katie_halebyrne

My kitchen needs a refresh!

Katie B.
4 years ago

I apologize if this posts twice, but after not seeing it show up for a day, I’m thinking my embedded photos are holding things up. Help me with my kitchen!

We have been in our house for 10 years. There are two main areas that I’ve been collecting ideas about for the past decade. The exterior/front (I’ve already cluttered the dilemma pages on this one). And the Kitchen! There are too many talented people here for me not to ask “what would you do” about my kitchen.

This is my kitchen (minus the staging in this photo, + window treatments).

It’s a fine kitchen. But it’s builder basic in a lot of ways, and very beige. The cabinets aren’t solid wood. It has a 6-inch granite backsplash, except behind the range. I’m not looking to do a full kitchen renovation, but I know it can be improved. Our lower doors are trashed from kids, dogs, bikes, scooters, etc etc. At the very least, we’ll replace the doors/hardware. Paint too...we could paint the island or paint the uppers or lowers in different colors.

I would prefer not to rip out the granite backsplash, as I know the issues with imperfect counter fabrications against the wall, wall damage, etc. The granite counters are fine, although a butcher block island or contrasting granite on the island would be swoon-y.

Could I do a full wall backsplash (above granite and above cabinets) in wood, subway tile, or maybe even wallpaper? What about doing an accent wall on only one of the walls of the kitchen?

I really like the look of open shelving and simple/deconstructed kitchens.

Could I take down some uppers and install open shelves (maybe that shelving unit on the very right of the photo?). Would it look weird to do a counter-to-ceiling backsplash on just that one section of wall behind the open shelves?

I really love custom range hoods too. I have a few ideas about this that involve adding or deleting cabinetry. I could add open cabinets to the ceiling above our cabinets, relocate the microwave and add a hood. Or, I could remove the cabinets that surround the microwave, relocate the microwave, add a hood, and maybe add open shelves on each side.

I’m not a designer or construction person, and I’m very likely oversimplifying some of these ideas. I also have very eclectic tastes- rustic, modern, English country, farmhouse.

HELP ME!

Thank you so much for your ideas!

I‘ll post some Inspiration photos in the comments.

Comments (20)

Sponsored