allisoncbeers

Quest for tumbled limestone flooring in the US?!?

Allison Jaws
4 years ago

I have fallen in love with the tumbled limestone floors that are always featured in DeVol kitchens (see photos for reference). The plain English kitchen just isn't complete without them. Unfortunately, every internet search leads me straight to a UK supplier. HELP! Where can I purchase large tumbled limestone floor tiles in the United States for my Pennsylvania farmhouse kitchen?!

Comments (72)

• kay
    3 years ago

@Allison Jaws

also there is this company. They import from France. Takes about 16 weeks so if you’re not in a hurry it would be a great option.

http://www.sbimaterials.com/product-categories/stone-products/limestone/

most are 5/8” thick and $14-19 sf

• PRO
    ProSource Memphis
    3 years ago

$50-100 a square foot would be an appropriate budget for this, when including labor. Possibly more if the subfloor needs extensive prep.

• megslam06
    3 years ago

Hi what did you wind up installing? I am looking at the brushed limestone from floor snd decor as well. Trying to decide between that and slate.

• A E
    3 years ago

I'm also curious what you ended up with since I am looking for something similar.

• PRO
    B Kelley Renovations
    3 years ago

I have also been on the same yearlong quest. i finally found a US distributor.

https://www.stonepartnership.com/products/pyrenees-grey-16-x-random-lengths-old-heritage/

• A E
    3 years ago

That's beautiful, B Kelley Renovations. I just found this, which seems like a reasonably priced and accessible version. I want to order a sample but with shipping it is over $60 so I'm waffling. https://www.stonetiledepot.com/tiles/limestone/beige/sinai-pearl-tumbled-16x24/

• sarah_douglass1
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@B Kelley Renovations, I love that stone. Do you have any info on the pricing for that?

• chiflipper
    3 years ago

These stone floors are common in the UK because their homes do not have basements or crawl spaces. In 90% of cases the stone was laid directly on the bare ground - yet another reason UK "character homes" are so darn cold and costly to heat. If an owner can afford to retrofit with underfloor heating their homes command a much higher resale value.

• PRO
    B Kelley Renovations
    3 years ago

I reached out to stone partnership and they gave me a distributor in my area. I haven’t had the best luck with actually getting a quote from the local distributors. I contacted Jacob from stone partnership and he was very responsive.

Jagran@stonepartnership.com

• Olivia Koscianski
    3 years ago

I’m on the same hunt but in Canada! 😩

• A E
    3 years ago

If you have unlimited financial resources, you can get these types of floors from these folks (you can view the prices in CAD so maybe they ship to Canada): https://pavehdm.com/collections/french-limestone-flooring-and-bluestone-pavers

Or I think deVOLs sister flooring company can take special orders to the US ... so maybe Canada?? (I am assuming this because I recently saw a kitchen in NY that had their floors sourced from here): https://www.floorsofstone.com/our-tile-range?field_tile_category_tid_2=3

• Vineet Malik
    3 years ago

Did you end up finding the floors. I'm on the same quest and keep finding companies in the UK

• Olivia Koscianski
    3 years ago

Unfortunately my financial resources are not unlimited and I’m searching for something reasonably priced - I have time as we’ve hit the pause button as we wait for lumber prices to come down so just hoping I can find a distributor that’s in Canada.

My inspo for these floors was McGee and Co’s laundry room, here’s the link for the tiles they used:

https://www.xsurfaces.com/#/category/2-Stone/collection/3-Heritage/product/22-Menara%20Gray%20Rustic

But obviously it’s a US source so doesn’t help me, but their flooring is beautiful.

• stiley
    3 years ago

This woman is always at the antiques show in Round Top, TX. She imports from France. I've seen her booth and the tile is amazing. This article is a couple of years old, but I'm pretty sure she was at the spring show this month: https://roundtop.com/home-design/alisanne-wonderland-brings-french-limestone-to-round-top/ 

• John Stirton
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Did you ever choose a floor tile? We are in the same position and found ourselves looking at the floor and decor Ashford gray brushed limestone as well

• kay
    2 years ago

@Allison Jaws Did you install any of the flooring discussed here? I was considering the honed limestone from Floor & Decor too but would like to see any photos of what you selected, if you don’t mind. @megslam06 Did you install the Floor & Decor flooring?

I am trying to decide between the Floor and Decor ones or the one below:

elysium porcelain tile ostuni:

https://elysiumtiles.com/product?id=Ostuni+Grigio+16+x+16

You can see it here in this photo too, in a more modern organic application.

Same bathroom, it just is pulling a litter more taupe in the top photo but I can confirm it is teh Grigo color.

• Kyle Pearson
    2 years ago

I lovr tbese i cant figure out how to get a sample - did you

• Maria
    2 years ago

Hi, Don't know if you already found the flooring you're looking for but you should check with the quarry called https://ledgerock.com/ in Ontario. They have a factory outlet that will cut to any size you need. I think the outlet only opens to the public in the summer.

• PRO
    not a business
    2 years ago

@kay Hello, I love your find with Elysium. Was wondering if you ever were able to find a dealer/pricing? I'm going to do some investigating on my own, but the Ostuni looks gorgeous. I too am in love with the French limestone and am dying to install in my master remodel, but the pricing is off the charts for my budget.

• PRO
    not a business
    2 years ago
    1. @M Wynne I love it! Is that your actual installation of the flooring? How realistic is it in person, does it look like the real thing to you (ie french limestone)? I'm in the process of trying to get samples, having a hard time justifying the high shipping cost from Tile-Expert. I'm also contacting Bedrosians to see if this in fact the same tile that they carry under the name of "Pietra Ionica". Their shipping is more affordable, but I'm not sure if in fact, it is the same tile. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • kay
    2 years ago

@not a business

Yes i did find a few local dealers and it is about $8 sf. You can contact Elysium and they will put you in contact with a local dealer to you. I do belive Bedrosians is the same as I have had both samples in hand to compare

• PRO
    not a business
    2 years ago

@kay Ahh, so it does look like the same tile then. Online, the Bedrosian grigio looks darker to me and not as chiseled, but I know a lot has to do with my computer screen, brightness settings etc. I might just start with them, the price per sq ft is pretty affordable at 4.49, but then I know I need to factor in shipping. I'll also try contacting Elysium per your suggestion. I'm in NJ so I would imagine they've got someone in the tristate area that's within driving distance here. Especially since we're so close to Philly.

• M Wynne
    2 years ago

Yes, that picture is our actual floor in our nook! I love that there is so much variation. Here are a few more pictures, from our kitchen, with just natural light and with all the kitchen lights on. My goal was to achieve the Humphrey Munson limestone flooring look, and I think we did!

• PRO
    not a business
    2 years ago

@M Wynne Stunning....love your cabinets and the contrast between the dark and light flooring. Just beautiful! You really knocked your project out of the park....thanks so much for sharing!!!!

• Anne Mulholland
    last year

@not a business

Were you able to find this tile in NJ?

• PRO
    not a business
    last year

@Anne Mulholland I ordered the Bedrosians sample of Pietra Ionica in Grigio. I purchased a few and truthfully, it just wasn't enough to go by, I think they are approx 3" x 3" pieces. I did find something very similar at The Tile Shop in Mt Laurel NJ. It might be the the "Pietra Di Ostuni" by Cerdomus, I really can't remember, but they have sample boards in the store. I just didn't care for it in person and it looked different coloration wise to the Bedrosians samples I purchased.

I found something gorgeous from Francois and Co, but because it's 1" thick it would really up my installation cost. Here's a link: https://francoisandco.com/products/cobblestone-de-france-grey Prices out at $16/sq ft. In the end I've decided to go with Italian White Carrara marble flooring to match my shower. It's a compromise, but you can't go wrong with all marble in my opinion :) Hope this helps you in your decision process!

• cat_clock
    last year

I've been searching for nearly a year. I think Pietra is the best. I have samples for all:

Pietra di Ostuni: Avorio, Sabbia, Grigio

Bedrosians

Francois & Co: paris Grey and Dubuisson

Above is Bedrosians. The color names seemed similar-- Bedrosians shipping is cheaper than Tile Expert. So I ordered 2-- they are GARBAGE. You can see in person they look printed, and the surface is fairly uniform. They are about the same price as Pietra and totally different in quality even if in pictures they look okay.

I was going to order Francois and co: they are at $12 and $14 thought prices have gone up, but I was so impressed with Pietra di Ostuni that I was able to let go of the authentic limestone and settle for tile. The customer service with Francois and Co is very lovely and if I had it in my budget I would've gone with their product.

However, when you put Pietra and Dubuisson actual limestone side by side, they look exactly the same.

I did also find this along my search:

https://www.stonetiledepot.com/product/sinai-pearl-brushed-and-tumbled-16x24/

It was cheaper by the square foot but the shipping something like doubled the total price.

Hope this helps save someone time on this search!

• PRO
    not a business
    last year

Here's one more for the mix, but really difficult to get as it's only sold in the UK. The company is Mandarin Stone. Product: Lulworth Grey I can't believe this is porcelain. https://www.mandarinstone.com/product/lulworth-grey-porcelain/

• Amy Brown
    last year

houzz://user/m_wynne your flooring is beautiful! But I’m confused about where you got that beautiful tile? From Tile Expert? Shipping is so expensive, so I’m hoping you got it elsewhere!

• M Wynne
    last year

Hi! We purchased from tile expert. When we purchased, shipping plus the cost of the tile was still less per square foot than the cost of just the tile that we were quoted by a US based tile company. That said, it was before all of the supply chain issues and inflation. But it doesn’t hurt to get multiple quotes to compare!

• floridafarmhouse
    last year
    last modified: last year

Hi! I've been following this thread for a while since I was looking for the same thing for our screened-in porch. I stumbled upon a company that has a patented concrete paver that looks like real stone and has many stunning photos in their portfolio as well as their Instagram feed so I thought I would share! I'm ordering a sample kit today: Peacock Pavers.

And they're very reasonably priced. It depends on the color (they have 6 colors) but for either the 2x2 or 18x18 (they have many sizes available but after seeing their website, I am now going to do a checkerboard pattern), it was between $8/sq ft to $9.75/sq ft. You might want to check them out!

• Emily Wilder
    last year

Hi @Allison Jaws did you ever install the brushed limestone from floor and decor? are you happy with it and do you have images?? Im in a crunch looking for an affordable optoption for my kitch floor and stumbled on your post. Thank you for the help!

• HU-43329266
    9 months ago

@M Wynne and @cat_clock I'm so grateful for your research and photos. I've been on a year-long search for tumbled limestone tile for our kitchen & laundry. I did find some that looks lovely based on wee samples & photos, but at $10/sqft for 550 sqft that is a major investment & transformation to make with a stone not traditionally recommended for kitchens. There is also ample pitting on the tiles, which I'd want to fill in a kitchen to avoid funk/crumbs accumulating. It's also trickier to lay, I believe, due to porosity and color considerations re: mastic bleeding through... Then there's the common objection in the U.S. to limestone in kitchens re: relative softness of the stone.

What I've learned through my research is that while limestone is indeed going strong after centuries of kitchen use in Europe, that was sourced on that continent and is a harder stone... Meanwhile the limestone we can access in the U.S. seems to largely come from Turkey ("Jerusalem stone") and I see mixed information about its hardness. Our kitchen is also our backdoor/main entrance in our rural setting, our sole dining table area, and when our large dog is relegated -- no kids but it gets a lot of dog claws, chair scooting, dirty boots etc. We don't want a "perfect" floor and welcome patina, but overall there are just too many unknowns and risks to proceed with a Turkish limestone IMO. (That said I wouldn't hesitate in an office or non-kitchen space.)

Anyway I have been pretty adamant about not doing "faux" anything but am now considering the Italian porcelain you've recommended. I just ordered samples of all colors--samples were only available in "grip" as opposed to "nat" style/finish, whatever that means in case one of you can shed light on the difference? If we do go that direction we will save about $1K on the tile purchase (factoring in shipping, which is considerable for the Pietra but free for the more expensive limestone) but also have the peace of mind of tried and true porcelain. Can't wait to see the samples. Thank you!

• M Wynne
    9 months ago

The grip finish can be used outdoors. Ours is the nat finish. But I believe the color comparison will be the same.

• HU-43329266
    9 months ago

Thanks for that. Does that mean the grip finish is more textured presumably? I worry that unlevel fluctuations would make sweeping difficult which is why we ruled out some natural stones. Last question if you don't mind, we are replacing an existing floor and due to adjacent flooring etc need a traditional 3/8" tile. As these are manufactured in Italy the dimensions are provided in centimeters, although I've found sometimes distributors round up or down a smidge in their product listings... Were you working with a 3/8" elevation space as well or at least would you say any difference is negligible? THANKS! You're my kitchen hero right now!

• M Wynne
    9 months ago

Awww thank you! I am unsure about sweeping the grip finish, but I bet you are right. I would definitely recrecommend the nat finish for a kitchen. Ours is easy to sweep and mop. I’m not sure about our elevation though. It was a new build. But you should be able to Google what the 3/8 in to cm conversion is.

• Farmer Chundo
    4 months ago

I wanted to recreate an English flagged floor in my 1823 farmhouse. I used chiseled edge slate tiles 24 x 36 from the stone and tile shoppe and it worked out great, looks like a flagged floor and it was economical. You would never know that it's 3/8" thick tile. With the large format your subfloor has to be perfectly flat and that was a project. Kitchen is still in progress! Doing all the tiling myself. Still waiting to have wooden 6 over 6 windows to replace the vinyl junk.

https://stoneandtileshoppe.com/collections/chiseled-tiles/products/montauk-black-chiseled-slate-tile?variant=32323280076862

• Farmer Chundo
    4 months ago

ps I think the slate in a honed finish looks better than most limestones available in the US. I did an enhancing sealer with a shine to emulate the waxed stone look. It came out fantastic.

• PRO
    not a business
    4 months ago

Stunning! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!

• Megan Marelich
    4 months ago

What grout color did you end up using?

• cat_clock
    4 months ago

I think laticrete bright white.

• Jeana Corker
    2 months ago

If you are ok with a darker color limestone, Artistic Tile has one with a chiseled edge in a charcoal color (more of a Belgium bluestone look).

https://www.artistictile.com/products/noir-snoa1624

• HU-611783450
    2 months ago

I live in Canada and got this from a place in the UK called Quarn Stone. I used a logistics company to ship it. Shipping was 1500$ for one skid which wasnt bad.

this is the hambleton grey porcelain, it gives the natural stone look which i like. hopefully this helps!

• Megan Marelich
    2 months ago

I love that company. Glad to hear that they have the option to ship here!

• HU-678929106
    last month

Check out Francois & Co in Atlanta. I was able to get gorgeous ”Dubuisson Tumbled” 16x24 stone flooring for an extremely reasonable price! Pavehdm.com also has wonderful flooring, etc., but they are definitely more expensive. We paid about four times as much for a similar flooring for our VA home to what we purchased at Francois & Co. for our home in the South.

• Megan Marelich
    last month

Could you post pics?

• Amanda T
    9 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

@M-Wynne do you mind sharing what color of the ostuni you installed? We're looking at it in the Tufo, and wondering if it's the same. Your install looks lovely!!

Thanks

• M Wynne
    9 days ago

We have the Avorio, thank you!!

Sponsored