bonandlee

Fireplace Update Stalled Due to Indecision, Advice Needed

bonandlee
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

4 months, 100+ hours of online research viewing 10,000+ photos, trips to every tile store within 50mi add up to one thing... Analysis Paralysis!

We removed our nasty behemoth of a brick fireplace and though we have an updated style in mind, it's been difficult to visualize. My spouse is helpful (in telling me what he doesn't like) but ultimately, within reason, the decisions are mine. The main obstacle is that I change my mind (too?) often. Time for an intervention!

We are not looking to spend a fortune; this is an update rather than a remodel.

In my Ideabook here: Finalists - Fireplace Reno, I've listed ideas, pics of the old fireplace, drawings, inspiration photos, etc.

Lastly, we are capable DIYers with a full woodworking shop in the basement.

THANK YOU for any advice, it is truly appreciated.

BC

Design Must-haves:

Neutral tones

Budget <10k

Stone and wood mix

Plenty of display shelving

Oak Flooring, mid-tones to match existing.

Design Dilemmas:

- TV above or adjacent to the gas fireplace? Hubby says adjacent, I say above; neither is a deal-
breaker. We rarely light a fire, so high temps/TV is not an issue. TV height will also not be an issue
for us.

- Stacked stone... A full wall, 3/4 wall, or only @ fireplace?

Comments (8)

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

I love the picture with the alaska gray. The one opposite it called sierra bluestone is pretty too. I think those two pictures are the best of any you have on there.

bonandlee thanked cat_ky
  • bonandlee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, CoastRoad, for the advice. What do you think about this rendering from a 3D program that I had no idea how to use. Shelves are a must since I have many interesting artifacts to display. The actual length of the wall is a bit shorter but I couldn't figure out how to shrink it on the CAD program.

Thanks again!

BC

Finalists - Fireplace Reno · More Info

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    3 years ago

That looks nice! What program did you use? Maybe I can import it and scale it.

bonandlee thanked COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
  • bonandlee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, thanks for the help. So who is it I'm actually conversing with? :)

Here is the URL to my (free) SketchUp acct. I made it public so hopefully, you'll have access. If not, give me a shout and I'll do some more research on how to do this.

https://app.sketchup.com/app?hl=en#. 

If you're able to make the changes, would you please "save as" a new sketch? It took me close to 8 hours, lots of frustration, and a few choice words to figure out how to do what I did!

Again... thanks, you're awesome!

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    3 years ago

Hi - This is Tom Parks. I use SketchUp almost exclusively for design work. You can contact me directly at tom@coastroadonline.com . I'll need to follow up with you to verify some dimensions to scale it correctly, and I won't disturb your original drawing. I'll probably get to it sometime next week when I'm in the office.

• bonandlee
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Tom, you are an amazing person to help out like this. I noticed that the link I posted above cannot be accessed when not logged in to my acct, even though I made it public?
    You’d know more about to handle this than I, so if you’d like to advise me (on that, as well)...!
    Enjoy the remaining wknd.

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    3 years ago

Yep. I get nothing. Can you download and email your drawing to me? Or share it from another cloud-based program like Dropbox or Google Drive?

bonandlee thanked COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
Sponsored