ecarte01

How to get thick exterior window trim look with cedar impressions.

Erika Lucchese
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, we want to re-do our siding and put new construction windows in our home. We want to use certainteed cedar impressions and pvc exterior window trim. The problem is our contractor only wants to use a 5/4” j channel around the windows. I don’t like that look because the edges of the trim look thin and flimsy. Is there an easy way to get the look below on the trim

when your home has cedar impressions?

Comments (5)

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

I assume you are not going to mount it on top of siding like in your picture? The look below is sometimes done when the siding has been done and there was not any trim before.

you could put something behind the pvc to fir it out such as a 3/4” board. Vinyl siding needs the j and often looks better with trim that is simpler Aluminum capped trim seems like more of a natural fit with vinyl siding and typically is what is used On the soffits and fascia.

• Erika Lucchese
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I somewhat agree. Now considering hardie cedar impressions with hardie trim. However our contractor seems against it and says he doesn’t do a lot of hardie so I’m nervous for him to install.

• PRO
    toddinmn
    4 years ago

when in doubt, go with your gut.

what windows are going with?

• Erika Lucchese
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pella proline

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

If you contractor seems nervous, I would not want to push him out of his comfort zone. I would much rather have LP than Hardie for the record and if he doesn't have a guy that works with a solid board siding, I wouldn't want to be the first.

Sponsored