ceylona

Looking for clever ideas to make this air return less of an eye sore!

ceylona
10 years ago
It couldn't be in a more difficult location, centered over nothing and smack in the midway of a two story wall. It's currently painted the same color as the wall, which camouflaged nothing. Pretending it's not there is Not working for me, though I try and try. Is there a clever way to divert the eye?

Comments (91)

• printesa
    10 years ago
    You have a lovely room. Love the cabinet you have there. Would you consider moving the TV to the wall where you have the paintings now or on the opposite wall? I would have a large painting above that mantle. Also, the idea with large paintings on the wall with the air vent is really good.
  • morish
    10 years ago
    get a wallunit as tall as the bottom of the vent(to hide it) & put your tv in the wallunit
    and your art above your fireplace. Done!
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! have a grand plan to help the TV and the fireplace live happily together:
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kelli, the dog in the picture is a great dane. She's really tall and skinny which gives her very much a greyhound look! You cannot see the big brown zebra rug in either picture, but its like camouflage for her!
  • PRO
    Kelli Richards Interiors
    10 years ago
    ceylona, sorry I am a bit confused, you want to do this above the fireplace?
  • PRO
    Kelli Richards Interiors
    10 years ago
    Awwwe, that is my second favorite dog! honestly! wow I am jealous ;)
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh, BTW, there are only two walls in this room. The side opposite the paintings is open to the dining/kitchen, and the back is open staircase and entry. There is a walkway with railing above. If I put the TV against the art wall, there would have to be seating between the living and dining spaces, which to me would make the individual spaces less open and smaller feeling. Would make a better view of the tv from the kitchen, however!
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    yes, Kelli, the barn door above the mantel
  • morish
    10 years ago
    tv will cheapen the mantel/fireplace area. needs a rustic mirror
  • PRO
    Kelli Richards Interiors
    10 years ago
    I think you should definitely explore moving the tv to the other wall and the art above the fireplace...just measure the sofa to see how much space you would have to walk by from the kitchen. You have a very beautiful home all it needs is a few tweaks and it will be exceptional.
  • jpp221
    10 years ago
    To draw attention away from it, hire Chippendale dancers to stand naked nearby.

Or, try putting something BIG and not-wall hugging or air-obstructing in front, like some huge old architectural salvage (big old shutters? Some big old grate?) centred on the wall.

It will take time to find the right thing. Until then you'll have to go with the Chippendales.
    ceylona thanked jpp221
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Aw man. nobody likes the barn door idea . I'm broken hearted. I was so excited about the prospect.
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've wanted a sliding barn door SOMEWHERE and there was just no good place.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    I like the barn doors and they go with the fireplace. However, you would need something larger since this is a two stories room. I have a similar problem with my fireplace (two stories high), so I know it can be challenging.
  • PRO
    DreamBuilders Home Remodeling
    10 years ago
    One of the reasons the vent sticks out so much is because the high ceilings make the eye wander and there is not enough depth on the wall to create a focal point. So the vent has become the focal point. You have to create a stronger focal point or take the vent away in order to address this issue. Depending on your budget, you have a number of alternatives. If you want to invest a little more, you can have the vent relocated and build a drywall ledge across the length of wall to balance the room, give it more depth, and create a focal point for the eye. You could also try a linear diffuser, which would add a design element as well. Here is a link: http://www.houzz.com/linear-diffuser. If you have a more modest budget, floating shelves can help bring the eye down and create a focal point. Good luck!
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thank you Printesa for liking my barn doors, lol. What if, above the barn doors, we go with something like this 6 ft tall mirror? It reminds me of branches, and I've mentioned I love branches....Brings the outdoors in.

I still really like the floating shelves idea. for the art wall. I've been playing with the idea of three or more climbing the wall rather than the symmetrical version, and I love the idea of not having to tear open any walls. My husband will love it if I don't ask him to move the TV (at least not this year... I promised him, "yes, I'm sure that's where I want it, dear").
  • PRO
    Kelli Richards Interiors
    10 years ago
    ceylona, it's not that I don't like the barn door idea, it's just that I don't think it would add any visual interest to the space. I like your mirror but it would be way too much to have barn doors plus that above it. Maybe just the mirror (but then you would have to move the tv) The floating shelf Idea is a cheap way to solve the vent problem, of course, but again, it is not practical to put stuff up there as you will not be able to reach it and it will just collect dust. Also adding more accessories to that wall will compete with the fireplace which should be the focal point of the room.
  • PRO
    Kelli Richards Interiors
    10 years ago
    I understand your husband does not want to move the tv but from a design perspective, it would be best. In fact if you get rid of one of the sofas and find 2 armchairs to compliment the sofa and place them in front of the fireplace with the tv in a low unit on the large wall, it would still keep the space open to the kitchen and place a large piece of artwork above the fire place which will bring everyone's attention to that area.
  • Cristin DiGilio
    10 years ago
    A cheaper way to go may be juat a grate that would typically be used under a deck. I've actually picked up some gold and silver metal grating from lowes that I was going to frame and use as art. There are many different designs and with a simple trim framing the "art " would be functional, allowing air to flow , as well as serve as a statement piece. Good luck on whatever you chose. ;)
    ceylona thanked Cristin DiGilio
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hmm, I had not considered the idea of armchairs rather than a sofa when I decided against the TV on the large wall. I will have to give that a lot of thought. I want the room to be beautiful and I know that the TV is not optimal where it is, but I could not see a way around it at the time. Thank you for the suggestion, Kelli.
  • Lidia
    10 years ago
    This one is easy! Get a large metalwork piece of art and cover the grate with a part of it.
  • PRO
    Kelli Richards Interiors
    10 years ago
    Your welcome Ceylona. I am just here to offer you suggestions as do for my clients but ultimately, you are the one living in the space, so you must go for the design you feel the most comfortable with and that you will love :)
  • cindyguent
    10 years ago
    Great room now that we can see how it all plays out. Still agree with someone who said you need much larger, taller lamps, possibly black bases with shades that have a design, set on more substantial end tables. There would be no reason for anyone to look up at the vent with more interest at eye level. Or, with your love of plants, how about an indoor tree? I have a gorgeous coffee tree that's about 9ft tall I would love to give you. I keep cutting the top off and it keeps growing coffee beans!
  • jpp221
    10 years ago
    A little hurt here that my Chippendales comment didn't go over better than it did...

But now that I've seen more photos of the room, some thoughts:

- instead of floating shelves, consider picture rails (ledges). I find propping things on the shelves a bit contrived. I'd just look at whatever's there (plates? what?) and think that it was staged, because obviously no one's going to take anything off that shelf. Also, anything else (anything decorative) will look tiny on such a big wall. But with a picture rail, you can put (a) BIG piece(s) of art, and fill the wall. And because the art is not flush on the wall, the air return can still do its job.

- or, consider bookshelves that go way up high. The vent will be lost on the back wall of one of the shelves (I admit, this solution troubles me a bit--would it create a competing focal point to the fireplace, which is what you want to be the star?)

And finally, not that you asked, but on the fireplace (which is lovely), I find the mantle a bit too separated from the firebox. I'd be tempted to paint the section above the stone and below the mantle a darker colour, to join the two up.

...and get a Chippendales dancer anyway. Just 'cuz I said so.

PS send "after" pics.
  • aniawoj
    10 years ago
    Have you considered painting inside the vent (I.e., the duct itself) the same color as the wall? That should get rid of the darkness visible inside the vent and make it a lot less noticeable. Btw, LOVE the barn doors!
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Cindyguent, thank you! I PROMISE, I'm working on nice beefy end tables and lamps, and some gorgeous pillows with lots of color! I did have a large tree there to hide that vent, and unfortunately I hated what it did to the space. It was just awkward. The room really just wanted some space betwen the sofa and the secretary, and I couldn't deny it..
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    aniowaj, I don't think that would help. The darkness is the shadow under the slats, not behind them, in this case. Thank you though!
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Jpp221, I think your chippendale comment just fell on bad timing....I was just having my barn door vision crushed, and your referral to "it" made me think you were meaning the barn doors or the TV....I had forgotten we were even discussing the vent by that point, lol. I love your suggestion about painting the under- mantel. I really wish it had been placed slightly lower, but the beast weighs about 250lbs and I hadn't the heart to ask them to do it over....

As for the chippendale dancer, I think he might be of better use in a different room. ;)
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You Know, Cristin, the framing you bring up might be the secret....If I bought a decorative grate and FRAMED it, and another different pattern to balance the other side, it could really look like art. The the question is how to size them or decorate around them to make them look like they should be where they are.
  • PRO
    ARCHITECTURAL GRILLE
    10 years ago
    We make custom perforated decorative grilles & panels in a variety of materials (including metals, recycled aluminum & reclaimed woods) & finishes...and we're a 3rd generation family owned business located in Brooklyn, NY.

I have attached a photo of a large custom reclaimed wood piece we designed for a client recently that included several square panels joined together onsite by the contractor. These were offset from the wall using 2" posts to create a shadow effect with the sun throughout the day. You could create your own design or use one of ours, making sure that the openess of the pattern was suitable for the air flow distribution of your existing HVAC unit, the most cost effective method would be a plywood or mdf if you like the "organic burnt" look of the pressed wood product being laser cut. Also have attached a few more creative ideas for decorative panels that can be turned into wall art as well!

You can find the full range of our standard perforated grille patterns/designs we offer on our website: http://www.archgrille.com/perforated_grilles.php?category=Perforated Grilles

Feel free to stop by our showroom/factory at 42 Second Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11215 to check out our grille styles in person, we're open Monday - Friday 8am-4pm.

Hopefully we can help you out on your project - thanks for your consideration!

Architectural Grille
    http://www.houzz.com/pro/archgrille/__public
  • orangecamera
    10 years ago
    @Architectural Grille, wow! Beautiful work :)
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    Have you considered *"climbing men wall sculpture"
    (credit *carolins for original submission to another poster)
    Climbing Man Wall Sculpture · More Info
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    or a large piece (something substantial)of art or triptych (as seen in reference pic)
    which would distract the attention away form the vent
    A Modern Loft · More Info
  • Brittany Bennett
    10 years ago
    You could try a bolder piece of art work to distract from the vent. You should check out the ipad app called ARTtwo50. Basically if you take a photo of your wall the app uses the current wall color to match up original paintings so you can actually see the paintings on your wall. It's pretty awesome because there's countless options. I hope this helps!
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love your work architectural grille! Is the reclaimed one the headboard? A bold full size wall grill above the sofa would surely compete with my fireplace, but I'm still considering small size grill solutions. Either way, I sure can invision wonderful things you can do with reclaimed wood for my fireplace wall, perhaps!

Anne dee, those climbing n=men are cute as can be...Not having an easy time picturing them in my space, though. How would you tackle it? hang the stings over the vent? Or have the climbiing guys on the vent with strings above?

Brittany, checking out that app! But I'm still hesitant to give up my current art, which I love.

Anne Dee, I wonder if the family with the modern loft is disgusted with their vent, too?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I think with regards to the vent you need to forget about it: in other words don't stressss what you can't/won't fix.
    i echo decoenthusiaste's first post with regards to the art being too lightweight.
    You need something more substantial over the sofa to take the eye away from the vent
    You need to improve the lighting. A large standing tripod lamp and a taller plant would better balance the high ceilings.
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OK. I relent. I will look into bolder art. Where would you place the tall plant and the tripod?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    moving on..
    See inspiration pic for the FP
    You mentioned camouflaging TV over the FP
    White Lake · More Info

the style of tripod lamp in the pic would look nice in yr space
    White Lake · More Info
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I would put the plant on the opposite end of the sofa but not the same height as the lamp.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    a lamp similar to the pic
    Shinto Tripod Floor Lamp · More Info
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    a plant similar to the one in the reference pic. to balance the window on the other side of the sofa.
    Also note the large art.
    I am NOT suggesting this art pic necessarily but it is a visual as to how a large pieces of art + plant can distract from the over head vent
    NY Townhouse · More Info
  • n247080
    10 years ago
    I have a similar problem. You have three choices. 1. Live with it. 2. pay the air vent guy to relocate it or what I did, 3. Put a long wood carving over it to allow air flow, cover the vent from the naked eye, and center the dilemma on the wall. Mine is a bit more rustic and ethnic than my style, but I've morphed to make it fit. Then I created a cluster of other things below it. i.e mirror, paintings, plant holder, etc. let you mind go wild here. keeping the lower items ultimately spaced out wider. sigh. is this an intentional mean thing done by builders who don't like their job? Or, is it just plain stupidity and inconsideration?
    ceylona thanked n247080
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    n247080, would love to see a picture if you have one?

Anne Dee that TV camouflaging door thing is exactly the sort of thing I have in mind. I like the lamp very much, but I had a tallish tree in that spot balancing the window, and it really did not work there. I think it's because I have the secretary further to the left, and it begs for an empty space between it and the sofa. The tree looked like I was lining things up against the wall....too cluttered. I have a largish plant sitting on the right side of the secretary that offers height balancing the window, but it's not close enough to the vent to bring the eye down.
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    That's the problem sometimes when we don't have a clear view of the complete space.
    But we try our best!!
  • ceylona
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It is limiting for sure! I'm learning to supply several pictures, lol
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    hopefully more people will join in to help you solve yr dilemma!!
  • Melissa E
    10 years ago
    I immediately wanted to suggest flipping the cover so that the slats point upward as I see that someone early in the conversation did- I think it would make a difference.....maybe enough that you don't feel like you need to do anything else. Have you tried this?
  • PRO
    It's a Beautiful World!
    10 years ago
    Hi Ceylona, you have a great space to display art! If you are considering larger art pieces, we happen to have a set of two vertical images that might work with your colors. Or check out our page for more art and color ideas. You can order our prints in any size, on canvas, paper, acrylic or metal. If you order before 11/15/2013, please use discount code JAEPJJ for 20% off print price... Raisa
    Living Spaces No 1, by Ben & Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info

Living Spaces No 2, by Ben & Raisa Gertsberg, fine art print · More Info
  • Karenmo
    8 years ago

Hello Ceylona,

What did you finally do about that huge wall with the oddly placed ventilation grille? I am dying to find out, now that it has been over three years. (I came across this thread in searching for guidance on my own ventilation duct/art wall challenge.) If you just sold the house and moved on, it is OK to tell us! But I am guessing many others like myself would lover to see the photos of your solution.

And FWIW, you have a great space for hanging mobile-type art if you are so inclined. We have done that in our places with high ceilings and it is so fun, especially with the dynamic factor of occasional sculptural motions with air movements (which most are designed to emphasize).

• katiesdance
    7 years ago

If nothing else works just put a frame around it and call it a day