioned before. In this case you won't need to move the opening to the TV room.
  • hilltop1155
    12 years ago
    When you say you're in the camp of spending money on things you can take with you, I read that to mean you're interested in resale potential for the house but want it to be comfortable in the meantime. If that's the case, I don't know that a built-in designed for your situation will really get a payback and the built-in could potentially be a drawback if it didn't suit someone else's arrangement. Therefore, I would go with a really nice console that's designed for your TV and components that you'd want to take along for the next house.

By the way, we got the Logitech remote and RF extender and are very happy with it. The Harmony is a little tricky to program, but it works well and the RF was worth every cent.
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Mary, yes, we have looked in the RF extenders. definitely an option,
    Dytecture...awesome pic. i like that look!
    Hilltop...we always consider resale. i would hate to have the built in work against me especially after obsessing so much (LOL) not to mention the expense.
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Dytecture, I wonder if I may impose on you. I loved your drawing for the fireplace. What would you suggest if I wanted to do a full wall of built ins?
    Thanks!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    12 years ago
    Hi Ann, just so happen I did an option with more storage above, I think a wall of built-ins could be beautiful and give you a clean look. I don't suggest any open shelving. TV can be hidden in the middle section.
  • ann
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thank you so much!! so basically it would be cabinets? our house is fairly traditional, would that be too contemporary? If we wanted to do open shelving, would it work?