lmenge07

Niche Schluter not mitered - gap between sections - is this okay?

Lisa M
3 years ago

Hello, we are in the process of bathroom renovation. Tile work and grout were completed this week. I am surprised that the schluter trim around the niche was not mitered, or at least cut flush. There is grout between the schluter pieces which makes the gap even more noticeable. In fact, that is the situation for all the outside edge corners of the shower, which are lined with the schluter.

Should I ask that this niche section be re-done so eliminate the gap between the schluter pieces? It is the most obvious. If so, should the corners be mitered? Thanks for the advice.

Comments (17)

• lucky998877
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We just installed a backsplash with Schluter edge but ours is thinner. Yours should have been installed with a square piece that connects the sides? We mitered ours but it required a brand new $70 aluminum blade. We tried cutting Schluter with a wet saw and it wasn't totally clean, even after using a metal file. The aluminum blade gave us absolutely perfect cuts. I don't think yours looks bad, but mitered would look cleaner...and would require a lot of demo and extra work.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    3 years ago

its one of those details that normally would be spelled out in your "Estimate" and then fine tuned in your contracts detailed tile scope.. What am I paying for and what exactly am I getting...

• Michele Rodecker
    3 years ago

Mine is done the same way, and my tile contractor is meticulous. He asked if I wanted the Schluter corner pieces because they are not always stocked in every color/style. I personally did not want to wait for a special order, but it's a personal choice. Doesn't look bad to me.

• PRO
    AMD Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

No, that’s wrong. Schluter sells corner pieces that should have been used.

• PRO
    Atherton Design
    3 years ago

It’s not “wrong”. It likely didn’t result in failure of your waterproofing. It was a choice your contractor made. However, I agree with Mint Tile. There should have been a discussion before installation with your designer on how this particular detail should have been done.

• Rachel L
    3 years ago

Non-professional here, but I'm super particular. Looking on the bright side, at least the gaps are even and symmetrical. Given a choice I wouldn't have gone this route, but it actually doesnt look that bad. It could just as well have been a design consideration to tie into the horizontal patterning in your tile.

• Kim Koury
    last year

Mine look the same and I hate it. Can anything be done at this point??

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    last year

Has that "Im outside of my skillset but im affordable"look to it.

Who did you hire? how did you qualify them? how has the permitting and inspections process gone? what kind of guarantee of industry standards is in your Contract?

lots to ponder. Im doubting they have the skill to do bttr a second time unfortunately.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    last year

paint grout LOL

• Kim Koury
    last year

Update: the contractor has offered to fix it. He said they can redo the niches and replace with Schluter that better blends with title and cut at 45’s. I am concerned they aren’t qualified enough to do the job and properly demo it without ruining the waterproofing. What are everyone’s thoughts? How easy it is to fix this? I’m debating just leaving it and asking for a partial refund.

• Kim Koury
    last year

*blends better with the TILE

• Kim Koury
    last year

However then I will have two different color Schluters since the window and frame are black

• cpartist
    last year

Kim as I mentioned in your thread, I'd be more concerned with how he's going to not ruin the waterproofing.

• Kim Koury
    last year

He said he’s only going to remove the Schluter not the tiles. I didn’t realize that was possible?🤷🏻‍♀️

• PRO
    robbrook
    10 months ago

I’d love to know how this was resolved as I have the exact same problem with my bathroom remodel which is still in progress. Niche looks awful and trimmed with schluter which isnt mitered.

• Tallulah B
    10 months ago

I like the idea of painting the little bit of grout visible that you don’t like the look of, is there a special kind of paint for this?

Sponsored