wes_hagman

Rocks Driveway - Don't Want Weeds!

Wes Hagman
2 years ago

I am going to be putting in a rock driveway on what is now dirt. I really really want to make sure I can best protect against weeds. Nothing annoys me more than weeds growing up through rocks and other landscape designs. Attached is a photo of where the rocks driveway will go.

When speaking with my builder who is going to be installing the rocks for the driveway, he said he typically doesn't use a barrier for weeds because he has noticed that the seeds end up just sitting on top of the barrier over time and they end up being even more intrusive than if you just were to lay the rocks down. Is this true? And does anyone have any other recommendations for preventing weeds for a project like this - whether it is pre-emergent, barriers, etc.? Also, is there a healthier alternative to Roundup that people like?

Comments (10)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Consider Chip Seal or Macadam Driveway

• Christopher CNC
    2 years ago

Yes it is true. Weed fabric under rock or gravel is useless in preventing weeds and just leads to a bigger mess down the road.

Roundup is less toxic than most pre-emergents. In this case a horticultural grade vinegar or weed torch may be a good option for keeping your gravel drive weed free. Try not to be annoyed. It's just regular maintenance like vacuuming the floor of your house.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Weeds will find a way, year after year. Consider asphalt instead.

• tozmo1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have a gravel pathway with bluestone stepping stones. Not exactly what you're doing but the same concept. My pathway has weed fabric under it. It's been in place for about 9 years. Yes, some weeds do sprout up in the gravel but they are super easy to pull up as the roots can't take hold or I just give them a spray with herbicide every couple of months, especially after a big rain that causes little seedlings to sprout.

The hardest part of maintenance for me is keeping the leaves and other tree droppings off.

I also put down Snapshot pre-emergent in Feb. That has been a real lifesaver not only for that area but also my natural area. I'm in Central NC.

I also have a rock dry creek that is under a lot of trees. It has a protective barrier under it too. Same maintenance procedure as above.

Both of these areas are bordered by natural area with mulch. I get more and heartier weeds in the mulch even though I do the same pre-emergent process. Maybe the difference is the barrier, maybe not but so far, the barriers work for me.

I used to have to spray weeds monthly before Snapshot was recommended by my landscape contractor. The first year, most of the weeds didn't appear. The second year, very few appeared. Each year, fewer and fewer. My guess is that if there is nothing to reseed, nothing will get started.

My neighbor has given up her Roundup for a 40% Vinegar, water, salt solution. It works really well. Very caustic so she wears very protective gloves or her fingers peel and burn like crazy the next day.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

We have a gravel drive and a few weeds find there way but we did not put fabric down for that same reason but did do more than one layer of gravel over the last 5 yrs. BTW asphalt is IMO the worst choice for driveways it poising the soil under it and allows no water to get to any nearby trees all in all a nasty choice

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    2 years ago

If you will be mowing near the gravel driveway, I hope your driveway will have a barrier to keep the rocks out of the mowed area. Slinging a rock with a mower can cause obvious problems. If you don't want to pay for a whole paved driveway, you might consider concrete tire stripes. AKA ribbon driveway. There's always the option of filling the middle later.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    2 years ago

We have a gravel driveway for environmental reasons such as Patricia mentioned and also because I like the look. I have pulled weeds, but that is not the best. I just received an email from a garden supply store that is offering a Sievert Gardener Weed Torch which I may get (it is Gardener's Edge-hope it is okay to mention that). A neighbor who has a brick driveway has someone who uses a torch on the weeds that come up there. Looked good to me and dispatched the weeds without poison or disrupting the gravel bed.

• Marigold
    2 years ago

I bought a weed torch for my gravel driveway, and it really didn't make any difference at all. It was satisfying to shrivel up the weeds, but they came right back. It just seemed to burn the foliage, and the roots recovered with barely a hiccup.

• missenigma
    2 years ago

Check out this video from Laura of YouTube "Garden Answer" fame. She and her husband Aaron have extensive gravel driveways on their expansive property. She made this video "How We Maintain Our Gravel Driveway and Keep it Free of Weeds!" The actual weed control discussion begins about 5 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LanQ8uz99WY

Sponsored