vmenos

vent hood with a small footprint

We are renovating our smallish NYC kitchen with 8ft ceilings. We are doing an induction cooktop in our island and need a vent hood in the ceiling. I’d like to find one with as small a footprint as possible.

The cylinder shape looks to be the smallest but it still comes down quite a bit. Do these come in different lengths? Would love a short matte black option if at all possible.

Would appreciate any and all recs and we are looking to purchase ASAP!

TIA!

Comments (11)

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago

The higher the hood is over the stove, the wider it needs to be to be as effective. As steam, smoke, etc., rise, they dissipate and spread, so it takes a wider opening to catch the same plume the farther up it travels. You'll need decide which is most important: height, spread, or function ... you can probably select two of three.

• Valerie Ramkhelawan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Function and height. I don’t think I care much how wide it is if the overhang is minimal… for ref the cooktop will be 30in.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

How about a hood that's flush with the ceiling (example: Forte VERTICE36)?

Or an island hood whose glass canopy might help make it appear less bulky (example: AKDY RH0480)?

• kaseki
    2 years ago

A canopy that does not direct the plume to the baffle gaps is a waste of material, other than for aesthetics. So assume that the actual hood in the AKDY is just the metal part in the middle. Does it overlap the cooktop?

The OP may wish to search for 'ceiling vents' or similar terms for opinions on how large and powerful a flush or nearly flush ceiling vent system has to be to capture and contain the rising and expanding plumes. A powerful hood with just slots around the periphery is likely to be very loud, although these poser ventilation schemes probably aren't actually very high flow rate.

Use of these things for ventilation when the cooking is truly minimal in temperature and/or volume of effluent may be successful, relative to, say, a microwave oven vent system.

I'll write it once more: Residential hoods are approximations to the generally efficient and effective commercial hoods. The farther they deviate from the commercial form the less effective they will be unless the air flow can be increased by enough to compensate.

Last, don't forget that no air leaves the kitchen via the hood that wasn't made up somehow, so MUA is needed at the scale of the hood system performance.

• PRO
    Rosenhaus Design Group, Inc.
    2 years ago

I am a New York City kitchen designer. Are you venting outside? If not, then the captured air is going nowhere. All that occurs is the grease may be confined. Most importantly, I repeat, most importantly: is turning it on 5 minutes before, I repeat, before you start cooking. Otherwise the air will filtrate throughout the kitchen and there is no hood that will be able to gather in the flying dirty air. There is no NYC law that says you must have a hood. If you don't fry or grill on the cooktop, you most likely don't need one. Steaming or boiling water does not necessitate a hood. Don't be hoodwinked!

• PRO
    2 years ago

Very insightful articles which all refer to venting outside.

• M
    2 years ago

Yes, venting outside is pretty crucial. Vent-a-hood makes one of the very few products that has a reasonably sized filter element and works as a viable compromise when external venting is impossible. It's big and expensive though.

Every other internally venting product is just an expensive noise maker. Very pointless to buy and you are still stuck with poor air quality and all the downsides that come with that.

• PRO
    2 years ago

M- What is model number?

• M
    2 years ago

I believe it's their ARS series: https://ventahood.com/index.php/about/innovation/ars

It gets mentioned on Houzz every so often and it's pretty much the only one that has favorable reviews. If I recall correctly, you can get it with dual filter packs for larger hood capacities

• PRO
    2 years ago

M- thank you

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

It doesn't seem like anyone on this thread other than @Rosenhaus Design Group, Inc. has lived in an apartment building in NYC...

Having said that, those cylinder hoods are even more useless than a recirculating hood that is in a canopy shape - at least if you change the charcoal filter in a timely manner, you can capture some of the smoke with a canopy shape with appropriate depth and width. The cylinder is a very expensive (and kinda fugly under the guise of being "cool", but that is just MHO) ceiling ornament.

Sponsored