leehighbridge

I am stumped. What can be done with this dining room window ?

Lee Rozycki
last year

A picture window of our house that was built in the 70’s. 8 foot ceilings. Measurements -

Picture window - length - 51-1/2” from top of blinds to top of window sill ledge
To bottom of casing - 54”
Width - from outer edge of trim - 104”

I was thinking of doing just side panels but I really don’t like the look of a curtain rod expanding the whole length of the window. Then I was thinking a valance with side panels - but is that an outdated look?

I just don’t know what to do??? Any suggestions would be so very helpful!

Comments (113)

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Tjus

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

I decided against the panels and am looking into just a valance - maybe a flat faux Roman shade. But I will pause on that idea as I want to get the chandelier up first. I unpacked the big box and looked at directions - I do believe the medallion idea will work (I posted the video above) so I don’t have to move electrical box. So I gotta make the medallion now.

One more comment about the hutch and sideboard placement. I did switch positions and lived with it for a year. I added a big picture over the sideboard and there were candle sconces flanking. It did open up the wall. However, my conclusion and just about everyone who walked up those stairs into the dining room said the hutch needs to be at the far wall (where it is now). I agree. Believe me - no matter where you stand in that room - the china hutch looked like it was wedged like a sardine between the railing and the wall. Plus the two stair openings added to that packed space feeling. So visually it was too big for that space. At least it being placed against the far wall that piece has space around it so it can be properly seen and enjoyed! IMO. Yes, I agree it disrupts the eye as you look at that wall, however given the two options - this placement defiantly outweighs the pros and cons of the other way.

• Related Discussions

paint choice help in living/dining combo room

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm not qualified to advise you on textured paint, but as far as colour is concerned, surprisingly, red can work with a very wide range of colours. I suggest you click http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/red-sofas/nqrwns and browse to look for possibilities. A lot depends on what else you want to have in the room and whether, for instance, you're looking for a dramatic effect or a warm effect. Have fun browsing.
    ...See More

Need to make my dining area to a bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello Gopa, You can do a partition with plywood on wooden frame. Go for a door with hinges as there is no benefit of a sliding door in terms of light . What is your intent for having a openable vs sliding door. Please be aware that after making an additional room the living room will look dark and long/ narrow. You can have a transome on the door in case privacy is not much of an issue. You will however have to depend on artificial lighting in case a full partition is done. Thanks Amit Cornerstone Designs Bangalore
    ...See More

I need help on furniture arrangement for my living room

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Ria Kindly go through this diagram for zoning of spaces and arrangement of furniture for your living and dining area. Your block dimensions dosen't match the scale of the plan but I have still provided with the best possible arrangement :) Hope this helps :) Do get back if you have any doubt :) Thanks & Regards Aditi Morayya Space Design
    ...See More

I am planning to build a new home...doubts on placing staircase

Q

Comments (5)
    Dear Priya, If you could share a sketch of the room layout, you would get many suggestions easily. Questions like: Where is the entrance and the other doors and windows in the room have to be answered. The type of staircase and no.of steps will depend upon the height of the room and the furniture plans, etc.
    ...See More
  • Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

So I will pause posting for now and will post again with pics when the chandelier is up (it might be a few weeks as I can only do this in the weekends)

Thank you all for your comments. Generosity, helpfulness, caring and respect are all qualities of your greatness that you have displayed in my first post here at Houzz. I am so very grateful and appreciative of you all.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Totally understand and am glad you are taking things one step at a time. Looking forward to seeing your progress.

• happyleg
    last year

I love your window I would leave the side windows bear and put a wolven shade in the center you also have that vent on the wall on the right by the floor and you should paint that the same color as the wall

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Hi everyone!!!! I have some updated pictures for you…. As you can tell the chandelier is up - love it! Bought a rug and some trees plants flanking the china cabinet with some up lights. I’ve always wanted to showcase some of my photography so I did in the corner there.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Now onto the window. I saw this style which I think will be a nice embellishment to the window - nothing heavy but adds some color. - actually there are a few pics on this webpage that I like check it out. I do like the double pinch pleat versus a single - too plain, or the triple - too much. What are your thoughts about the valance topper? I was thinking of seeing them myself (20 working days to go before my retirement!!!! ). I do know how to sew. It’s been quite a few years but I do have the basic skills and look forward to the challenge while saving some money. It’s all about choosing the right fabric and just the right trim to make that window pop!!! IMO

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s a pic of the window again -

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Lee the chandelier looks beautiful. Did you end up moving the junction box? Or leave as is? Just curious. As to your window treatment, I suggest simple approach. Are you keeping the shade? Here I pictured a Roman shade look but in 3 panels since the window is so wide. Then mounted them right under crown molding. A simple, straight across balance could work too. Just don’t add heavy drapery. It’s all looking pretty.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I like your grouping of the 4 art pieces. Try doing a Toile fabric with black trim. Lots of options.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

This is a nice pattern and a fabric that would make up well for a valance style approach. The two color ways I liked best was the black or dark navy Lagoon and the Southseas one in a teal color, that I thought would work with your ceiling color. Reasonable price point too.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I mixed the names up sorry. The darker one is called Bluestone and the teal tone is Lagoon. Just to clear that up.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Get samples of any fabrics though because color isn’t accurate on the Internet. 😊

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Flo!!! We did not move the electrical box to the chandelier. After finding the center of the table - it was off only by like 2 inches. By the time my husband put up the new chandelier and the way the crystals hang it looked fine!

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Flo - thank you for the picture idea of the Roman shade. I like it. And I like those fabrics as well. I will definitely get a sample.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Yes I’m keeping the shade

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

No drapery panels at all

• everdebz
    last year

Lovely! seeing the opportunity for small table lamps, what about that instead of accenting with fabric? I think eye level for lamps would add, and look nice seen from your yard at night. You could repeat transitional look, recalling the awning/ stripes nearby in kitchen, not exactly, but... ?

• everdebz
    last year
    last modified: last year

Man, I just looked above and happened to see the post about my fabrics - yes for window treatment.

And with rug's enlarged pattern, a valance could have no pattern, but texture, using the ceiling color too?

• everdebz
    last year

So, I don't mind your simple shades at all. Here's a little bit of shape-

Lavish Home Set of 2 Modern Curved Openwork Lamps · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

If you're keeping dark/light items near the window, etc...

Adjust up and down easily / black finish with gold highlights is paired with a natural textured fabric shade. 32" high

Mitchell 2 Pc. Table Lamp Bonus Pack · More Info

• Amanda C
    last year

Lee, I just wanted to say this space is looking amazing! You have really transformed it so far with all the amazing ideas you’re getting on here. It is fun to see your before and afters. Flo, you’re awesome!

• everdebz
    last year

Hardly dark, but called Antiqued Brown, could be nice with ceiling's depth of color, and your furniture -

27.5" Antique Brown Mercury Glass and Oil Rubbed Bronze Metal Table Lamp · More Info

Metallic Brushstroke Napkins Set of 4, Ivory, 21"x21" · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

27.5" Hammertone Brown Mercury Glass & Oil Rubbed Bronze Metal Pot Table Lamp · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Window fabric for color? Imo, the ceiling does it wonderfully. If the room were closed off, more formal, a different thing. Want to show my saved photo of an awning - I also like little creative projects. Good 'luck' as you count down the days to retirement!!!

Bistro Style Kitchen · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

A thought for window - with lady art and chandelier, etc. - for their dressy aspects, I suppose organza has sheen/ dressy. This also has the loose-y look which is casual, like the rug, the kitchen... I'm trying to walk the line. ? ;)

hung with strands horizontal.

Cliffwood 110" Organza Fabric Window Curtain Drapery, Ecru · More Info

• everdebz
    last year

Excited to see anything that seems somewhat like your lady art, like your kitchen fabric....

The Amanda Collection Napkins · More Info

• btydrvn
    last year

The new chandelier is like a royal presence….so i would remove everything from the table and take away the tall plants in the corners…even removing the decor from the kitchen opening shelf……I like the shades you have because they are simple and architectural rather than “ fussy”…then I might add to the table in center front of the window… three elegant figurines…taking the elegant room to “ simple/exquisite”

• btydrvn
    last year

If you feel pressured to have window treatments..i would do elegant sheers with fabric that is detailed…but one color…and barely overlapping the side window frames

• btydrvn
    last year

On a wooden bar mounted as high as the crown moulding

• everdebz
    last year

Lee, just one more, cause you mention another piece of art - this seems like lady art, like wall and trim color. The deep eggplant, I doubt it - the mat is black?

Safavieh Mae Long Neck Ceramic Table Lamps, Set of 2, Taupe · More Info

Safavieh Mae Long Neck Ceramic Table Lamps, Set of 2, Dark Purple · More Info

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I am so happy the chandelier position worked out. That medallion idea scared the bejesus out of me!! Love it.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

everdebz - thank you for your suggestions and pictures!

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Here is a closeup of my kitchen window that you all see in previous pics - We had this kitchen remodeled back in 2001 when we returned living in Spain. I made/painted that window awning out of stiff sail cloth. I painted the sign too. We lived in Pomplona which borders France - those delicious French cafes was a definite influence on me!

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Anyway - here is my daily view from where I stand at the corner kitchen sink.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

I really want to put some type of plant/succulents grouping in the console table in front of window. I’m really looking forward to taking care of plants when I retire. It is a perfect window (northwest exposure) and only one in living areas of our house that I can have fun with plants.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Note - - console table is narrow!

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

So I’m debating on lamps or no lamps on console table - your thoughts???

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

I’ve always had candlestick lamps on a console table there. My previous table was way too bulky large and I sold it. This one is much narrow and I like it much better. I’ve purposely not put lamps back on the table cause I thought maybe no lamps. I don’t want to distract from the chandelier….

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

But living with it like that for 3-4 weeks, I’m missing the ambient light there at night.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

So here is the dilemma for me. What kind of lamps? Here is the criteria for selection IMO - nothing too dramatic (don’t want to distract from chandelier) slim line since table is narrow - (can’t have big drum shades) and one that will work with my plants.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

I put my old candlestick lamps back in place to give you perspective- hey - do you think I could use them - repaint and buy different shades???

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Are they too tall you think?- those are 28” to top of shade. Remember to picture a valance - id like to place the rod just under molding and the hem will reach about 16” from base of molding.

• Lee Rozycki
    Original Author
    last year

Here’s a look at the legs of table -

• Stacie Holden-Rivers
    last year

I think it you took the rod all the way to the ceiling for some drapes, it would be pretty and draw your eye up. I’m not a designer, I just really love floor to ceiling curtains.

• Stacie Holden-Rivers
    last year

Example:

• Denise Marchand
    last year

I'm coming in late on this thread, and I'm apologizing if I missed something. Your room is layering nicely and you definitely have a European style.

Window treatments only compliments the room decoration and it will never distract from the chandelier. The treatments should go from ceiling to floor and the beauty is in the details. A cornice and panels will frame the outdoors and add to the interest of the room. Here are some window treatment:

Consider this simple cotton ticking and blue instead of red in your room .

You seem adventurous to pull this one off. Natural linen valance with lace Austrian shades. There are all sorts of lace from simple to ornate like this one. Depending on natural coloring of the fabric and the detailing, it could be amazing. This would only need one special lamp in the center.

• everdebz
    last year

Hi... I saw photo without buffet lamps, and with them. Not sure I like 4 photos, and also 2 lamps near. If you have plants too, it could get 'busy'.

• arcy_gw
    last year

😍😍😍 That chandy is to die for!! You HAVE TO do something with that shade to cover it up. The vibe is all wrong for the rest of the decor!! Just a valance, wooden or cloth, would do it but it can't stay like that!! I still vote for panels to frame the sides even if you don't want the rod across the top. It will look like somethings coming yet until you finish it properly!!

https://www.blinds.com/pla/bali-cornice-wood/509895?width=36&height=60&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&utm_campaign=acqsembc-pla-bali-smartshoppingu5098953660c9019614&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=gog&utm_term=&utm_content=&&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpI_4_cXN-AIVbW1vBB1b0wY7EAQYAyABEgLNMfD_BwE

Sponsored