srotag_staar

New refrigerator - interior or exterior water dispenser?

Srotag Staar
last year

Need to buy a new refrigerator. We are deciding between these two models. We have always had an external water dispenser, but the French Door model that has an internal dispenser has a lot more fridge space. What do people think about interior vs. exterior dispensers? We do have small kids so the exterior dispenser is a little more convenient for them being able to fill their water without assistance and without constantly opening the fridge (and possibly leaving it open). On the other hand, more fridge space is definitely helpful for a family of 5. Appreciate any thoughts and/or insights!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-27-cu-ft-French-Door-Refrigerator-with-Ice-Maker-Fingerprint-resistant-Stainless-Steel-ENERGY-STAR/5013703269

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-25-3-Cu-Ft-Side-By-Side-Refrigerator/5001986439

Comments (21)

• typeandrun
    last year

neither!

I value fridge space over losing it to water dispenser. My kiddos carry water bottles around with them anyway

• chispa
    last year

The Sub-zero interior water dispenser doesn't take up interior space. I hate the look of exterior dispensers, so was happy to buy an interior one. Kids adapted just fine and true, these days they fill a large water bottle and keep that in their room, playroom, etc. The SZ interior dispenser does take a bit of coordination so you don't drip water, but it just takes one or tow tries to learn how to use it.

• User
    last year

I'm personally not a fan of any kind of separate dispenser that's just for drinking water. Instead, I installed a filter to the cold line of my sink faucet (under the cabinet, like this). I don't even have a separate tap for it. It was easy, inexpensive, and the filters last a long time.

• kevinande
    last year
    last modified: last year

I would say that it is a simple matter of personal preference. Manufacturers make all types of models to appeal to as many different people as possible. Get whichever model you feel best fits you and your family's needs.

• wdccruise
    last year

The French Door GE GNE27JYMFS did not perform well enough to earn a recommended rating from CR.

• dan1888
    last year

GE is owned by Haier. They do make some frigs in the US with 70-90% US parts.

You can find which on their site by looking for a flag under CLAIMS & CERTIFICATIONS for a model. You have to page down. Neither of these were made in the US.

• M Miller
    last year

Any possibility of a water delivery service instead? I.e. a separate water cooler in the kitchen? I am asking because with your family of 5, it might be worthwhile. Also, with refrigerators, the water dispenser is the most frequent thing to break. You'd also gain more interior fridge space with no water dispenser (interior or exterior), and again, with a family of 5 the extra fridge space would be worthwhile.

Edited to add: I see that the fridges you linked are "fingerprint-resistant stainless steel". Judging by the posts on this forum, "fingerprint-resistant stainless steel" has been problematic with peeling, streaking, rust spots, more peeling, and similar. It might be better for you to get regular stainless steel.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

I prefer the interior dispenser. Kids don't stay little forever ( unfortunately )

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I do not like the looks of the ice or water in the door I much prefer a nice clean look. BTW plain old stainless is the way to go.

• Belahn
    last year

I have had 2 different ones with the French door design and inside dispenser and don't think I'll go back. It is so much cleaner in appearance and not a big deal to just open the door to get water. I can't speak to the kids issue though.

• PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    last year

I've had both and I would never go back to an external water dispenser. The clean lines of a stainless steel fridge with nothing on the exterior, makes the kitchen appear more tidy and less cluttered looking.

• Susie .
    last year

Our fridge has an internal dispenser and I like it so much better. The external one sometimes dribbled down the front and I just never liked having to look at it all the time. I would prefer no dispenser over an external one.

• stm25rs
    last year

My current house has a side by side fridge with external dispenser, and I do like the convenience of it. That said, we're working on a new home build and will be doing a French door with internal dispenser. I've heard nothing but problems (both online and from friends/family) with the ice maker portion of external dispensers in French door fridges. Since we strongly prefer the overall layout of a French door vs side by side, the French door with internal dispenser wins out.

I'll also be doing an under sink water filter, so will also be able to get filtered water directly from the tap.

Other bonus for us with no external dispenser is that we collect magnets from places we travel and have started running out of magnet space on our current fridge!

We'll be going with the GE Profile PWE23KYNFS since I like the butter tray drop down storage thing it has compared to the GE (non-profle) version.

• Louise Smith
    last year

Bought my refrigerator specifically because there was no water dispenser, and the ice maker is located in the freezer where all good ice belongs.

• ci_lantro
    last year

I would not want an internal dispenser because you have to open the refrigerator door to get water. And keep it open while you fill your container. Which obviously lets the cold out and the refrig has to work overtime to keep things cold. More energy use, shorter shelf life for what is stored inside and likely sooner appliance replacement.

I opted for no water dispenser with the new fridge. More bells n whistles is more things to break.

• jaja06
    last year

Even after considering all of the “cons” listed above, we decided to get our new fridge/freezer with the external dispenser. We are a family of 6 and use it constantly. I’m personally addicted to always having a cup of ice water nearby. My main concern was the dripping, but we got some absorbent pads that fit in the tray, and that almost completely solved the dripping issue. We also do not like the drawer freezers, so ours is a side by side.

• jaja06
    last year

Definitely try to get one that has a door alarm for when the kids leave it open! And I hope our fingerprint resistant stainless fridge holds up because so far it is SO much better for cleaning than our last regular stainless fridge.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    last year

I would think freezer space would be more important than refrigerator space for a large family. And having water on the exterior will encourage you all to drink free (or cheap) water instead of buying and cooling expensive sodas, juices, etc. So you won’t need so much interior fridge space. 🙂

• Shane
    last year

We drink a lot of water and we are going with no external and will put in an in-line filter on the sink.

Sponsored