mary_orchid90

32-33 inch stainless steel sinks - Nantucket, Kraus or Ruvati ?

Mary Orchid
last year

Hi everyone,

I am looking for a stainless steel undermount sink to go inside 36 inch cabinet in the kitchen. I see Kraus and Ruvati have good reviews and they are under $500. I went to local kitchen supplies store and they sell Nantucket for around $1000. Few reviews are available for Nantucket sinks, I wonder if they are much better than Kraus or Ruvati. I'd appreciate your feedback. Thanks !

Comments (18)

• lucky998877
    last year

I have 2 Kraus stainless sinks, love them!

• vinmarks
    last year

I have 2 stainless Kraus sinks as well. They have been great.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

You can undermount a 36" sink into a 36" cabinet, no matter what the sink manufacturer says. Throw away their provided clips and strap the sink in place please.

The sinks you're considering are all fine.

• Mary Orchid
    Original Author
    last year

@M Miller

Thanks for your comment. Here is what I found:

Kraus Kore Workstation Dual-mount 33-in x 22-in Stainless Steel Single Bowl 2-Hole Workstation Kitchen Sink with Drainboard

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kraus-Kore-33-in-x-22-in-Stainless-Steel-Single-Bowl-Drop-In-or-Undermount-2-Hole-Commercial-Residential-Kitchen-Sink-All-in-One-Kit-with-Drainboard/1000957418?irclickid=3E0V-4WRkxyNWY70Pm0w2xFkUkAWwN1vUXRSxw0&irgwc=1&cm_mmc=aff--c--prd--mdv--gdy--all--0--78091--0

· Offset drain

· HEAVY-DUTY 16 GAUGE STEEL

· Depth 9 inch

Veniso 16 Gauge Stainless Steel 33 in. Single Bowl Undermount Workstation Slope Bottom Offset Drain Kitchen Sink

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ruvati-Veniso-16-Gauge-Stainless-Steel-33-in-Single-Bowl-Undermount-Workstation-Slope-Bottom-Offset-Drain-Kitchen-Sink-RVH8591/316969665

· Bowl Top to Bottom Depth (in.) 10

· 16 GAUGE STAINLESS STEEL: Premium T-304 Grade (18/10 Chromium/Nickel) will never rust or stain.

· Drain locations – Left

Nantucket – 2 options available, there is one which has offset drain. I believe the one I saw at the local store also had offset drain selling for $1K.

https://directsinks.com/products/32-pro-series-rectangle-single-bowl-undermount-sink-and-accessories

https://directsinks.com/products/nantucket-sinks-offset-double-bowl-prep-station-small-radius-undermount-stainless-sink-with-accessories-sr-ps-3219-os-16

• M Miller
    last year
    last modified: last year

Out of those, I'd cross out the 2 Nantucket sinks you linked. The first Nantucket sink does not have a corner drain, while the Kraus and the Ruvati do. A corner drain is an advantage. The second Nantucket sink you linked is a 2-bowl sink - was that the link you meant?

As I mentioned, I do not like a sink that is 10" deep, which is what the Ruvati is - once you add the countertop thickness to that of about 1-1/2", you are almost a foot deep. That is hard on the back to be reaching down that far to the floor of the sink. If you will have a disposal, there might be a problem with its drainage when the sink is that deep; it depends on where your plumbing outlet is under the sink.

The Kraus sink you linked slopes from 8-1/2" to 9" deep which I would prefer (the Kraus' dimensions are on a linked pdf on that website page under "Dimensions Guide").

I am not a fan of the Workstation sinks, though they are very popular. The Workstation ledge cuts into the usable space of the sink, though not by much, but I'd rather not. And to me, the accessories get in the way of actually using the sink. I prefer my cutting board to be solidly on the counter so that I can apply pressure when I need to. If you want a dish drying rack across the sink, you can get one on Amazon that rolls up when not in use, and they're inexpensive, and come in several sizes. That is just MHO, as many people love their Workstation sinks and like using the cutting board across the sink.

• vinmarks
    last year

I don't understand the point of the offset drain? My Kraus sinks do not have offset drains but they have sink grids. When i use my sink I usually have things off to each side and wash in the center of the sink. The offset drains would drive me nuts. I also prefer a deeper sink.

• Merrylawn
    last year

I have a 33" Kraus sink, center drain with grid and a Kraus faucet. 16 guage. I LOVE them both! The grid was a first for me, wasn't sure if I was going to like it but it's great! I think it keeps the sink from getting scratched and I like the look. I especially like the deep drain basket. I feel that Kraus is a quality product. I've had mine over 10 years and hope the quality is still the same today.

Good luck with your decission! I know how hard it is!

• Mary Orchid
    Original Author
    last year

@Merrylawn @vinmarks do you find it hard to clean your kraus sink because of 0 radius corners ?

• Mary Orchid
    Original Author
    last year

@M Miller thanks for your inputs, I am wondering if I want a workstation sink because of cleaning issues that people complain about (0 or tight radius cornerns). Do you have recommendations for an undermount stainless steel 16 gauge sink that doesn't have 0 radius cornerns ? Thanks

• M Miller
    last year

“if I want a workstation sink because of cleaning issues that people complain about (0 or tight radius cornerns)”

A ”tight radius” means about 10-15°, as opposed to 0° in a ”zero radius” corner. I have never heard of cleaning issues with a sink with tight radius corners. The tight radius corner is a nice compromise of still having a modern look without such an extreme corner, while not having the very rounded corners of older-style sinks.

Mary Orchid thanked M Miller
  • Beatrix
    last year

Mary, I bought this 16 ga Elkay Iconix after seeing it in a showroom. Nice corner radius (not too rounded but not too sharp) and I really liked the finish. I think the "perfect drain" (no outer flange) will be a nice feature. It's replacing a 25 year old Elkay that's actually still in great shape but I wanted a single bowl / undermount this time. I went through a local plumbing supply and it was about $900 with the bottom grid. I probably could have found it cheaper online but I wanted to utilize my local supply guy.

Mary Orchid thanked Beatrix
  • vinmarks
    last year

@Mary Orchid My sink is not zero radius. My sink is tight radius like M Miller shows. It is not hard to clean at all. My model is the KHU100-32.

• M Miller
    last year

"I don't understand the point of the offset drain? My Kraus sinks do not have offset drains but they have sink grids."

@vinmarks - in answer to your question (and anyone else looking at this thread wondering about this), my comments above were referring to an offset corner drain. The term "offset drain" means it is simply not centered in the sink; it is in the back or the corner. Your Kraus KHU100-32 does have an offset drain in the back.

There are two advantages to an offset corner drain. One advantage is that it allows you to set down in the sink dishes, large pan, tray without covering the drain. Many people (including me) prefer not to use a sink grid that you mentioned. The second advantage to a corner drain is that under the sink the drain and the disposal (if you have one) is off to one side. This allows a more uninterrupted area for storage under the sink, vs. a drain pipe down the center. So you would have more storage space under the sink, and you won't have to be always peering around one or the other side of the drain pipe to get your cleaning supplies, sponge, pail, garbage bags, etc. that you've stored under the sink.

• Lori
    last year

@Beatrix Are you happy with your 16 ga Elkay Iconix? I haven't been able to find one in my area to see it. Also, where did you purchase yours? I'm having trouble finding one in stock online.

• Beatrix
    last year

@Lori Yes, I'm very happy with the Elkay Iconix! The finish is lovely, it's quiet, not tinny. Love the "perfect drain" - I ended up eliminating my garbage disposal (although you can use one with the perfect drain if you wish) and I have no regrets with that so far. It drains very well. I got the 33" and it's huge. I do use the bottom grid.

I'm not sure where you're located but I ordered it from my local IRR Supply branch, which is headquartered in Buffalo. It was supposed to arrive within 2 weeks but it took 3 weeks and delayed my counter installation. (not a huge deal, we survived) When we were going back and forth on the delivery date, IRR confirmed with me that the sink is not backordered or discontinued or anything like that. It seemed to have been a fulfilment situation with Elkay delaying things and getting the product out their door and on the truck... (?) I would think any Elkay dealer in your area should be able to secure this sink for you, if you're ok with waiting a few weeks.

Please excuse my ugly wall, I'm still painting...

• Lori
    last year

@Beatrix I'm in Rochester, so I'll call IRR. Maybe their delivery time is shorter than my local distributors. Thanks for posting a picture! The sink, faucet and counters look beautiful together!

• PRO
    Karen Viscito Interiors
    11 months ago

@Mary Orchid I had a gorgeous Nantucket sink in my previous home. It did not have any slope to the bottom, and it was a nightmare to rinse food down the drain. I just went and looked at the specs, and noticed that in the diagram there is no slope shown, so pay attention to that when making a decision.

Sponsored