webuser_235486713

HDF (High Density Fiberboard) for Kitchen Cabinet Doors? Pros & Cons?

T R
3 years ago

We are shopping kitchen cabinets and have looked at Kraftmaid, Diamond and Kith. A trusted contractor wants us to look at the assembled U. S. Cabinet Depot Highland Series with Shaker White doors. The cabinet specs look nice with 1/2" plywood box, 3/4" plywood shelves, 1/2" plywood back, 3/4" hardwood face frame, 5/8" dovetailed hardwood drawers with 3/8" plywood floor, etc BUT the specs for the doors call for 5 piece mortise and tenon construction using HDF (High Density Fiberboard). According to their FAQ, "Painted doors will utilize high quality HDF for longer life and to reduce the cracking that normally happens with hardwood joints overtime."

Seems to me the doors are a step down in quality of materials as compared to the rest of the cabinet. Personally, I have never had a hardwood joint on a cabinet door crack over time, but I suppose it happens with wide changes in humidity. But HDF just does not seem like a suitable material for cabinet doors, especially around a kitchen sink.

Does anyone have any experience with these cabinets or any made similarly using HDF? It looks like we could save some money choosing these cabinets, but is there a trade off in construction?

Comments (15)

• Shannon Wells Andrews
    2 years ago

did you end up using HDF? ive had mine for two months and already have four cracked doors snd csn see new cracks forming in others so so mad

• Tina Cain
    last year

My HDF cabinets from Boger Cabinetry after I asked for all wood, have already in a year's time started bubbling up swelling. I contact them and they say it is due to water damage on a product I did not want in the first place. I do not know what to do. I believe a kitchen is a wet area so why? The rest of the cabinets are all wood but poorly constructed because one cabinet is missing bracket and fell apart. Wow be careful what you buy I guess, but I remember saying wanted all wood. Not even lasted a year, so disappointing. There is supposed to be a home improvement law not sure what to do.

• Tina Cain
    last year

They will try to trick you into buying HDF., stating it is a wood product. Too late after you pay down payment and you find out what the product is. I was told restocking fee. I said all wood, but they can argue it is a wood product. I say that is deceitful. They will refer you to a contractor say their guy but, in the end, they will argue independent contractor.

• dlg71261
    last year

So doing my kitchen now and have option of painted maple or painted HDF. Could probably get another painted wood too.
    They are pushing HDF for same reasons you noted, but I have a painted wood Strauss bathroom vanity and no problems after 4 years.
    Not sure what to do and these are dura supreme cabinets that they are selling

• bry911
    last year

HDF is not more moisture resistant than solid wood. That is a ridiculous statement. High quality HDF is a good product, but like every wood based product it has strengths and weaknesses.

HDF is more moisture resistant than MDF, but they are not going to start building outdoor furniture or decks out of it any time soon.

• Tina Cain
    last year
    last modified: last year

Ridiculous is right HDF swelled and bubbled up. I had solid wood prior never ever any problems. Sales guy should've listened my request for all wood. Again deceitful not telling me up front.

• dlg71261
    last year

I have not ordered my cabinets yet, but do have choice of painted maple cabinet door or painted HDF door.
    Yes I know seasonal cracking at the joints can happen with all wood doors , but from what I can see any scratches or nicks that aren’t touched up and have been exposed to water are much more likely to swell and have issue if HDF. The only reviews I really trust are from end users like you Tina . I’m sorry you have had to deal with that

• cheri127
    last year

It's highly unlikely that cabinet doors (not boxes) will ever suffer sufficient water damage to cause them to swell, even if nicked or scratched. I guess the base cabinet doors would be at risk if your kitchen were under 5+ inches of water but I'm guessing the whole kitchen wouldbe in peril if that were the case, no matter what material was used for the doors.

• bry911
    last year

@User - Hi Verbo…

Wood is absolutely more moisture resistant than typical MDF/HDF. Most of the moisture protection on non moisture resistant particleboards is coming from the coating. How that affects your kitchen really depends on the particulars of your kitchen. Generally, scratches and dings on vertical surfaces are less likely to absorb moisture, however, scratches and dings on horizontal surfaces can be quite susceptible to water damage. Fortunately, there are relatively few horizontal surfaces exposed to water in the average kitchen.

The other problem with MDF/HDF is that it is not very impact resistant. HDF is a little better than MDF but is still far from the impact resistance of wood. So many people will choose to either skin particleboard type doors or use wood for rails and styles.

Still, it is a kitchen, not a boat. So how much protection you need from moisture is arguable.

• Tina Cain
    last year
    last modified: last year

My damage was on the cabinet door fronts HDF swelled and bubbled. Never happened with my old wood doors. All kitchens have moisture problems especially around sink, dishwasher and I guess where steam rises. I recall the new HDF cabinets needing touch up when installed. I believe the coating damage might be caused, during the put together process in an over stocked storage area where I bought the cabinets. It is an office area next to their showroom. I like real wood and to me selling HDF as real wood is deceptive as it is not real wood. It may have shavings along with resin or glue that can break down not sure. The salesman argued with me to the max and claims himself to be a CEO of two-man crew along with whoever puts together their cabinets. Do not utilize their contractors as they may not be licensed or bonded and that is their so called professional (buddy system). Check around.

• PRO
    Walcraft Cabinetry
    8 months ago

We've been distributing US Cabinet Depot cabinets to our customers for years and have never had a single warranty claim for issues with their HDF doors. I cannot speak to other companies' HDF quality or their finish quality. If the finish is thin, water will get in. If the finish is done properly and meets the appropriate Mil thickness, then water will never get to the HDF. Many US-made cabinets have to adhere to strict finish requirements and use Water Borne finishes, or types of lacquer that are thin and allow moisture. US Cabinet Depot cabinets have a great finish and use conversion varnish. I've always been an "all-wood guy" until we started working with USCD. Once cabinet line we used to distribute constantly cracked at the stile and rail joint. We were always having problems. So it is also very much about the manufacturer and the process they use for the materials they use. A "Real Wood" cabinet door can have lots of issues if the wood is not properly dried, or glued. And a company that uses HDF will have problems if the finish is thin, or water based. I recommend US cabinet depot as we've never had a single issue. If you're going to buy cabinets with HDF doors, just make sure the finish is either Conversion Varnish or Solvent-Based PU Urethane. NOT waterborne or lacquer.

• Yanso
    2 months ago

I am about to make a decision on a kitchen cabinet order. I prefer having the cabinet doors in painted solid wood (5 piece construction) but a cabinet supplier said HDF (one piece construction) is their best recommendation for painted doors to avoid any telegraphing joints. They also said it would be a waste of money and material to have solid wood door in painted finish because the wood grains will only show in stained finish. Apart from the moisture, swelling or bubbling up issue, I am also concerned that the extra weight of HDF doors will pose undue pressure on the hinges and lead to premature door sagging. Can anyone share your experience and advise if my concern is valid? What do you think about the supplier's comments on HDF and solid wood doors? @T R and @dlg71261, what did you choose in the end?

• dlg71261
    2 months ago

I ended up choosing painted maple doors and cabinets being installed next week so we will see

• Andrea Morrell USDA Z5 / CAD 5B
    2 months ago

Solid maple painted doors (5 piece) installed in 1993. Pic is of pull-down drawers & cabinet under kitchen sink. Other than dirt (2 Goldens like to lie here) and some peeling on top of R cabinet door, ALL doors & drawers in our kitchen are rock solid. No issue with joints separating. Kitchen mfg is Raywal.

Sponsored