carolly

Gas and Induction Cooktop Combos (Namely Fisher and Paykel)

carolly
4 years ago

I love to cook, especially Asian food, and this typically requires high heat. I'm attracted to the idea of having both gas and induction cooktops (no ranges), but both of these must fit within a 36" base cabinet.

So I looked into the Fisher and Paykel 24" Natural Gas Cooktop combined with their 12" Induction Cooktop. (I've already committed to purchasing Fisher & Paykel as I love their design aesthetic.) If there are other good combos that are NOT F&P brand I would be willing to check it out as long as it can fit the 36" size.

My problem is that the F&P 24" gas cooktop only has a max burner output of 11,000 BTUs, whereas their 36" cookop is at 19,000 BTUs. I also haven't cooked much with induction before, and not sure if I could get the same max heat from it versus a gas stove.

Has anyone ever had this setup before with both gas and induction, yet with the lesser burner output on the gas to meet all their cooking needs? I wanted the best of both worlds with having a dual type cooktop, but then the heat output might disappointing. Here are my options:

1) 24" gas (11,000 btu) + 12" Induction

2) 36" gas (19,000 btu)

3) 36" induction

With an all-induction cooktop, my fear then becomes whether my electric bill will skyrocket (southern california). I cook quite a bit but not sure what the best type of cooktop for my needs would be...advice would be appreciated!

Comments (13)

• User
    4 years ago

You need all induction. Then all you need is the right wok. Induction can get hot enough to burn off the carbonized coating off a standard wok.

carolly thanked User
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I too want both because we often suffer power outages and can use propane. Don't know the size on this arrangement but it looks pretty big considering the hood.

Induction Mixes with Gas Cooktop · More Info

• Mary Mary
    4 years ago

Thermidor makes a 36” combination gas/induction range

• weedmeister
    4 years ago

It seems to me that there are some European vendors (Miele? Bosch? Thermador?) that make a modular system where you can combine gas and induction together.

carolly thanked weedmeister
  • darbuka
    4 years ago

“It seems to me that there are some European vendors (Miele? Bosch? Thermador?) that make a modular system where you can combine gas and induction together.”

So does Wolf.

• carolly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It's the trouble of finding something that would be affordable/in my price range too. Seems like there is a lot of discussion out there on the pros and cons of induction vs gas, but I'm also trying to see if there's any reason to have both as a combo. Thanks for the input!

• darbuka
    4 years ago

A friend of mine got a gas rangetop, and also keeps a portable induction hob on the counter. This way she has both cooking types, without breaking the bank. You just have to make sure to buy a quality, powerful induction hob. They cost a bit more, but far less than getting a modular combo.

carolly thanked darbuka
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

This Cuisinart is only $148 on Amazon. I'm considering one for a kitchenette at a vacation rental property.

This one is $201 and has better reviews and more stars, but I'm not familiar with the brand. "Buyer beware" and "you get what you pay for" are always in the back of my mind, but for the light usage I expect (guests will have the option of a private chef to do serious cooking) I think something like these will work for them if they don't want to engage the chef. They can use it to re-heat leftovers or cook breakfast. I doubt they'll prepare Thanksgiving dinner on it.

• dadoes
    4 years ago

Portable/countertop induction units typically operate on 120v current vs. full-size/installed units running on 240v which provides more power capacity.

carolly thanked dadoes
  • decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

The only Bosch on Amazon was $800+ and got one poor review regarding the impossibility of cleaning it. There was another brand with a special glass that was supposed to be very easy to maintain/clean. The Duxtop single burner one was reviewed in several articles about the top 10 portable induction cooktops and was #1 in at least two of them I found. It seems the company that makes them is well-known and well-reviewed. www.duxtop.com

https://www.thespruce.com/best-induction-cooktops-4135123

https://homekitchenary.com/best-portable-induction-cooktop/

carolly thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    The Chair Affair LLC
    3 years ago

I have a 30" Wolf Induction cooktop and a 15" Wolf single wok gas burner that's very powerful, i think 18000 btu's. I rarely use the gas burner. The induction is fantastic and even more responsive than gas. Plus, it gives off much less heat into the kitchen than gas.

• Sandy Wu
    last year

Hello @carolly… it’s been 2 years what cooking appliance did you end up getting? I am thinking about F&P 36” gas cooktop

Sponsored