tena_miller22

new house build

tena miller
last year

It's a long story, it started with a house that I was buying, I had everything picked out, cabinets flooring etc , My buyer backed out, i was unable to buy the house I wanted. It worked out for the better. I found a great 5-acre lot, the best build site is on a mesa overlooking the canyon. I found a great house plan for the site, and modified it for me.

It is more of a modern design. The problem is I am drawn to the thing I had already picked out. Can anyone help me figure out if the things that I had picked out could work in this design or be modified? I am attaching the house plan, the view on my lot . And the furnishing I had picked out for the other house, can I make this work for this house?

Comments (19)

• tena miller
    Original Author
    last year

I used the same flooring in my house in Santa Fe 7 yrs ago, to get a better idea

• res2architect
    12 months ago
    last modified: 12 months ago

The photos look modern; the drawings look like the the 60's and the flooring looks like barn salvage. You need a consistent theme or overall design idea — what architect's like to call a "parti"; then choose materials to support and reinforce it.

tena miller thanked res2architect
  • Mrs Pete
    12 months ago

Random thoughts:

- Love the tile. Hate the flooring; flooring should be more simple /more of a background item ... this floor boasts too many colors. Looking at these few design choices, I think you're drawn to multiple colors /busy patterns ... don't go overboard with these; rather, choose your favorite and pair it with something simple /a place for the eye to rest.

- I'd flatten the front /eliminate the small, no-reason indent.

- I like houses that share a foyer between the family entrance and the front door, and it happens so seldom!

- I like that you have the washer/dryer on an exterior wall for fire safety.

- I'd widen the utility room by a single foot ... and create a full wall of floor-to-ceiling shelves. So much storage this could be! Better yet, add 2' and have closed cabinet storage underneath /shelves above. Then add a pass-through between the utility room and the pantry.

- And you don't have loads of storage in this house ... I'd like to see a small linen closet and a broom closet.

- I'm split between thinking the study is appropriately oriented vs. thinking the doors should open towards the foyer. If the doors go towards the foyer, the study would be more private ... but if you keep the doors "as is", the study is closer to the bathroom /could more easily be a bedroom, if needed. And the coat closet is better located "as is". Of course, it's not ideal as a bedroom because it opens into the living room /is not at all private towards the bathroom.

- Do you have a window over the kitchen sink? I think you'd want one.

- This kitchen is modest in size ... I'd go with a range rather than a cooktop and a separate oven.

- I'd like to see the living room jutted out just a bit more so you could have another window on the "side wall". Light from two different directions is always nicer.

-The master bathroom is very cramped ... you don't have space for a separate tub and a shower, as it makes the toilet too cramped and you have a miniscule sink. Choose the a shower alone OR a shower-over-tub. I don't think what you have here could even pass code.

- The hallway leading to the smaller bedroom looks cramped ... will you be able to bring furniture down that hallway?

- I would fip-flop the hall bath (move the sink and toilet to the wall shared with the study) so it could have two doors ... one into the second bedroom /one in to the hallway.

tena miller thanked Mrs Pete
  • tena miller
    Original Author
    12 months ago

I agree, the preliminary plan is being modified, in the master bath the corner shower is going away, and will be a combined clawfoot tub and shower. As for the oven that can not be changed I already bought the oven, there is a window over the sink and to the right of the sink the whole rest of that wall is windows to the ceiling the back of the dining area thru the living area is windows to the ceiling, and also in the master bedroom windows to the ceiling. Another thing I didn't tell you, I am 58 and live alone with my dogs. As for the flooring, I am still thinking about it is not actually as busy as it looks in the picture. I had it in my other house see attached pic. I f not this wood, then another wood I have more samples coming. But a natural product is a must, and light wood is out

• tena miller
    Original Author
    12 months ago

also looking at other cabinet options, my builder has a cabinet maker I am going to see what he can come up with

• PRO
    Juxtaposed Interiors
    12 months ago

Hello!

I would suggest starting a HOUZZ or pinterest board to collect your thoughts. Once you have a handful of saved pictures you will start to see a consistent theme of your tastes. i would then work from those pictures to design the interior. Yes it is ideal for the interior style to match the expertior style-however that is not always possoble to do. I wouke scratch the original otpions and start fresh!

good Luck!

samantha crow

• Mrs Pete
    12 months ago

in the master bath the corner shower is going away, and will be a combined clawfoot tub and shower.

Think that through ... clawfoot tubs are lovely, but they are more difficult to clean, as you must reach between the tub and the wall ... and a shower over a clawfoot tub requires a large, all-the-way-around shower curtain that's cumbersome and likely to spill water.

But a natural product is a must, and light wood is out
    In a perfect world your floor would be similar to the dirt in your area.

LOVE the dog! Its face is so like my Pitsky's! With dogs plural, you'd be wise to design spaces for them ... do you crate? Where will their beds go? Do you need a doggie door? A fenced space for them? Where will their food be stored? Where will they eat?

A rule: Land first, floorplan second, design elements like tile and flooring details last.

• dan1888
    12 months ago

This house will be about the view. 5' x 6' windows along the main view area aren't going to maximize the view. If you want to do site framed fixed windows i" go with the insulated glass commonly available for 8' door walls. Triple glazing may be preferred. . . .Change the double sink to a single. . . .Look at European Oak flooring. It's popular and many sources have a range of engineered versions available. Link.

• chispa
    12 months ago

You are 58 and doing a clawfoot tub/shower combo in the master bath?

I would do as large a shower as possible in the master, with a low threshold and if you must have a tub, put a standard tub/shower in the guest bathroom.

We all plan to stay healthy and mobile for ever, but stuff happens and you want to make sure you can continue to stay in your house as long as possible.

• LH CO/FL
    12 months ago

Is that plan designed for areas with a snow load? Butterfly roofs need special drainage plans to prevent ice dams. Has that been engineered?

• tena miller
    Original Author
    12 months ago

Yes

• tena miller
    Original Author
    12 months ago

60x29 , i little smaller but i like the low sides, I will use it in the master as long as I can , with walk in shower in the other bathroom as plan B

• tena miller
    Original Author
    12 months ago

i have the land 5 acres, next step is road up to build site, well and septic. Was just trying to figure out flooring options, the builder wants to do slab, and trying to find real wood that could be glued in my climate , which my wood could .

• tena miller
    Original Author
    12 months ago

what do you think about these, engineered hardwoods?

• User
    12 months ago

You need to just STOP and get a better plan in advance. Both from an architect for the basic structure, and from an interior designer for the finishes selections. You aren't building what you think you are building here. This is not aging in place friendly, or style cohesive.

• chicagoans
    12 months ago

When you reconfigure your master bath, can you place the door so that it's not across from the toilet? That way you won't have a direct view of the toilet when the door is open.

• tena miller
    Original Author
    12 months ago

she is redoing the master bath , the architect that is!

• User
    12 months ago

Forget the wet room with the freestanding tub if you are redoing the master. That is just the worst idea ever invented.

Sponsored