webuser_745185586

Porcelain vs. Quatz countertops? Thoughs??

Hi there + hope your day is going well!:)

I have a quick question & am hoping someone can provide some feedback...

I'm remodeling my kitchen & going back/forth between quartz and porcelain countertops.

The look I'd like is a white "marble" w/ a bit of gray veining.

Here's my dilemma: I have a really sunny south-facing kitchen window + everything I've put near it (e.g. plastic dish racks) has discolored. I really worry about white quartz discoloring + turning yellow.

For this reason I'm really attracted to porcelain countertops since they are UV resistant.

In both Canada + Europe (both places I've lived), I see that this option is quite popular. However, in the U.S. more people opt for quartz.

Is there a reason for this? Do porcelain countertops either not look as nice or chip easily? And has anyone w/ white quartz countertops had any issues with discoloration?

Any feedback is appreciated!:)

Comments (17)

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

following. I have the same exact questions about these products!

• krissie55
    3 years ago

This may help. "It's a little known fact but direct sunlight will fade any brand of quartz, and Silestoneis no exception. In just a few weeks of exposure dark colors will lighten and whites willbegin to turn yellow. The pigments used to add color to the resin don't mix well with UV rays"

• Hillside House
    3 years ago

I haven’t had any yellowing of my Caesarstone Organic White quartz counters, which were installed 3 years ago. I do have two large windows along that wall with no blinds or shades, but the windows are East-facing, not South. I’m not sure how much that might affect it.

• Mom
    3 years ago

I looked at porcelain, some slabs of which were absolutely stunning, but ultimately didn’t get it because it’s quite a challenge to find a really experienced fabricator for it and my understanding was that a highly skilled fabricator is critical for that material.

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

I have Silestone and have not had any fading! Installed in 2008 and is a very dark Silestone. Only a portion of it is under a window, so we would surely notice if that portion had faded! The window faces west.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I've heard that the dark don't fade - It's the light counters as the resin can yellow in the light.

• rebasheba
    3 years ago

Not really your question, but is UV window film an option? You would want to research the longevity. Emily Henderson has a detailed post on installation on her website.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO neither get a nice white polished granite it will not change color and is close to bullet proof but that said the sun can do damage to many other surfaces in a kitchen so invest in some solar shades that let you keep the view but control UV and heat, I do not like window films since on a cloudy day I want all the light I can get .

• User
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

the trouble is not everybody likes granite. I hate it. all of it.

too bad about yellowing resin in manmade quartz though. it's what I was planning, but my kitchen can get some harsh sun. I suppose I will be looking into other products.

as far as UV window stuff: some of us don't have it in the budget to swap out our perfectly functional windows when updating a kitchen. besides, it's like sunscreen: it only cuts down on the harmful rays, but not 100%. not everybody remembers to close their blinds every day (me). I had tinted windows in my last condo (south facing), and we often closed the curtains, but not every day. the carpet and artwork in that room faded after a few years.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

Agree - I have yet to find a granite that I like. I dislike all of them. I also haven't found a quartzite I like. To make matters worth, I'm not fond of quartz as I feel the marble look a likes tend to look fake to me. I'm pulling the trigger and getting real marble and will deal with the etching. Otherwise, if you can do a dark stone, I love soapstone and that's just about bullet proof.

• User
    3 years ago

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel, seems like even though porcelain is difficult to install, could be worth it if you can swing it. would rather do that than have to replace a countertop after only a few short years. and it is really beautiful.

• rebasheba
    3 years ago

I don't have window film and have no stake in the matter, but just as a point of clarification I'm talking about stuff that is applied onto existing windows (not replacement windows). There are clear ones that block UV without a tint.

• Z Y
    3 years ago

Does anyone have any insight around the chipping of porcelain? I got porcelain countertops and am going to use a fabricator that is very experienced with them, however, he still mentions the high risk of chipping and I’m searching to see if anyone has more insight. Thanks in advance

• kathyg_in_mi
    3 years ago

I have a porcelain kitchen sink and I have a chip in, also my Silestone has a chip in the edge right above the dishwasher. Probably hit it loading or emptying the DW. You can't see it, but can feel it.

• Z Y
    3 years ago

Oh! Silestone is quartz, correct? (Still learning). That means quartz chips easily too?

• PRO
    Sabrina Balsky Interior Design
    3 years ago

I would recommend Natural Quartzite. Quartz is a manmade material and not a good choice for longevity.

Jeanine Kitchen Remodel thanked Sabrina Balsky Interior Design
Sponsored