jsheph

Microwave placement Dilemma in IKEA kitchen

J S
last year
last modified: last year

I have a small kitchen and im currently trying to find a place to put the microwave. I really dont want to put it over the range, since im getting a vent hood. I'm debating between adding an additional counter and having the microwave below

or

installing a tall cabinet and having the microwave at chest height, with a trim kit. See below

Existing Kitchen

Option A

30 inch wide counter with butcher block top.Microwave will be inserted below with a trim kit

Option B

30 inch wide cabinet that goes to ceiling. This has a cabinet at top, a space for microwave and then pull out drawers below

Comments (4)

• J S
    Original Author
    last year

@herbflavor

To the right of the left of the fridge sits 15 inches of counter space before the oven. To the right of the fridge is the opening to the living room

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

I think if I had to have a micro there I’d consider the smallest little dorm size and have it sit on the counter. Adding anything on the left (A or B) seems very claustrophobic.

• H B
    last year

I don't know if I can describe it, but in our Ikea (20 year old) kitchen, I put in an upper cabinet carcase, and used over-the-fridge- doors on the top half, and put in a shelf on the bottom, and the microwave sits on the shelf (no trim kit as the shelf and microwave both stick out further than the upper cabinet).

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Sponsored